Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Airport security - where's the logic?

Airport security - where's the logic?

Old Nov 23rd 2003, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Airport security - where's the logic?

Dotty's just reminded me about something I wanted to ask about airport security in Oz. Had a strange experience last week and I'm struggling to understand the logic...any comments welcome!!

I flew from Mildura to Melbourne, Mildura being a regional (domestic) airport in northern Victoria. At Mildura airport, I walked into terminal and out thru a single door onto the tarmac and got on the plane - no security, no-one to check my boarding pass, certainly no x-ray scanners, not even asked what I was carrying in my hand luggage.

Boarded the Qantas jet (about 40 seats) and flew to Mel.

On arrival at Melbourne we walked across the tarmac and into the domestic terminal and had to put our bags thru x-ray machines. People walking underneath the metal detetcor are being asked to remove belts, keys etc as they are setting off the alarms. The woman in front of me got stopped and had her bag searched as the x-ray showed she was carrying a pair of scissors.

I really don't understand the logic inthis - isn't this akin to locking the stable door after the horse has bolted ??

(And by the time I got to the baggage carousel, my bag had already been taken off and was with my husband who had come topick me up - there's certainly a lot of trust in that system!)
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 9:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The last time I flew Qantas from London to Oz (last year) , a woman a few rows in front of me produced a complete tapestry set which she proceeded to work on throughout the flight. What got to me was the extremely long needle, and large pair of scissors, she was working with! Full marks to security at Heathrow - you missed that one!
Old Nov 23rd 2003, 10:38 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Regional airport security has been identified as a weak point in "fortress Aussie". To prevent exploitation all passengers entering the terminal are screened to prevent transfers become a security risk.

I find my shoes set off Aussie metal detectors so I now have to wear matching socks on flights.
Old Nov 24th 2003, 1:50 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
Regional airport security has been identified as a weak point in "fortress Aussie". To prevent exploitation all passengers entering the terminal are screened to prevent transfers become a security risk.

I find my shoes set off Aussie metal detectors so I now have to wear matching socks on flights.

My shoes too, and this is all, I no longer take off the belt, put in money, phone, wallet etc - its just the shoes. Bought new pair recently and hoped they wouldn't set it off, they do and they are laceups - wish I'd kept with slip-ons
Old Nov 24th 2003, 1:59 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jayr
My shoes too, and this is all, I no longer take off the belt, put in money, phone, wallet etc - its just the shoes. Bought new pair recently and hoped they wouldn't set it off, they do and they are laceups - wish I'd kept with slip-ons
Shall we call you Imelda?
Old Nov 24th 2003, 2:07 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Shall we call you Imelda?

Now that would be my wife. I bought new ones cos the others had holes in. Even in Queensland at least one pair of shoes should be owned. I was in Melbourne last week and saw a bloke walking throguh the CBD barefoot - must be a Queenslander I thought
Old Nov 24th 2003, 2:18 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Now that would be my wife. I bought new ones cos the others had holes in. Even in Queensland at least one pair of shoes should be owned. I was in Melbourne last week and saw a bloke walking throguh the CBD barefoot - must be a Queenslander I thought
Maybe it was a pineapple farmer from Bundaberg?!
No one in their right mind living in Melb would be without shoes, your feet would get cold & they would get wet walking through the puddles!

Im disappointed now, I thought Dagboy may have found a new mate to discuss the virtues of 200 pairs of shoes with. He just doesnt fit in up here with that many pairs, as you can well imagine
Old Nov 24th 2003, 2:22 am
Karma Comedian

Im disappointed now, I thought Dagboy may have found a new mate to discuss the virtues of 200 pairs of shoes with. He just doesnt fit in up here with that many pairs, as you can well imagine

That's more than a lifetime's worth of shoes to your average Queenslander! And whilst on the subject, what size to ask for when buying shoes? Do I ask for European 44, UK 10 or Aussie something else? It seemed to vary shop to shop and was even worse when I bought my wife some nice Birkies (or is it Birkos).
Old Nov 24th 2003, 2:38 am
Rocket Scientist

That's more than a lifetime's worth of shoes to your average Queenslander! And whilst on the subject, what size to ask for when buying shoes? Do I ask for European 44, UK 10 or Aussie something else? It seemed to vary shop to shop and was even worse when I bought my wife some nice Birkies (or is it Birkos).
You'll have to ask Dagboy about the Birkies/Birkos thing, hes the yuppy in this family, I dont even know what you are talking about . As for the sizes, thats the joys of being multicultural/multilingual/multipodial

Come to think of it we got very strange looks from the removalists when we had 15 boxes of clothes & shoes from our bedroom closet & only 2 were mine (oh dear Im dead meat when he gets home LOL)
Old Nov 24th 2003, 2:50 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs D, when my best mate turns up for the wedding, he and Dagboy will get on just fine! He has more shoes (and clothes) than even Dagboy would believe - and he is the only bloke I've ever met that hangs each t-shirt on a coathanger, and then carries spare coathangers in the car..."just in case" !!!

Jayr, I've found Aussie shoe sizes - and clothes sizes - are generally one size larger than the UK ( size 7 in UK, 8 in Oz - thats shoes by the way, I haven't been that size in clothes since I was about 9!!!!);
Old Nov 24th 2003, 2:53 am
Karma Comedian

Originally posted by Pollyana
Mrs D, when my best mate turns up for the wedding, he and Dagboy will get on just fine! He has more shoes (and clothes) than even Dagboy would believe - and he is the only bloke I've ever met that hangs each t-shirt on a coathanger, and then carries spare coathangers in the car..."just in case" !!!

Pollyanna, I have suspicions that your best mate may be gay.
Old Nov 24th 2003, 2:59 am
Rocket Scientist

Pollyanna, I have suspicions that your best mate may be gay.
Im not even going to go there! LOL

Dagboys just a yuppy, definitely not gay, although hes almost always very happy .
Old Nov 24th 2003, 3:00 am
Karma Comedian

Im not even going to go there! LOL

Dagboys just a yuppy, definitely not gay, although hes almost always very happy .

I would be too with 200 pairs of shoes...happy that is!
Old Nov 24th 2003, 3:01 am
Rocket Scientist

poor HP, we've taken over your thread with talk of shoes & clothes LOL sorry!
Old Nov 24th 2003, 3:01 am
Rocket Scientist

I would be too with 200 pairs of shoes...happy that is!
ROFLMAO!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.