Airline Seats

Old Feb 13th 2004, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of
Default Airline Seats

I have seen people saying good things about Singapore airlines and kids, but no one has mentioned seat sizes. When we went out to Australia we flew with Air New Zealand and their planes were fantastic - the seats reclined a lot and the headrests were confortable and enabled us to sleep well. What are people experences with the seats on the other airlines (e.g. when we returned from Australia we flew Air China . . .never ever again!) The cost difference between Air New Zealand and other flights is not great and I might be willing to pay extra for a comfortable flight.

So, airlines and seats please . . .

Mummy
Old Feb 13th 2004, 9:49 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Airline Seats

Originally posted by Mummy
I have seen people saying good things about Singapore airlines and kids, but no one has mentioned seat sizes. When we went out to Australia we flew with Air New Zealand and their planes were fantastic - the seats reclined a lot and the headrests were confortable and enabled us to sleep well. What are people experences with the seats on the other airlines (e.g. when we returned from Australia we flew Air China . . .never ever again!) The cost difference between Air New Zealand and other flights is not great and I might be willing to pay extra for a comfortable flight.

Mummy
I think New Zealand Air are a subsidiary of Singapore airlines.At least SA own a big part of them.New Zealand Air has the best legroom in economy that I have ever seen and I have flown with a lot of airlines.
You can check seat pitch etc on the Airlines own websites.They will even give you the menus and the films you will see on route if you have a date.
Singapore have better facilities ie. seatback videos if that matters.
They are pretty good but some of the seats are a bit cramped.
If you phone the airline when you have your tickets they will often give you the seats you want if available.Ignore Travel agents who tell you they wont.we have often booked Exit row seats with Singapore air.But phone the Airline direct ,don't trust agents to do it.

Good kuck

G
Old Feb 13th 2004, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Natbat is an unknown quantity at this point

Mummy
Hi

Don't know if this helps but when I flew with Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific they had these 'cots' that came out of the wall (you know the seats in front of the big TV screen) well there was this couple on the flight on both occasions and they put baby in there (he was about a year old) and padded it out with his dooner and he sat there happy as larry whilst Mum and Dad took it in turns to amusing, feed and eat. I thorough admired them as they did not lose it atal and he was a happy little chap (don't know if they sedated him) but he went off to sleep as soon as the lights went down.

Hope this helps

Old Feb 13th 2004, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Natbat is an unknown quantity at this point

Mummy
Oh and the seat sizes on both flights were perfect lots of room and comfy
Old Feb 13th 2004, 11:45 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about

I believed Air New Zealand economy seat pitch was 34" which is about as good as it gets but is the same as Malaysian and Thai. Air New Zealand have no individual tv screens which is a big minus in my book although fly via US which is a plus if you want to visit on the way.

Singapore seat pitch is only 32" so 2" less space between seats than Air New Zealand. They do have one of the best in flight entertainment systems though. I have flown Singapore and thought they were very good.

I have never flown Malaysian but on paper they sound good with the best seat pitches and individual entertainment systems.

Mummy
Old Feb 13th 2004, 12:01 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dugongs
I believed Air New Zealand economy seat pitch was 34" which is about as good as it gets but is the same as Malaysian and Thai. Air New Zealand have no individual tv screens which is a big minus in my book although fly via US which is a plus if you want to visit on the way.

Singapore seat pitch is only 32" so 2" less space between seats than Air New Zealand. They do have one of the best in flight entertainment systems though. I have flown Singapore and thought they were very good.

I have never flown Malaysian but on paper they sound good with the best seat pitches and individual entertainment systems.
I have flown to Malaysia several times with Malaysian but the last time was a few years ago.
Theywere very good but in those days did not have seat back videos.I am interested that they do now.

BTW If anyone books to go with Virgin they codeshare with Malaysian and use Malaysian planes.

G
Old Feb 13th 2004, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of

Austrian airlines seat distances are 31".

Not so good, but cheap tickets. . .

Mummy
Old Feb 13th 2004, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

PaulDClark is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.aviation-health.org/seatpitch.asp
Old Feb 13th 2004, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by PaulDClark
http://www.aviation-health.org/seatpitch.asp

Air China were never 34" !!!!!! Unless they put us on a short haul plane to do a long haul flight!

Mummy
Old Feb 13th 2004, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Mummy
Mummy

As you are obviously a mummy there is no need to worry about seat legroom. Just ring reservations and get bulkhead seats as they have the basinettes (as someone above mentioned) for your baby. They also have more legroom.

Can't help much on seat quality though - probably just depends on age of plane.

We're flying Singapore in a few weeks and I just spoke to them this morning confirming the above. Best not to rely on your agent to do it.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by sjn2003
Mummy

As you are obviously a mummy there is no need to worry about seat legroom. Just ring reservations and get bulkhead seats as they have the basinettes (as someone above mentioned) for your baby. They also have more legroom.

Can't help much on seat quality though - probably just depends on age of plane.

We're flying Singapore in a few weeks and I just spoke to them this morning confirming the above. Best not to rely on your agent to do it.
But do both mummy and daddy get to sit there? Surely it depends how many babies on the flight? Or if we book early enough is it tough luck for the others?

Mummy
Old Feb 13th 2004, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

But do both mummy and daddy get to sit there? Surely it depends how many babies on the flight? Or if we book early enough is it tough luck for the others?

Mummy
Of course ! I tried to get a seat away from mummy and baby but mummy found out and gave me a clip round the ear

Yes I assume it will depend how many babies are on the flight so book ahead and check availability before you book the flight. Don't wait until you get to check-in.

It will be a long flight with an under 2yrs without their own seat otherwise - only way to go in my opinion.

When are you going ?? We go to Sydney in 4 weeks with Singapore. I will report back on the whole baby flying business.
Old Feb 13th 2004, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

MaryMc is an unknown quantity at this point

Try this, there's a good chart near the bottom of the page giving legroom for all airlines

http://www.geocities.com/profemery/e...t/legroom.html

MaryMc
Old Feb 13th 2004, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

parkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of lightparkhigh is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

I went to melbourne last July and telephone the airline prior to booking and got bulk head seats. Our daughter who was 1 slept in the basinette all the time. We did also get a px from the doctor just in case. The only problem with those seats is that they back on to the toilets and after 11 hours...............the smell starts to get to you. However, my two children were happy and thats all you can expect isnt it. My husband is 6'6 and had plenty of leg room. We flew austrian airlines'lufthansea ? spelling
and were accomodating.
Hope this helps
Irene
Old Feb 13th 2004, 10:23 pm
happy bunny!!

teresa.c is an unknown quantity at this point

the seats reclined a lot and the headrests were confortable and enabled us to sleep well.
Mummy [/QUOTE]

You plan on sleeping????? We didnt get a wink of sleep on our flights!! Our baby was 15 months and our son was 6! Nightmare!!
But all good fun!!

We flew with singapore and the flight cot was a godsend!! You reserve it when you book and they can tell you straight away if you have one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.