Reload this Page >

Airplane noise - Stanmore, Sydney

Airplane noise - Stanmore, Sydney

Old Oct 7th 2007, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

jondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Airplane noise - Stanmore, Sydney

Hi all,

We've been living in Sydney for 10 months and it's time to buy a house. We've found one we like in Stanmore on William Street (near Stanmore Road) - about 10 mins walk south of Stanmore station. Does anyone know what the airplane noise is like in Stanmore? We sat outside the house today and in an hour two planes were pretty low. Does it ever get really bad?

Any help appreciated.

Jon

PS I'd be interested to know how the plane noise is in surrounding suburbs like Marrickville and Petersham for example.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Airplane noise - Stanmore, Sydney

There's a Sydney airport noise 'map' here:

http://www.sutherland.nsw.gov.au/ssc...23_24_ANEF.pdf

It should give you an indication of the noise levels relative to other suburbs. Don't forget that the north/south runway is used far more frequently than the east/west one.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 10:39 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jondon
Hi all,

We've been living in Sydney for 10 months and it's time to buy a house. We've found one we like in Stanmore on William Street (near Stanmore Road) - about 10 mins walk south of Stanmore station. Does anyone know what the airplane noise is like in Stanmore? We sat outside the house today and in an hour two planes were pretty low. Does it ever get really bad?

Any help appreciated.

Jon

PS I'd be interested to know how the plane noise is in surrounding suburbs like Marrickville and Petersham for example.
Trust me...You don't want to live on a flight path. We lived 9 months on the Adelaide main flight path, just where the wheels went down. The first few days it was really kind of cool to watch the planes so low. The next few weeks the novelty began to wear off. After the first month it drove us to distraction! Every 5-10 minutes another jet overhead. They started at 6:30 am (the big international ones, either Hong Kong, Singapore or ANZ) and ended with the last flight at 11:00 pm.
Much as you might like the house, think long and hard about the flight noise.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 11:07 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Any help appreciated.

Jon

How on earth have you managed to find a house that is reasonably priced in the inner west that hasn't been sold in 30 seconds?

Anyway, Stanmore is one of the more desirable inner west suburbs, and people are usually willing to put up with the aircraft noise in favour of the cafe culture, and proximity to Newtown/King Street.

Stanmore is in the municipality of Marrickville. If you have a look at the Marrickville council website, they have a more detailed map of the aircraft dispersal zone and noise patterns throughout the district. If you watch the aircraft, you will notice that they are fanned out across the flightpath, so that the same areas aren't always effected by noise.

The worse place for noise is Tempe and Sydenham, as they are pretty much at the bottom of the runway. Personally, I would be quite happy living in Stanmore, noise and all...

S
Old Oct 7th 2007, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Thanks guys - mixed bag of replies there.

I don't think we'll ever escape aircraft noise if we're gonna live in the inner west...But like you say, Stanmore is great - more leafy and green than other suburbs in the immediate area.

Nearly bought a place in Marrickville a week ago until the survey came back - riddled with rising damp and bad termite damage...Now that is worse than a bit of plane noise!

Jon
Old Oct 7th 2007, 11:34 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys - mixed bag of replies there.

I don't think we'll ever escape aircraft noise if we're gonna live in the inner west...But like you say, Stanmore is great - more leafy and green than other suburbs in the immediate area.

Nearly bought a place in Marrickville a week ago until the survey came back - riddled with rising damp and bad termite damage...Now that is worse than a bit of plane noise!

Jon
Really, where was that? I've been looking in Marrickville myself, and I will avoid!

Damp is a real problem with inner west houses apparently. Just about every house that I have been interested in has been infested with it.

S
Old Oct 7th 2007, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

It was on a place in Calvert Street - just off Marrickville Road. It still sold at auction and we were the only people who had a survey done - someone is gonna get a nasty shock!

We've been looking for about 3 months and the last 4 weeks really seriously...As you know, you've gotta move fast to get somewhere at the moment...Everywhere else is pretty static but the inner west is mental!

Onwards and upwards!

Jon
Old Oct 7th 2007, 11:58 am
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Any help appreciated.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Dont know about stanmore but stayed in Petersham for a month last year and was aware of the airplanes but dont remember it being that awful
Old Oct 8th 2007, 4:15 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely depends on where you live - some roads, even when the plane isn't directly overhead, will get some noise as the plane goes over a street nearby. The difference will be that you will still be able to hear yourself talk - when the plane flies directly over you, communications pretty much come to an abrupt halt (even phone conversations can get drowned out).

We used to live in Rozelle in a rental - the couple of times we went over to view the place, sign the lease etc, there were no planes flying over. The day I drove over to pick the keys up, I looked up and there was a plane flying directly over the house. It's really hard to work out when they'll be flying directly over as the airport doesn't share the info about whether planes will be flying over from 6am, during the day, or later in the evening. Still, the planes made an effective alarm clock on those mornings... They tended to come in two to four hour shifts, and usually just once a day but some days (depending on the weather) they'd do a morning and evening shift.

When we were looking to buy in Sydney, my OH became obsessed with finding somewhere that wasn't under the flight path and became twitchy during viewings if a plane even ventured across the horizon.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 4:26 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

IIRC aircraft can only land towards the North from 0500 to 0600, accepting a tailwind if it's within limits. All hell breaks loose after 0600 and all runways are fair game <g>.