Which airline?

Old Apr 28th 2002, 3:33 pm
emmyandphil

Default Which airline?

OK .....now i am getting very confused which airline i should use. I have read so many diffrent opinions on who is good and bad its confusing. I want to fly from UK to New Zealand. I have a three year old son, so i would like the tv in the seat infront of you. But who should i use, who is the best. So i would like people who have had both good and bad exprances with diffrent airlines.

Thanks

Emily

Old Apr 28th 2002, 6:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice
Default Re: Which airline?

Hi Emily

I know, it's a real dilemma isn't it? Anyway, do a search on google for Austravel in the UK and get them to send you out a fare guide. It rates the top 10 airlines on loads of different stuff and also has some good advice for travelling with children (mines 2, but was 18 months when we flew and will be 2.5 when we go to Oz for good). It will help you to decide who you want to go with, they also have the fares of almost all airlines that fly to Oz and NZ.

love sophia x
Old Apr 28th 2002, 10:40 pm
Paul O'Brien

The cheapest major!!

--
Paul O'Brien [email protected] "emmyandphil" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...
    > OK .....now i am getting very confused which airline i should use. I have read so
    > many diffrent opinions on who is good and bad its confusing. I want to fly from UK
    > to New Zealand. I have a three year old son, so i would like the tv in the seat
    > infront of you. But who should i use, who is the best. So i would like people who
    > have had both good and bad exprances with diffrent airlines.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Emily
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 28th 2002, 11:40 pm
Dave Noble

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 08:16:44 +1000, "Paul O'Brien" <[email protected]> wrote:

>The cheapest major!!
    >
    >--
    >Paul O'Brien [email protected] "emmyandphil" <[email protected]>
    >wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> OK .....now i am getting very confused which airline i should use. I have read so
    >> many diffrent opinions on who is good and bad its confusing. I want to fly from UK
    >> to New Zealand. I have a three year old son, so i would like the tv in the seat
    >> infront of you. But who should i use, who is the best. So i would like people who
    >> have had both good and bad exprances with diffrent airlines.

I would suggest Singapore Airlines. I have found them to be very good and they have
in seat videos with a good choice of channels

Dave

Old Apr 28th 2002, 11:40 pm
Raffi Balmanouk

in article [email protected], Dave Noble at
[email protected] wrote on 4/28/02 7:42 PM:

> On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 08:16:44 +1000, "Paul O'Brien"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> The cheapest major!!
    >>
    >> --
    >> Paul O'Brien [email protected] "emmyandphil" <[email protected]>
    >> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >>> OK .....now i am getting very confused which airline i should use. I have read so
    >>> many diffrent opinions on who is good and bad its confusing. I want to fly from
    >>> UK to New Zealand. I have a three year old son, so i would like the tv in the
    >>> seat infront of you. But who should i use, who is the best. So i would like
    >>> people who have had both good and bad exprances with diffrent airlines.
    >
    > I would suggest Singapore Airlines. I have found them to be very good and they have
    > in seat videos with a good choice of channels
    >
    > Dave

Their cattle class was underwhelming for me, given their reputation. I also had
problems with them due to flight delays. The delay itself was understandable but I
was promised a back-up reservation because I didn't think I would make the connecting
flight in Canada. Guess what. I didn't. And they didn't. When I wrote them for the
ensuing loss (around $100) they went straight to the disclaimer, although in fairness
they did pay ("we don't have to do anything but we'll make this go away if you sign
the release.") In other words, they were OK but JUST OK. TAs push them because they
pay higher commission than some others.

Old Apr 29th 2002, 9:10 am
Dave Noble

On Sun, 28 Apr 2002 20:28:10 -0300, Raffi Balmanoukian
<[email protected]> wrote:

>
    >Their cattle class was underwhelming for me, given their reputation. I also had
    >problems with them due to flight delays. The delay itself was understandable but I
    >was promised a back-up reservation because I didn't think I would make the
    >connecting flight in Canada. Guess what. I didn't. And they didn't. When I wrote
    >them for the ensuing loss (around $100) they went straight to the disclaimer,
    >although in fairness they did pay ("we don't have to do anything but we'll make this
    >go away if you sign the release.") In other words, they were OK but JUST OK. TAs
    >push them because they pay higher commission than some others.

I've used them by choice and have purchased direct from the airline rather than TAs
so no pushing there. If travelling economy, I would choose them, quality wise, in
preference to other carriers.

It sounds like when you wrote to them asking for compensation, they agreed to pay it.
I wouldn't be surprised if some airlines went straight to that disclaimer and and
didnt pay at all.

