Which airline?

Old Jun 11th 2003, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough
Default Which airline?

Anyone got any recommendations for airlines to Oz? Who to consider, who to avoid etc? Know of any good deals
(pref. to Melb.) at the moment?
Old Jun 11th 2003, 9:41 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Laker Air. top marks
Old Jun 11th 2003, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Which airline?

Originally posted by Bella
Anyone got any recommendations for airlines to Oz? Who to consider, who to avoid etc? Know of any good deals
Not Qantas. Never again. IN MY OPINION, They give you broken seats, do not help out with drunk yobs but leave it to the passengers (me and another POM dealt with an ozzie git a few years back), and the meals are bloody awful.
Old Jun 11th 2003, 10:27 pm

kevpreece is an unknown quantity at this point

wilf,

thats one thing i will agree with you on , QUANTAS are *rap!!!!!

cheers
Old Jun 11th 2003, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bella

Hi Bella,
We have flown with Singapore Airlines twice to Oz and we cant fault them.
Have to agree with Wilf and Kevpreece about Qantas, tatty seating and poor service.
Some great offers on this website http://www.leestravel.com/
(site stolen from another poster)
Old Jun 11th 2003, 10:36 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, each to their own opinion - 5 trips between Oz & the UK with Qantas, and only one leg had dubious cabin service, maybe I've just been lucky!
My particular "never again" airline is Emirates - lots of people have given good reports, but I had a thoroughly lousy trip, and was made to feel that as a white woman travelling alone, I was very very inferior - last to be served, very grudgingly provided with alcohol, and told to wait for the next scheduled service whenever I asked for a drink. A 9 hour stop for technical problems, in Dubai airport, reinforced this feeling of inferiority and complete discomfort. Never ever again, no matter how cheap the fare.
One airline that was superb though was Lauda/Austrian - fly to Melbourne and Sydney, via Vienna and Kuala Lumpur, and I couldn't fault them at all. Oh , and the female cabin staff wear tight black jeans, which the guys seem to think was worth the fare on its own...............!
Old Jun 12th 2003, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Singapore - Excellent

Cathay Pacific - Excellent

Malaysian - very poor

Flying Emirates this time so we will see how good / bad they are.

Take a look at http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/seats.htm for customer opinions on all airlines.

Also www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/flights.php for cheap flights
Old Jun 12th 2003, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Chris000 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, Japan Airlines(JAL) were absolutley brill, choice of food from a menu, free drinks during the flight inc alcohol and really nice staff, yes, this was economy class- the down side is that they fly you to Tokoyo then Quantas fly you to Aus- Quantas looked like the poor relies, staff uninterested,no food, b'fast was a carton of orange juice and generally shabby.
Singapore airlines also v. good, though not as good as JAL.Kate.
Old Jun 13th 2003, 4:34 am
Just Joined

SteveB_in_oz is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're emigrating or taking lots of stuff, fly over the Americas rather than Asia.

From memory, you are allowed to check in 64 kg (2 x 32) and carry on 10kgs. Fly the other way around and you can only check in 20kg and carry on 5 kgs. Compare the two: 74kgs v 25kgs !!!....which way around you would fly??
Old Jun 13th 2003, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough
Talking

Thanks all, this is fab.
Will check out all the recommendations, ('cept maybe paulf's ....)

Cheers,

Bella
Old Jun 13th 2003, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Growler is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to add to this, we just booked with Singapore, and have been told if we provide them with photocopies of our migration visa, we can take 40kg, even though we are going on a 1 year open ticket.

I am a silver member on emirates, but singapore is cheaper, and only has 1 stop. Will now start a membership thing with Singapore instead.
Old Jun 13th 2003, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

Japan airlines (Jal) very good. Great service and great brand new plane to Tokyo. Ufortunatly they put on a very old 747 between Tokyo and sydney, but the service was just as good.
Old Jun 13th 2003, 10:41 am
Beyond Redemption

Snitzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Aeroflot just for the food, dry bread and water and the certificate you get when you arrive stating you survived. London to Sydney .... 42 Hours !!
Old Jun 13th 2003, 12:06 pm
A soft and furry member

Bluey is an unknown quantity at this point

If you go via the America's, the one to avoid is Northwest (or North Worst as the locals call it). The cabin staff, for whatever reason seem to be only allowed one bath per year, the food consists of unidentifyable grey things and check your seat allocation. My wife, myself and 2 kids (7 and 2 at the time) had all been given seats in different parts of the plane!

Hope you have a good trip.

Blue
Old Jun 13th 2003, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

For those travelling via US is it expensive ? and does it increase the journey time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.