Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Airlines have a monopoly on flight charges form Oz to UK

Airlines have a monopoly on flight charges form Oz to UK

Old Jul 19th 2010, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Airlines have a monopoly on flight charges form Oz to UK

Originally Posted by mvagusta
Unfortunately Emirates aren't part of the Star Alliance as far as I'm aware. I wish they were.
No, they are not. But if you are heading for Scotland, both Edinburgh and Glasgow can be reached on Star Alliance by flying to Heathrow (or elsewhere in Europe) and then transferring on to a BMI flight.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

Originally Posted by louie
No, they are not. But if you are heading for Scotland, both Edinburgh and Glasgow can be reached on Star Alliance by flying to Heathrow (or elsewhere in Europe) and then transferring on to a BMI flight.
Yes I know.

I live 15 mins from Glasgow airport so the quickest way to Perth is Emirates with one stop taking 18-20 hours approx with the good flight times. To go the two stop way can take up to 27hrs or longer.

The wife doesn't like long air journey's at the best of times, so the only way she'll go is Emirates unfortunately.
Old Jul 19th 2010, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

I live 15 mins from Glasgow airport so the quickest way to Perth is Emirates with one stop taking 18-20 hours approx with the good flight times. To go the two stop way can take up to 27hrs or longer.

The wife doesn't like long air journey's at the best of times, so the only way she'll go is Emirates unfortunately.
Each to his or her own I suppose. I'd rather spend 22 hrs 5 mins in business class (via Copenhagen and Bangkok, according to the Star Alliance website (though longer coming back I grant you)) than 20 hours 10 mins on Emirates (quickest time I can see) in economy for the same dosh.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

A large part of your airfare these days is taxes, out of my $1970 fare I paid this year $600 was tax! I think the taxes from Oz are slightly higher than the UK although that will change soon once the new air passenger taxes in the UK that Labour set kick in.

You'll probably find that us flying from Oz are subsidising those flying from the UK, like business travellers subsidise economy.

Exchange rates also play a part, at one point I nearly bought two one ways as it was cheaper.

The airlines will say it's supply and demand but I guess the airlines price fares out of Europe/UK more competitively because more people want to travel from those countries.

Whatever, it's very frustrating!
Old Jul 20th 2010, 8:56 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koalakim
A large part of your airfare these days is taxes, out of my $1970 fare I paid this year $600 was tax! I think the taxes from Oz are slightly higher than the UK although that will change soon once the new air passenger taxes in the UK that Labour set kick in.
The taxes on a return flight should essentially be exactly the same regardless of which country you start in.

Really a lot of these taxes simple aren't - you are paying for fuel on top of your fare - I'm sure the airlines like it that we refer to them as taxes though - makes someone else sound bad.

Emirates has this novel concept that they include fuel in the cost of the fare...who'd have thunk it!

On Emirates for example that £1350 return fare includes taxes (real ones) of £130. Anything on top of that another airlines quotes is their fuel fines and other charges (give or take a little for Asian transit fees instead of Dubai).
Attached Thumbnails Airlines have a monopoly on flight charges form Oz to UK-tax.png  
Old Jul 20th 2010, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

hantorro is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys

Just checked the website for US Airways; if you are a new member and sign up before the end of Sep, they will give you 1,500 Dividend Miles for free.

I did try to join, but it kept requesting i submit a state, even though i selected United Kingdom as my country.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'd try again. When I choose UK from the drop down box, it greys out State. It was fussy though, I think you then have to put your post code in without spaces and UK phone number starting with the second digit (ie drop the first zero).
Old Jul 20th 2010, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

hantorro is on a distinguished road

Thanks Louie, successful, but it went haywire again when i tried to do my OH's membership Will try again later for hime. Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 20th 2010, 2:36 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - not a monopoly at all - in fact, one of the most competitive routes and industries there is.

Possibly a cartel but the pricing is bizarre.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 4:35 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by juddy
Maybe but the UK, does not have a proper summer these days......
Really? I was in London 3 weeks ago and it was bleeding hot! Well into the 30's and sunny.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

They're having one this year! It was lovely and sunny all the while we were over there in May/June and there were two very hot spells - wish I'd stayed longer!
Old Jul 21st 2010, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

I've heard its worth getting a cheap flight to bangkok/sing/hk etc and then getting a return from there to your real destination. Might be worth a go? Fares here are a rip off
Old Jul 21st 2010, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

mvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to allmvagusta is a name known to all

I've just priced an Emirates business class flight from Glasgow to Perth via Dubai for 08/12/10-03/01/11.

Shock horror £9600 and it's economy from Dubia-Perth both ways but the good flight times.

I think I'll stick to cattle class

Someone needs to design a teleportal me thinks.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 9:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I've just priced an Emirates business class flight from Glasgow to Perth via Dubai for 08/12/10-03/01/11.

Shock horror £9600 and it's economy from Dubia-Perth both ways but the good flight times.

I think I'll stick to cattle class

Someone needs to design a teleportal me thinks.
Sometimes rogue fares seem to pop out. I have just done a search and there are plenty of business class flights that time for around £3.5k.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by juddy
Recently the wife had to return to the Uk at short notice, the cheapest flight was $3000, return, the same flight from the Uk, was $1400.

Now you can take in the fact that prices go up and down due to holidays etc, but double the cost hows that, its the same plane, route, etc etc, so you call a uk agent and ask to book a flight from oz to uk, ah they say we cant do that, you have to go via a Australian agent.....

Any boby else had issues with flight costs???
Your wife wasn't flying on 'the same flight from the UK'.

Airlines will charge what the market will pay - this is how they make a profit (or come close to it!). If the market for Aus-UK-Aus tickets is willing to pay more than the market for UK-Aus-UK fares, guess who will be charged more.

Another thing to take into account is capacity - if a flight has lots of seats available the cost is likely to be cheaper than that for a flight that's full - basic supply and demand.

Also, were you comparing like for like? Booking a last minute 'I need to be on the next flight out' roundtrip from the UK isn't likely to be on the cheaper side of things.

Cheers

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.