Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Airline ticketing for a newborn.

Airline ticketing for a newborn.

Old Jan 1st 2009, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Airline ticketing for a newborn.

Hi ya,

Just wondered if any of you people have experience with booking flights for family and an unborn child.

Online it asks for details that I obviously don't have. Emirates say they can't book until baby is born. The guy wasn't helpful with if I will be charged 10% of our flights or the flight prices are baby is born.

Anyone got any experience with this at all please?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

lenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nice
Default Re: Airline ticketing for a newborn.

Hi, not with same airline but I have booked tickets before for an unborn child. The eticket just said "to be informed", and I contacted the airline once the baby was born and before the flight so that the ticket could be amended. I'd call back to confirm the advice that you were given was correct. As the baby would be without its own seat Id imagine that the 10% would be that of the fare you paid. Bassinettes are first come first served so I'd want to secure one as early as possible if I were you, they are a lifesaver.
Les
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:29 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

I booked for my baby before born - just said to be advised - as the other person mentioned. You can also add infants easier but this may be a pain for the bassinets - and you really would like a bassinet

Viv
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Colchester, Essex but hope to head to Bulli / Thirroul area.....
Bubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really nice

Originally Posted by viviennef
I booked for my baby before born - just said to be advised - as the other person mentioned. You can also add infants easier but this may be a pain for the bassinets - and you really would like a bassinet

Viv
We flew BA and they also booked the ticket with a to be advised basis. On the bassinette front don't even stress about it now - take a sling and a newborn will sleep really nicely as mine did (feeding pretty much for the full flight) If the bub cries constantly they will find one from somewhere I'm sure
You can't book one yet so what will be will be..........
I have to say travelling with a newborn is the most stressfree age to take if you are breastfeeding
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Bubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really niceBubsblooms is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bubsblooms
We flew BA and they also booked the ticket with a to be advised basis. On the bassinette front don't even stress about it now - take a sling and a newborn will sleep really nicely as mine did (feeding pretty much for the full flight) If the bub cries constantly they will find one from somewhere I'm sure
You can't book one yet so what will be will be..........
I have to say travelling with a newborn is the most stressfree age to take if you are breastfeeding
Just to add we have flown Emirates before and to be really honest I wouldn't want to fly them with a small baby I don't think..... as nice as they are they weren't as accommodating as Qantas/BA or Singapore Airlines (who all want to cuddle the baby to give you a break - especially if it is blond as mine was!!!!!)
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bubsblooms
Just to add we have flown Emirates before and to be really honest I wouldn't want to fly them with a small baby I don't think..... as nice as they are they weren't as accommodating as Qantas/BA or Singapore Airlines (who all want to cuddle the baby to give you a break - especially if it is blond as mine was!!!!!)
Unfortunately emirates is our choice due to price. Managed to book for a few grand less than other airlines. We did have similar experience with Dubai airport and emirates due to our little blondies. Captain even held my daughters had down the steps as we got off. Would have loved a photo but hands were full.

I like the idea of a sling. I think I'm going to have to think about how I start the first weeks. With my first two I was into rountines in cots but that's not going to happen. Baby Im sure will be fine it's the combo of 5,3.5 and newborn. I'll just have to take each moment as it comes and not worry. It was never as bad I thought with to.

We've got the bassinette now booked and can see our seats online. Hopefully we will only be charged at 10% of our fares not the fare 7 weeks before.

I have also worked out that we might have enough airmiles on the return journey to upgrade from lhr to Dubai. Just wondering if this might me an idea as one of us could get the car to the airport with bags. Any thoughts?

Thanks for responses.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Unfortunately emirates is our choice due to price. Managed to book for a few grand less than other airlines. We did have similar experience with Dubai airport and emirates due to our little blondies. Captain even held my daughters had down the steps as we got off. Would have loved a photo but hands were full.

I like the idea of a sling. I think I'm going to have to think about how I start the first weeks. With my first two I was into rountines in cots but that's not going to happen. Baby Im sure will be fine it's the combo of 5,3.5 and newborn. I'll just have to take each moment as it comes and not worry. It was never as bad I thought with to.

We've got the bassinette now booked and can see our seats online. Hopefully we will only be charged at 10% of our fares not the fare 7 weeks before.

I have also worked out that we might have enough airmiles on the return journey to upgrade from lhr to Dubai. Just wondering if this might me an idea as one of us could get the car to the airport with bags. Any thoughts?

Thanks for responses.
I am just wondering what age you are travelling with the new one? If it is only a few weeks old then, if you can bare the thought, it would be great if the baby would get used to sleeping on pillows on your lap! You could take a vacuum travel bag with a pillow in it in the hand luggage and then it'll be completely at home during the flight..... I would do it for a quieter 24 hours then tackle the proper cot issue stuff when you get to wherever you are going! (the pillows are good to help the other children get comfy enough to sleep too - invest in a few vacuum travel things and stick them in the hand luggage - you roll the bags to get the air out so really easy and compact)
I am afraid I don't understand the bit about the return journey so can't help there
The other thing I would do is make myself known to someone / lots of people!! at head office or the manager in ticketing etc requesting info about the ticketing of the newborn - and exaggerating how immensely stressful planning without everyone accounted for! That way when the baby is born, and you need to ticket him/her you won't be stitched up for the extra fare. If you are saving a fortune travelling Emirates you don't want to be stung at the final hurdle