Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

aircon people, broken aircon advice

aircon people, broken aircon advice

Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:36 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default aircon people, broken aircon advice

my aircon has decided to pack up just days before my dad and whinging stepmother arrive from the UK. It was working yesterday afternoon and a few hours later we turned it on and nothing, nada, zilch. No power to the unit outside. The remote still appears to work and the sensor on the ceiling has lights but the unit outside is dead! Any advice from you aircon guys as I know there are a couple of you out there.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:40 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: aircon people, broken aircon advice

Originally Posted by northernbird
my aircon has decided to pack up just days before my dad and whinging stepmother arrive from the UK. It was working yesterday afternoon and a few hours later we turned it on and nothing, nada, zilch. No power to the unit outside. The remote still appears to work and the sensor on the ceiling has lights but the unit outside is dead! Any advice from you aircon guys as I know there are a couple of you out there.
light on the ceiling?

Is it a cassette type?

Some units will power down , if filters are filthy, or theres a fault on the refrigeration line.

Not knowing what system you have, cant really help..
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:42 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
light on the ceiling?

Is it a cassette type?

Some units will power down , if filters are filthy, or theres a fault on the refrigeration line.

Not knowing what system you have, cant really help..
thanks mate, its an Airwell ducted split system. The large unit is outside and in the family room there is a sensor on the ceiling that works with the remote to turn it on. The message obviously isn't getting to the unit outside when I switch it on but just wondered if it was anything obvious before I look like a div and call the people out.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:48 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

thanks mate, its an Airwell ducted split system. The large unit is outside and in the family room there is a sensor on the ceiling that works with the remote to turn it on. The message obviously isn't getting to the unit outside when I switch it on but just wondered if it was anything obvious before I look like a div and call the people out.
What temperature do you have it set at, is it on dry-air ( dehumidify ) as this will run just the fans generally, and no refrigerant.

I would prefer to look like a divvy and fone the A/C ppl.

The outdoor unit, is possibly powered up direct by its own breaker, has this tripped? Is the isolator in off position outside.

Perhaps your drip tray in roof space is full, and there could be a sensor to prevent system, running.

Either way, you should have an error code displayed on your c.panel.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:49 pm
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Not again - I have a couple of fans you can borrow if you get desperate

Sam
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:50 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
What temperature do you have it set at, is it on dry-air ( dehumidify ) as this will run just the fans generally, and no refrigerant.

I would prefer to look like a divvy and fone the A/C ppl.

The outdoor unit, is possibly powered up direct by its own breaker, has this tripped? Is the isolator in off position outside.

Perhaps your drip tray in roof space is full, and there could be a sensor to prevent system, running.

Either way, you should have an error code displayed on your c.panel.
Thanks, really appreciate the advice.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:50 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
Not again - I have a couple of fans you can borrow if you get desperate

Sam
Bloody typical Sam, Dad arrives Friday and while he can cope with the heat his moaning wife will whinge like hell!

May borrw the fans if it gets too hot.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:52 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody typical Sam, Dad arrives Friday and while he can cope with the heat his moaning wife will whinge like hell!

May borrw the fans if it gets too hot.
We've got a couple of fans, too if you want them.
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:54 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We've got a couple of fans, too if you want them.
Thanks Dorothy, much appreciated.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 2:36 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Probably 3 phase breakers ganged together. There might be a trip inside the compressor unit, too.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 2:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's called sod's law hon. Can't have the stepmother with nothing to moan about now, can we
Old Dec 12th 2007, 3:01 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Don't worry, P said he will call in the morning if that's ok?
Old Dec 12th 2007, 3:02 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Don't worry, P said he will call in the morning if that's ok?
Sounds perfect chuck, I appreciate it.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Mumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud of

HI

WE JUST HAD AIR CON FITTED ON MONDAY AND DIDNT WORK AT ALL TURNED OUT A MAN HAD TO COME OUT TUESDAY AND RE PROGRAM IT FROM THE REMOTE CONTROL WORKS FINE NOW

ANN