Which Airline?

Old Mar 7th 2011, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently in Redmond, Washington, returning to Sydney 2013!!
SamG will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Which Airline?

My vote would go to Singapore Air, I migrated with them on my own with 2 young kids and was 6 months pregnant at the time (long story, hubby had to go out ahead of me) - they were great. This was 6 years ago though. At the time they also gave the most generous migrant's baggage allowance which was also a factor - does anyone know if this is still offered? If it is you might want to include that in your decision making.

Good luck with your adventure!!
Old Mar 7th 2011, 10:21 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SamG
At the time they also gave the most generous migrant's baggage allowance which was also a factor - does anyone know if this is still offered?
They do, for holders of unvalidated PR visas...however for anyone with a connecting flight into London or Manchester prior to their SQ flight the situation will be complicated...the 40kg allowance will probably not apply to the connection, so check excess fees for that flight carefully.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

I’ll agree with what someone already said, drive to Dublin and fly with Etihad. You go Dublin – Melbourne with just one short stop in Abu Dhabi. Great service, good prices and you can pre-book seats. I found them better than Singapore, plus with Singapore you’ll have a few stops and changes Belfast – Insert UK Airport – Singapore – Melbourne.

The Etihad one wins by far for me.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 8:17 pm
giz
Forum Regular

giz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nice

OK, now that I've packed in my job I've managed to get the time to actually look at the airline websites.

Singapore airlines is a bit of a pain. I can't book 2 adults and 3 children online from belfast because the connecting flight from belfast is operated by another airline...I have to split the party into two separate bookings or visit the Singapore Airlines sales office

So I just checked the price from LHR and I'm shocked at the taxes and surcharges:

Fare for 2 Adults: 620.00
Fare for 3 Children: 696.00
Taxes & Surcharges: 1,349.15
Total: £2,665.15

The taxes and surcharges are just ridiculous. Does anyone know why it is this way?

Booking from Belfast (2 parties) works out at a total of £2950

So I looked at the same from Dublin using edihad airways.

Adults x 2 1,554.00 EUR
Children x 3 1,809.00 EUR
Tax 141.71 EUR
Service Tax 0.00 AED
Total
EUR 3,504.70

Which is basically £3000, so the price difference is practically nothing and we would have one less connection. So Dublin is looking like the favourite at the minute.

Thanks for all the helf so far.

Last edited by giz; Mar 9th 2011 at 9:14 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

JetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really niceJetBlast is just really nice

Originally Posted by bingobob777
not sure this is the case with all planes, but on the 777 the row of seats at the front dont get individual screens, instead they share a big one, I would avoid unless you want fighting kids
You are wrong. They have individual screens as well as a big one. The big one will only display the route map.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 9:53 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

About £140pp is the airlines fuel surcharge. For some reason, with pretty much the exception of Emirates, airlines don't like to include the cost of fuel in the base fare these days! About £115 is UK taxes and small amounts relate to Singapore & Aus.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 12:26 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by giz
OK, now that I've packed in my job I've managed to get the time to actually look at the airline websites.

Total: £2,665.15

£2950

EUR 3,504.70

Which is basically £3000, so the price difference is practically nothing and we would have one less connection. So Dublin is looking like the favourite at the minute.

Thanks for all the helf so far.
Hmm, two things:

1) Look towards a return ticket - often there are fares that are only valid with a return trip, you WILL want to go home at some point, and prices of tickets in Oz....

2) Check out Malaysian as well, judging by Kayak, an Air Lingus hop to, say, somewhere like Paris, then Malaysian, might give you best of both worlds. I think the single carrier options are loading the flight to Dublin<>Hub somewhat.

Finding the best prices and best options takes time and skill. Often you can find better options than an agent will, because you are prepared to spend longer looking, and don't get paid a %age rake off.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 4:31 am
Just Joined

lizq is an unknown quantity at this point

What about easyjet to stansted then Air Asia to Melb?
Not sure if prices are that much cheaper when you take into account baggage allowances, plus the extras you have to pay for with Air Asia.
Never flown with them but might be worth costing exercise
Old Mar 10th 2011, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Try the Emirates site direct, they have the cheapest fares and don't seem to release them to other sites.

You can pre-book seats and they are great with kids - better overall than Singapore Air IMO.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by sr71
Try the Emirates site direct, they have the cheapest fares and don't seem to release them to other sites.

You can pre-book seats and they are great with kids - better overall than Singapore Air IMO.
also they don't charge you extra to use credit card

book direct with them. http://www.emirates.com/uk/english/