Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which airline / which class?

Which airline / which class?

Old Sep 15th 2005, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sutherland - til we find a house with a nice kitchen! Oh, even better - found one with a nice pool.
Mr. Ee will become famous soon enoughMr. Ee will become famous soon enough
Default Which airline / which class?

Mr Ee and I are having heated discussions re flying to OZ with a 2 yr old and 4 yr old and surviving the process. Just wondered if anybody had any comments on which airline a)in terms of space in economy class b)decent for kids and also has anybody considered/changed to business / premium economy for the one way flight out?

I know its shed loads of money in comparison but I can't help thinking that as it is one-way, and the only time we will be leaving the UK for good that it might ease the stress and strain to fly in a spacious seat with luxuries on tap.

Mr Ee however is all for economy class and a nice stop-over.

Any comments / experiences etc. especially with regard to the kiddies!!!

Mrs Ee
Old Sep 15th 2005, 5:27 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which airline / which class?

I was seriously thinking business class for the one way trip. Hubby has now convinced me that the money "saved" by sticking with economy will be enough to buy a second hand car. Nuff said.

Singapore have good leg room and really look after kids. There is loads for them to do and you can then do a stop over in Singapore and take the kids to the zoo and amusement park.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sutherland - til we find a house with a nice kitchen! Oh, even better - found one with a nice pool.
Mr. Ee will become famous soon enoughMr. Ee will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I was seriously thinking business class for the one way trip. Hubby has now convinced me that the money "saved" by sticking with economy will be enough to buy a second hand car. Nuff said.

Singapore have good leg room and really look after kids. There is loads for them to do and you can then do a stop over in Singapore and take the kids to the zoo and amusement park.
Must be a hubby arguement cos that is exactly what Mr Ee is saying. I am just worried that he can sleep easily on planes - so will sleep away the flight.

I guess I want to find the most painless way to get us all their in one piece - finding an airline that is kiddie-friendly is really important - for us and the rest of the passengers!?!?!
Old Sep 15th 2005, 6:02 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr. Ee
Mr Ee and I are having heated discussions re flying to OZ with a 2 yr old and 4 yr old and surviving the process. Just wondered if anybody had any comments on which airline a)in terms of space in economy class b)decent for kids and also has anybody considered/changed to business / premium economy for the one way flight out?

I know its shed loads of money in comparison but I can't help thinking that as it is one-way, and the only time we will be leaving the UK for good that it might ease the stress and strain to fly in a spacious seat with luxuries on tap.

Mrs Ee
I'm quite fortunate since a lot of business travel has enabled me to go business and first. I'm no snob and been happy to fly economy just been fortunate the last few years. It does however make you not want to fly economy again long haul. There is a big difference from 32" seats to 60" in business IMHO. We're off for the final trip on Singapore first class - no company to pay for that but all the airmiles built up from the business trips can

I would rather fly business than a stopover. All the hassle of getting luggage again - farting around at airports and really all I want to do is get to Oz. Horses for courses I guess tho

What do you get in business class - if you flay Cathay or Singapore then quite simply angled flat bed seats. BA are flat but usually expensive. In my mind this makes 22 hours of flying quite a treat more than anything. The food is normally very good and you know you have enough leg room because you cant touch the seat in front even if you try

Dont go Emirates business as the seats are not all that and not flat beds and a bit cramped. You have to hub through Dubai for an extra stop.

Remember you also get the Lounges at London and your transit for some snacks, drinks, maybe a quick shower whilst you wait for the onward connection. Your baggage usually comes off quite quick and all in all I look forward to flying and dont come off looking like I've been up all night in a washing machine

If you want to see what you get in each airline then check out www.airlinequality.com
Old Sep 15th 2005, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mr. Ee

Mrs Ee
Hello

I have flown out to Aus with a small child both on my own and with my husband. As well as flying very pregnant on my own - not the best idea!! We (hubby & I) have also flown both business and economy.

The long and the short is if you can afford it Business is much, much nicer and a bit easier, because the ratio of staff to passengers is just so much lower, you have more space etc.

However the reality is the price of the tickets can be seriously prohibitive. Some airlines do not offer any discount for children (or even infants) in business class. With others the discount for children (who occupy a seat) is not substantial (at least not the % off that economy offers).

That said, business is soooooo much nicer, food, seats, treatment. If it is a one off I say go for it, just look for the best prices and airlines that offer the best service. (We have almost exclusively flown emirates in the last few years)

Good luck convincing the hubby
Old Sep 15th 2005, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

flapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant futureflapsterhp has a brilliant future

we have just come back from Melbourne, flew economy with a 12 year old, 10 year old, 5 years, 3 year, and a 22mth old. Flew with Malaysian. FANTASTIC is all I can say, the cabin crew couldn't do enough for us. on our return we had a 6 hour wait in the airport, so we went upstairs in the airport and booked a room cost about £28. Had a shower, lie down on the bed the kids watched the t.v. well worth it. Save your cash. Andy
Old Sep 15th 2005, 6:36 pm
Yes yes yes brissy bound!

The Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really nice

Originally Posted by flapsterhp
we have just come back from Melbourne, flew economy with a 12 year old, 10 year old, 5 years, 3 year, and a 22mth old. Flew with Malaysian. FANTASTIC is all I can say, the cabin crew couldn't do enough for us. on our return we had a 6 hour wait in the airport, so we went upstairs in the airport and booked a room cost about £28. Had a shower, lie down on the bed the kids watched the t.v. well worth it. Save your cash. Andy

We were unsure what to do with a three year old last October when we flew to Sydney from Manchester. Initially considered stopping off overnight in Singapore, however as my huby pointed out we could have been potentially prolonging the agony with Ellie!

Which class wasn't an option for us, however decided to go straight through and get it over and done with :scared:

Glad we did it this way on that occasion, however it depends how long your stopping over for? Save on the expense of class and have a few days somewhere perhaps?

Singapore airlines were great and we will be using them on our flight next time
Old Sep 15th 2005, 6:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

We flew business with Emirates last year, with a 1 yr old. They were great, the seats were very comfy, lots of room and a TV in each seat.

The crew were very child friendly, they kept her amused and kept taking her for walks etc, even when food was being served (so we could eat in peace!).
The seats were fine, very comfy for sleeping etc.

Having flown economy with QANTAS and Business with Emirates, I'd choose Business any day. The extra money is worth it, you arrive ready to go rather than ready to drop.
Old Sep 15th 2005, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

lovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nice

I found that Malaysia airlines have the best leg room in economy class, 34ins.
But i do know what you mean with business class, i travelled to Indonesia in business class several years ago but fortunatley it was paid by the company and I can tell you that the price in 1998 for that return ticket then was £6750 so quite expensive but very nice in deed
Good luck in whichever you decide to do
Josie