Albany

Old Oct 20th 2003, 9:26 am
Just Joined

Donk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Albany

Hi, new on the forum will shortly be making move to WA with my wife and daughter looking at Albany or Busselton areas anyone have experience or thoughts on these areas. My reasons for these above others is holidayed in the region and loved it more than Perth and also more affordable housing. Yet I know 3 weeks holiday does not tell a full story.
Old Oct 27th 2003, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Went down to Albany over weekend depending what you do very limited for jobs seems very backward and far too much in breeding.

Houses are still affordable and some great views that are far nicer than Perth. Denmark which is further along is fantastic and apart from Kalbarri the only place we have been on our travels that we thought wow we could live here.

Busselton was OK, Margaret River not impressed why anyone raves about I don't know, Bunbury not bad.

If you want street maps of the south areas checkout www.andimaps.com.au

The plus side for the south is its green, beautiful wild flowers, hills etc. The minus side limited work opportunitys and the weather summer is warm not hot but from what locals say unpredictable. and winter is OK if you like 142 days of rain.

Not sure if thats of any use to you.
Old Oct 28th 2003, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

We've holidayed in Albany and would go back again, but not to live. Busselton was deserted when we went (in winter). We wouldn't want to be so far away from Perth, it appears that everything happens/exists in Perth, too bad if you live in "the country". All the best universities/hospitals/schools/facilities etc are in Perth and it does sometimes feel like you live in a second-rate town if you don't live in the city itself. We chose Mandurah because we didn't want to live right in Perth, but at least it's only an hour's drive away. We have all the facilities we need here, but it's all on a much smaller (and older) scale. If you want to live so far south, I'd be inclined to say live in a city like Albany or Bunbury, rather than any of the other towns dotted about, otherwise you may feel even more isolated. Also bear in mind that whilst the house and land prices may be cheaper, the shopping and petrol prices will be higher. We stayed near to Bunbury when we first emigrated, but bought all our furniture and electrical appliances in Mandurah and Perth, as the identical products in the Bunbury outlets were dearer, and of course you had to wait for delivery from guess where? Perth!
Old Oct 30th 2003, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Zebra4 is on a distinguished road

Albany is an acquired taste. The people who've lived there years, love it. A bit like if you move to the Mull of Kintyre - you'd have to have a definite reason for going there but then if everything slotted in for you, you'd stay forever.

Busselton is for those who have a definite reason for going there. Say you had family, or a trade to go to, or a business to set up there, you could do very well. It's not like a country town or village in Britain, but a good base for a holiday.

If you're coming to WA to take pot luck with the job market, best to stay a couple of weeks, at least, in Perth to find your way around what the opportunities in your field are.

Margaret River is for those who have deep pockets and a vision of future prospects. This is an opportunity for business ideas. I couldn't put up with the weather, tho' - be prepared to light a fire up until Christmas!
Old Oct 30th 2003, 8:14 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Bridgetown for 4 years with my family 7 years ago (am not an expert, was a child then anyway!)

We'd also love to live outside Perth, after a while, if we do decide to stay in Oz anyway.
But I think we'd like to be about a maximun of 2 hours from Perth, cos of, well I dunno, Perth does have the airport, and the entertainment centre for concerts, and some of our friends etc.

Anyway, I think the most deciding is work (that's why we are starting in Perth).
I think (this is based on experiences of my dad 7 years ago, and things I've 'heard') that if you're a tradesperson (I don't know exactly wht this means, but I think people like carpenters, brickies?) than you'll be able to get work in the bigger small towns too, if you try hard, try and fit in, make contacts via sports etc.

Well, I'm not sure if I am really saying anything that resembles the 'truth' so, somebody, heeeelllllllllpppppppp!

And Donk, please tell us what sort if work you do, because I think this really matters!