Dave

Old Apr 29th 2002, 10:10 am
ajc

On 28 Apr 2002 16:10:24 GMT, emmyandphil <[email protected]> wrote:

>OK .....now i am getting very confused which airline i should use. I have read so
    >many diffrent opinions on who is good and bad its confusing. I want to fly from UK
    >to New Zealand. I have a three year old son, so i would like the tv in the seat
    >infront of you. But who should i use, who is the best. So i would like people who
    >have had both good and bad exprances with diffrent airlines.
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Emily
    >
    >
I have flown from Europe to Australia/New Zealand on Qantas, Singapore, Malaysia,
Thai, Cathay Pacific, Garuda, Lufthansa, Air New Zealand. In economy class I would
personally prefer Air New Zealand as they provide the most legroom, combined with
good service, but they don't have in-seat tvs. Of the airlines that provide in-seat
tvs, Cathay Pacific are the best in my experience, better than Singapore Airlines
whose reputation is often better than the reality. Malaysia airlines are also very
good. --==++AJC++==--

Old Apr 29th 2002, 12:40 pm
Niels Osmers

> Malaysia airlines are also very good.

And have often the best fares.

Old Apr 29th 2002, 1:40 pm
Raffi Balmanouk

> I've used them by choice and have purchased direct from the airline rather than TAs
    > so no pushing there. If travelling economy, I would choose them, quality wise, in
    > preference to other carriers.
    >
    > It sounds like when you wrote to them asking for compensation, they agreed to pay
    > it. I wouldn't be surprised if some airlines went straight to that disclaimer and
    > and didnt pay at all.

Some do, some don't. My claim wasn't a big one and they did in fact screw up -
promised me up and down they would make a backup reservation when I assured them I
*would* miss the scheduled cnx (it was around an hour in Toronto with a change of
terminals) and did not do so. I think the ultimate cost was around $100.

I'm not saying SQ is a BAD airline, I'm just saying their reputation exceeds reality
IME. The cattle class section really was cattle and made you feel like it. The seats
weren't great (a 340, if memory serves).

In truth, my perceptions may be a bit coloured because the agent refused even to make
a phone call, despite a high-cmsn tkt (they accidentally sent me and others on their
email list one of their internal memos showing their cut from SQ for a certain
period) - they were either bludgers or unwilling to rock the boat with their airline.
So I dumped them (for all time - The Adventure Centre in Toronto), wrote to SQ and
yes, in fairness to them, they did cough up.

But again, they were OK. Just OK.

Old Apr 29th 2002, 2:10 pm
Dave Noble

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 10:31:42 -0300, Raffi Balmanoukian
<[email protected]> wrote:

>
    >>
    >> I've used them by choice and have purchased direct from the airline rather than
    >> TAs so no pushing there. If travelling economy, I would choose them, quality wise,
    >> in preference to other carriers.
    >>
    >> It sounds like when you wrote to them asking for compensation, they agreed to pay
    >> it. I wouldn't be surprised if some airlines went straight to that disclaimer and
    >> and didnt pay at all.
    >
    >Some do, some don't. My claim wasn't a big one and they did in fact screw up -
    >promised me up and down they would make a backup reservation when I assured them I
    >*would* miss the scheduled cnx (it was around an hour in Toronto with a change of
    >terminals) and did not do so. I think the ultimate cost was around $100.
    >
    >I'm not saying SQ is a BAD airline, I'm just saying their reputation exceeds reality
    >IME. The cattle class section really was cattle and made you feel like it. The seats
    >weren't great (a 340, if memory serves).

Some reports I hear about SQ do seem to be OTT. Comfort wise I would say that they
are average in economy. I do like the IFE and I do like that they will allow
pre-selection of exit row seats even to non FF passengers. On routes from Uk to/from
Oz, they do have one of the best schedules with good connections at Singapore and a 1
stop service to major Ozzian locations so overall I would recommend them.

>In truth, my perceptions may be a bit coloured because the agent refused even to
    >make a phone call, despite a high-cmsn tkt (they accidentally sent me and others on
    >their email list one of their internal memos showing their cut from SQ for a certain
    >period) - they were either bludgers or unwilling to rock the boat with their
    >airline. So I dumped them (for all time - The Adventure Centre in Toronto), wrote to
    >SQ and yes, in fairness to them, they did cough up.

That sounds , to me at least, more an agent problem than an airline problem but I can
see how such a thing could put you off them

Dave

Old Apr 29th 2002, 2:40 pm
Sen Hwei Chan

On 28 Apr 2002 16:10:24 GMT, emmyandphil <[email protected]> wrote:

>OK .....now i am getting very confused which airline i should use. I have read so
    >many diffrent opinions on who is good and bad its confusing. I want to fly from UK
    >to New Zealand. I have a three year old son, so i would like the tv in the seat
    >infront of you. But who should i use, who is the best. So i would like people who
    >have had both good and bad exprances with diffrent airlines.
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Emily

My preferences are :

1. Singapore Airlines
- very new aircrafts
- excellent in flight entertainment
- great service

2. Cathay Pacific
- great service
- new aircrafts

3. British Airways
- new aircrafts
- excellent in flight entertainment
- good in flight meals

My *least* preferred airline is unfortunately Qantas. I find that they have not
kept up with the competition in upgrading their aircrafts - very cramped economy
class conditions, poor entertainment. The upside with Qantas is their excellent
safety record.

