Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aircon or no aircon? Melbourne weather

Aircon or no aircon? Melbourne weather

Old Apr 22nd 2010, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Aircon or no aircon? Melbourne weather

Thought I'd start this thread so we all stop cluttering Jo's thread about children's immigration

Let the debate rage on...
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Aircon or no aircon? Melbourne weather

I'm quite happy with a fan. I have a misting one. There's maybe one or two days a year here when it's unbearable. At that time it's best to pop around to see someone who has aircon
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 4:21 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say during the day never...my apartment stays very cool...and is correspondingly like an ice box in winter!

Only after about 3 hot days does it get a bit uncomfortable at nights for sleeping...even then I think a fan mostly does the trick.

Given this discussion started due to some comments about Brisbane...I'd say A/C is generally not really required there either, having lived there for 4 years. Depends on the style of the house though and whether it suits the climate its been built in...for a lot of the new builds, they don't and rely on A/C.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 6:16 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Cities like Perth, Adelaide and Brisbane yes l'd say get aircionditioning, you can get by without it in Melbounre but there would probably be around 10-15 days a year when its gets above 35c degrees you would wish you had it, but you could get by with fans .
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

sadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud of

Had the hot air on most of the year.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

I know plenty of people who manage summer after summer without aircon...that said, I am not one of them but it was more DH's decision than mine - now a heater I couldn't manage without
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

I lived for two years in a little old tin house with no air con and you can get through it but I have to say that the heatwaves seem to be lasting longer and longer or maybe Im getting older.......or both.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 7:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

You need it to sleep around 4/5 days per year. All depends whether you can put up with that or not.

Personally I'd always have one just for that reason. Making the Hot Days comfortable is just a bonus compared to the sleep issue.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 7:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Our house had two units installed before we bought it, wouldn't have bothered otherwise. Open doors and windows with screens closed and ceiling fans do the trick here. Saying that I do put the evaporative setting on once in a blue moon if it's really humid but only to stop any mould or damp attempting to get a hold.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 7:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Just had evap cooling installed.

It's nice to turn it on after a brisk walk on a cold day (25C).

On a 40C day if it buys us 8C that will do me.

FYI, it cost $3800 for 5 outlets and took less than a morning to install.

Ian
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 7:40 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mohogony
Cities like Perth, Adelaide and Brisbane yes l'd say get aircionditioning, you can get by without it in Melbounre but there would probably be around 10-15 days a year when its gets above 35c degrees you would wish you had it, but you could get by with fans .
Melbourne in summer gets hotter than Brisbane and you get much more than 10 - 15 days a year above 35C.

I have to say, for Melbourne, the last summer was relatively mild.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 7:42 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
Melbourne in summer gets hotter than Brisbane and you get much more than 10 - 15 days a year above 35C.

I have to say, for Melbourne, the last summer was relatively mild.
According to historical averages Melbourne gets 9.9 days per year over 35C (and 29.9 over 30C).

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/climat...=site&lc=86071
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Have lived in three types of property since getting here and:

1st: 60's apartment no heating or cooling...freeezzing in winter, hot in summer as lots of glass but we survived using blinds and fan at night - don't remember not ever being able to sleep during the hot weather

2nd: modern house with evap cooling. Needed to go on when home office went over 30 as once you got to 33 brain started going a bit fuzzy and not good for the computers. Evap was excellent, cheap to run and brought the temps down to 27 I was quite comfy. Never had it on at night as bedroom was away from the afternoon sun, think we had the fan on a couple of times.

3rd: upside down townhouse. The house has proper air-con which we've not had on because of cost but haven't needed it. The bedrooms and office is downstairs which keeps cool although we had to have the fan on in the office a few times this summer. Upstairs has a lot of glass and it gets very hot but as I'm at home most of the time we just keep the windows and balcony doors open when it's hot but even if you've been out all day it soon cools down as we are on the coast road.

I really think it depends on your style of house, roof etc. Tin roofs cool quicker than tiles and also if you house has eaves. A lot of new places cut costs with eaves but our new one has nice big ones included
We are also having evap installed, big cost but with working from home we do need to keep cool otherwise we have to pack up and go to the beach which is nice but not good for business! Also I think having the evap installed with help with resale.

My problem with Mellie is keeping warm rather than keeping cool. Easy to keep cool just run down the beach into the water at the end of the day. I'm always cold so keeping warm is my issue!

Hope this helps!

KK
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 7:49 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by bcworld
According to historical averages Melbourne gets 9.9 days per year over 35C (and 29.9 over 30C).

...and for Brisbane the figure is only 4.6 days over 35C per year.

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/climat...=site&lc=40211

...but lots of days over 30C.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 8:52 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcworld

Averages are exactly that averages. Some years you get more, some less. Last summer was relatively mild but i'm sure we had much more than 9.9 days above 35C.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.