Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which airlines give extra baggage

Which airlines give extra baggage

Old May 28th 2005, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all
Default Which airlines give extra baggage

Hi all,

When migrating i,m sure that i,ve heard that certain airlines allow a greater baggage allowence if you can prove your migrating is this right and if so who does it.

dave
Old May 28th 2005, 6:32 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which airlines give extra baggage

Originally Posted by chippy dave
Hi all,

When migrating i,m sure that i,ve heard that certain airlines allow a greater baggage allowence if you can prove your migrating is this right and if so who does it.

dave
Singapore give 40 kilos per person and I believe any flight that goes through the USA gives 64 kilos per person
Old May 28th 2005, 8:51 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fraser
Singapore give 40 kilos per person and I believe any flight that goes through the USA gives 64 kilos per person
I am just a little bit more than 64 kilos as is my old bag will we be ok

also come on the hammers
Old May 28th 2005, 9:06 pm
Rushwood, Thornlands, QLD

Boomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of lightBoomie is a glorious beacon of light

We flew with singapore.....so got the 40 kilos per person....we found it hard goin to use that amount each....as winter clothes went in the shipment...(had a lot of them being from the uk!) but I was adamant we were gonna fulfill the given quota (5K short in the end...good weighin!) so we bought loads ov new stuff in the next sale b4 we left.....In one way im glad we did as fashion over here will take me a long time to adjust to..... but to be honest we had twelve 32inch suitcases, seven to the limit hand luggage bags, 5 handbags and a laptop.....and they were hard work!

(family of 7)

boomie
Old May 29th 2005, 11:17 am
SharonC

sharon_gareth is an unknown quantity at this point

We flew Malaysian when we migrated to Perth. They dont allow you any additional baggage if you are migrating (used to but it stopped in April 2003). Although its not common knowledge though you are allowed to take 30kg.

Who ever you end up flying with its always worth checking first and not take anything for granted. I cant remember how much overweight we could have been but I know it would have been cheaper to buy the suitcase a seat on the plane than to pay excess baggage (lucky for us we found out on the day our stuff got packed for shipment so we were able to send our extra suitcase by sea with the rest of our stuff).

Sharon
www.immigrate-to-a-new-life-in-perth.com
Old May 29th 2005, 1:19 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

That '64 kg per person' idea is misleading.

Flights going through the US/Canada normally give 2 suitcases per person. Each case can carry up to 32kg, although realistically most cases contain less (a 32kg case is very heavy).

As for Singapore Airlines, 40kg is not their standard allowance, as far as I know 20kg is. The 40kg thing is a migrant fare and there are potential hassles if you have a return ticket, want to stop over, or have previously used your visa.

The US/Canada 2*32kg allowance is standard - not just for migrants. Make sure your passport matches up to US requirements - for example, children on parents passports is a no-no for the visa waiver.

Jeremy

Last edited by JAJ; May 29th 2005 at 1:21 pm.
Old May 29th 2005, 10:50 pm
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally Posted by sharon_gareth
We flew Malaysian when we migrated to Perth. They dont allow you any additional baggage if you are migrating (used to but it stopped in April 2003). Although its not common knowledge though you are allowed to take 30kg.

Who ever you end up flying with its always worth checking first and not take anything for granted. I cant remember how much overweight we could have been but I know it would have been cheaper to buy the suitcase a seat on the plane than to pay excess baggage (lucky for us we found out on the day our stuff got packed for shipment so we were able to send our extra suitcase by sea with the rest of our stuff).

Sharon
www.immigrate-to-a-new-life-in-perth.com
Are you sure about that 30 kg allowance...? I mucked up and booked malaysian only to realise after they dont allow xtra baggage...it actually states 20 kg on the ticket...If I had 3o kg thou I wouldnt be worried...
Old May 30th 2005, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chippy dave
Hi all,

dave
we went into going places last week, the girl rang singapore airlines to find out the baggage allowance for emigrating, they said 30kg and anthything over would be charged at £36 per kilo over . she also rang american airlines, their allowance was 2 pieces of luggage per person not weighing more than 32kg each
Old May 30th 2005, 12:53 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

The luggage allowance stated on your ticket is what will be allowed free of charge at check in, if you want your allowance increased you will have to contact the airline, i would do this directly not via an agent. Singapore will give 40kg if you are travelling one way using an unvalidated permanant resident visa, you will not get it if you have validated your visa before or if you only have a temp visa. As for other airlines check directly with them and make sure you receive any increase in allowance in writing as if not you could be in for a very large excess baggage charge at check in. Excess is usually charged at 1% of the first class fare per kilo.

Travelling via the states will allow you 2 pieces of checked baggage, but be careful if you are flying iternally within Australia as Virgin Blue don't usually honour the transatlantic carriers allowance.

32k is the limit of any one suitcase irrespective of who you fly with as thats the limit as to how much a baggage handler is allowed to lift.

Sooooo, always check with the airline, always get it in writing and don't take the word of a travel agent as you will usually know more about migrant fares than they will.

Good luck and happy packing

Lynn
Old May 30th 2005, 1:08 pm
pompeymike

Originally Posted by robert cowan
we went into going places last week, the girl rang singapore airlines to find out the baggage allowance for emigrating, they said 30kg and anthything over would be charged at £36 per kilo over . she also rang american airlines, their allowance was 2 pieces of luggage per person not weighing more than 32kg each
I'd be interested to know if anyone has flown Singapore airlines and been charged for excess baggage. We've used them 4 times going backwards and forwards to NZ and each time we've been well over the top - about 160kg for the four of us. I get the impression that when you check in they allow you extra if previous people are travelling light.

Mike

Old May 30th 2005, 1:46 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

I have friends who recently travelled with Singapore, they were over on the London-Singapore sector and got off with it, but after stopping over in Singapore were charged for the Singapore - Perth sector. It is very much at the discretion of the check in staff if they permit you to check in excess to your ticketed weight, some, if they feel that previous passengers have checked in light will let you off. But it's not something you could rely on, a fully weighted passenger list or a new member of check in staff could cost you a fortune.

Lynn
Old May 30th 2005, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

chippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to allchippy dave is a name known to all

Thanks for all the info everyone and lynn your right i will deal with it direct for peace of mind aswell.

cheers dave
Old May 30th 2005, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

LauraIreland will become famous soon enough

Dave
it is worth pushing your travel agent on any extra baggage that may be allowed. I am travelling with Japan airlines and got the travel agent to ring them and request an extra baggage allowance they upped it from 20kgs to 30 kgs, he wanted to make a sale!
Laura