I am a Qantas FF however due to company travel policy. A bit ironic considering my
preferences above. I try as much as possible to fly with one of the One World partner
airlines instead of Qantas, hence Cathay and BA on my list above.

I also don't like American Airlines either as their planes are like flying tin cans
(at least the domestic US routes that I have flown
in). United Airlines is OK. I've only flown once with them (San Fran - Sydney). But
given the general state of heightened tensions, I'd probably avoid any of the US
airlines if possible.

Just to declare all possible conflicts of interest :

* I'm Malaysian by birth
* I live in Australia
* and I don't own shares in any of the airline companies

cheers,

TEST-- Sen Hwei CHAN NZ South Island Photo Gallery (http://nz2002.has.it)

Old Apr 29th 2002, 8:40 pm
Tony Bailey

"Raffi Balmanoukian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:B8F2D18E.154EE%>
    > Some do, some don't. My claim wasn't a big one and they did in fact screw up -
    > promised me up and down they would make a backup reservation when I assured them I
    > *would* miss the scheduled cnx (it was around an hour in Toronto with a change of
    > terminals) and did not do so. I think the
ultimate
    > cost was around $100.
    >

I never cease to be 'mazed!

My CRS will NOT let me make a reservation that does not meet the MCT (Minimum
Connecting Time) - but the MCTs in the CRS are not always correct!

--
Tony Bailey Mercury World Travel Mercury Travel Books [email protected]

Old Apr 29th 2002, 9:10 pm
Raffi Balmanouk

in article [email protected], Tony Bailey at
[email protected] wrote on 4/29/02 4:56 PM:

> "Raffi Balmanoukian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:B8F2D18E.154EE%>
    >> Some do, some don't. My claim wasn't a big one and they did in fact screw up -
    >> promised me up and down they would make a backup reservation when I assured them I
    >> *would* miss the scheduled cnx (it was around an hour in Toronto with a change of
    >> terminals) and did not do so. I think the
    > ultimate
    >> cost was around $100.
    >>
    >
    > I never cease to be 'mazed!
    >
    > My CRS will NOT let me make a reservation that does not meet the MCT (Minimum
    > Connecting Time) - but the MCTs in the CRS are not always correct!
    >

Probably true with any decent system...in this case, my flight SIN-CDG was delayed
several hours, which meant I had to take a subsequent flight CDG-YYZ to that on which
I was scheduled; thus my six hour cnx time in Toronto shrunk to an hour - SQ tried to
say, "ah, you'll make it" despite my repeated protests that there was no possibility
of my doing so. In other words, they said they'd make a backup reservation just to
get me off their back. They didn't.

Old Apr 29th 2002, 11:10 pm
Tony Bailey

"Raffi Balmanoukian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:B8F33498.15559%>
Probably true with any decent system...in this case, my flight SIN-CDG was
    > delayed several hours, which meant I had to take a subsequent flight
CDG-YYZ
    > to that on which I was scheduled; thus my six hour cnx time in Toronto shrunk to an
    > hour - SQ tried to say, "ah, you'll make it" despite my repeated protests that
    > there was no possibility of my doing so. In other words, they said they'd make a
    > backup reservation just to get me off their back. They didn't.

1) The onward airline should have details of your inbound flight and thus can
check its arrival. (The inbound flight details should automatically generate to
their PNR)

2) How long does it take to pass through Customs and Immigration at YYZ? Once you are
through, you should generally be able to check in immediately for the onward
flight - it works at most places.

--
Tony Bailey Mercury World Travel Mercury Travel Books [email protected]

Old Apr 30th 2002, 12:10 am
Raffi Balmanouk

> 1) The onward airline should have details of your inbound flight and thus can
    > check its arrival. (The inbound flight details should automatically generate to
    > their PNR)

Not in this case, because they changed my onward flight CDG-YYZ (I was scheduled
SIN-CDG-YYZ-YHZ on flights 1, 2, 3 and 4. flight 1 was delayed, which meant I missed
flight 2. They put me on a different flight, which had the tight - impossible - cnx
to flight 3. So 3 didn't recognize I was coming in on 2. Which was sort of my point
with SQ to begin with.

> 2) How long does it take to pass through Customs and Immigration at YYZ? Once you
    > are through, you should generally be able to check in immediately for the onward
    > flight - it works at most places.

Depends on traffic, of course. Usually around a half hour. This involved a terminal
change, which is around another 20-30 minutes depending on whether you've just missed
the shuttle, which I always do!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.