Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Airport stopovers

Airport stopovers

Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Tabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really nice
Default Airport stopovers

We were just wondering....

when you stopover at an airport be it KL or Singapore or wherever on the way to Perth.......

do you get your suitcases back or do they stay on the plane?

What if we plan to stopover for a few hours? I assume we would be on a different plane for the final leg and so our luggage is taken off.

Silly question I suppose.......the reason for asking is because I dont know whether to bring changes of clothes and toiletries for freshening up during the stopover in luggage or hand baggage.

Cheers

Jackie
xxxxxx
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Airport stopovers

If you will be leaving the airport, staying overnight or a few days then generally you will pass through customs and take your luggage with you. If you are staying in the airport, in transit for a few hours while you change planes then your luggage will be booked through to your final destination and you wont see it until the end of your journey.

Be aware that there are regulations about what you can carry with you on the plane as cabin baggage these days - big bottles of liquids are out! Only very small bottles containing liquids can be taken on board - so cleansers, shampoos etc could be an issue.

I rarely stop over because I tend to appreciate getting all the h*ll over in one fell swoop. You then have about an hour in the airport, dont leave transit and get back on the same plane - much easier!
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Tabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really niceTabbiespice is just really nice

Originally Posted by quoll
If you will be leaving the airport, staying overnight or a few days then generally you will pass through customs and take your luggage with you. If you are staying in the airport, in transit for a few hours while you change planes then your luggage will be booked through to your final destination and you wont see it until the end of your journey.

Be aware that there are regulations about what you can carry with you on the plane as cabin baggage these days - big bottles of liquids are out! Only very small bottles containing liquids can be taken on board - so cleansers, shampoos etc could be an issue.

I rarely stop over because I tend to appreciate getting all the h*ll over in one fell swoop. You then have about an hour in the airport, dont leave transit and get back on the same plane - much easier!
Thank you Quoll

We are travelling with 6 children (three under 6) so a stopover may be essential

Yeah I know about the liquids thing.......maybe limit it to babywipes for a quick freshen up. We are thinking of using the singapore transit hotel so as you say we wont see our luggage. Hopefully they provide something to shower with.

Thanks again

Jackie
xxxxxx
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tabbiespice
Thank you Quoll

We are travelling with 6 children (three under 6) so a stopover may be essential

Yeah I know about the liquids thing.......maybe limit it to babywipes for a quick freshen up. We are thinking of using the singapore transit hotel so as you say we wont see our luggage. Hopefully they provide something to shower with.

Thanks again

Jackie
xxxxxx
transit hotel is brilliant do have showers etc

thats we are using when we are going to perth in november
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Quoll

Thanks again

Jackie
xxxxxx
ps good luck on getting yr visa

from a fellow 457 !!1
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

OMG, 6 children? I think I would be taking the shortest route possible and dosing up heavily with Valium (for me!!!!).

I have done the trip with my two children on my own a few times when they were younger and they managed the whole London - Sydney trip no worries. Kids can sleep a lot better than we aged ones can and if you give them an hour's run around when you stop for refuelling they are good as new for the last leg.

Last time I flew, they didnt worry about the babywipes would you believe but they do like to know if you have lip balm (duh!). The airlines are generally pretty good with kids, (especially Qantas but I may be prejudiced there) and usually have most of the stuff you would need for them if you get stuck.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
ps good luck on getting yr visa

from a fellow 457 !!1
Thanks

The NBWA are the biggest headache at the moment

Not even started the visa process yet.

Congrats to you by the way
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks

The NBWA are the biggest headache at the moment

Not even started the visa process yet.

Congrats to you by the way
yes i know on the 457 thread there is some nurses and midwifes who ae in the same situation as you xx very painful