Albany WA

Old Oct 4th 2013, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Vernsdownunder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Albany WA

Hi all,

Anyone living or knows about Albany?

What is it like for living with children 14 12 & 8

The place looks beautiful but is there plenty for children and how are the schools and social activities.

My children love scouts, rugby outdoor activities and being with groups of other children their ages.

Any feedback on the lifestyle and living would be greatly appreciated.

Is there anyone moving over shortly?

Thanks
Old Oct 4th 2013, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Albany WA

Reminds me of felixstowe.... Small seaside town... I stand to be corrected, because I have only ever visited, not lived...There PROBABLY is plenty to do... But it's a long way from the bright lights of..... Well....anywhere

Originally Posted by Vernsdownunder
Hi all,

The place looks beautiful but is there plenty for children and how are the schools and social activities.

My children love scouts, rugby outdoor activities and being with groups of other children their ages.

Thanks
Old Oct 4th 2013, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

There's a TAFE and schools and plenty of community activity going on....

Where are you coming from? will moving to a "small town" which, although self sufficient with all amenities, is pretty isolated be a big shock?
Old Oct 4th 2013, 12:12 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks
Hi Verns, I don't live in Albany (I'm in Perth) but one of our mates does and we visit often. We both love the place. Being (almost) empty nesters I can't comment on activities for kids, although I see plenty of them around! Specific things my Brit husband and I love about the place are:

the weather - so much cooler than Perth in summer, and not that much colder in winter
the beaches - absolutely gorgeous
the scenery - as well as The Gap (scary!) there are so many beautiful places around the coast, we're still stumbling across new ones after 10 years
whale watching - self explanatory

The town centre is relatively small, but full of interesting little shops as well as major supermarkets/chain stores. Lots of nice cafes and a couple of good restaurants. Within an easy day trip to Denmark, a 'hippish' type of place on the coast - the monthly markets are fantastic.

Albany does have a higher percentage of retirees than other parts of WA, which may be a good or bad thing depending on your point of view. Crime is low relative to Perth, and generally of a 'less serious' nature.

I think it would be a great place to bring kids up
Old Oct 5th 2013, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

We are used to quiet village life and already have a good job offer so I think it will be really good.

Thankyou
Old Oct 5th 2013, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You'll be fine then....

Is is bloody gorgeous down there....
Old Oct 5th 2013, 12:43 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

We are used to quiet village life and already have a good job offer so I think it will be really good.

Thankyou
A beautiful place to live and a good job. Welcome to Nirvana Good luck with the move!
Old Oct 5th 2013, 12:50 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine has just moved down there with 3 daughters between age of 7 and 12 and she absolutely loves it.
Old Oct 5th 2013, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the comments.

It all sounds great and I think my 3 children girl 14, boy 12 and girl 8 will all love it. Arrive 1st week Jan - so if anything going on of interest for me to get the children to meet others drop me a line.

Thank you

Vernon
Old Oct 6th 2013, 12:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks for all the comments.

It all sounds great and I think my 3 children girl 14, boy 12 and girl 8 will all love it. Arrive 1st week Jan - so if anything going on of interest for me to get the children to meet others drop me a line.

Thank you

Vernon
be aware that at those ages (the 14 in particular) you will be dealing with homesickness and missing friends ... especially if they have lived in a small village with a close knit group of mates... It may not be easy...

School will be the answer to the meeting friends question...
Old Oct 8th 2013, 12:00 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

My brother-in-law brought up his two children in Albany and they haven't turnrd out too badly!
Old Oct 8th 2013, 5:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Hi Verns, I don't live in Albany (I'm in Perth) but one of our mates does and we visit often. We both love the place. Being (almost) empty nesters I can't comment on activities for kids, although I see plenty of them around! Specific things my Brit husband and I love about the place are:

the weather - so much cooler than Perth in summer, and not that much colder in winter
the beaches - absolutely gorgeous
the scenery - as well as The Gap (scary!) there are so many beautiful places around the coast, we're still stumbling across new ones after 10 years
whale watching - self explanatory

The town centre is relatively small, but full of interesting little shops as well as major supermarkets/chain stores. Lots of nice cafes and a couple of good restaurants. Within an easy day trip to Denmark, a 'hippish' type of place on the coast - the monthly markets are fantastic.

Albany does have a higher percentage of retirees than other parts of WA, which may be a good or bad thing depending on your point of view. Crime is low relative to Perth, and generally of a 'less serious' nature.

I think it would be a great place to bring kids up

Definitely on my must visit list.... I've heard that it's one of the windiest places in Australia ?
Old Oct 12th 2013, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

trewaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

Good to be here!

Just like Vernsdownunder, we are also thinking about heading to Albany (family with a small child). Just got our PR and want to choose place in WA where summers are bearable, as we had "pleasure" to survive summer in Perth two years ago

All looks good apart from the job market side. Although the statistical firgures show that Albany has low unemployment rate, I am wondering if I will be able to find the job for me. I am a mining related profession and don't expect to get a local job.

Because of the above, I am thinking about taking any job to survive for the first few months looking for a FIFO contract at the same time. I was thinking about becoming a carer as there are so any retirees over there. My wife could work morning shifts and I could take evening ones. Do you guys think it's a good idea?

Will be grateful for your suggestions.

Cheers

Last edited by trewaz; Oct 12th 2013 at 7:34 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 3:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Reminds me of felixstowe.... Small seaside town... I stand to be corrected, because I have only ever visited, not lived...There PROBABLY is plenty to do... But it's a long way from the bright lights of..... Well....anywhere
I know Felixstowe and never saw a resemblance. Albany has far more advantages. It is a little remote but that is WA. Perth can hardly be said to be bright lights. I'd go for Albany if coming to WA, especially with a job there.
Old Oct 13th 2013, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
There's a TAFE and schools and plenty of community activity going on....

Where are you coming from? will moving to a "small town" which, although self sufficient with all amenities, is pretty isolated be a big shock?
No more a shock than the sprawling suburbia of the metro area. Albany's relative ease of getting around from A to B is an added attraction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.