Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

airbnb or stayz.com.au - are these good sites to use for holiday lets?

airbnb or stayz.com.au - are these good sites to use for holiday lets?

Old Sep 24th 2013, 11:35 am
Just Joined

LadyCroft is an unknown quantity at this point
Default airbnb or stayz.com.au - are these good sites to use for holiday lets?

We are looking at a short term furnished rental from one of these websites rather than the more expensive serviced apartments route. The issue is are these sites kind of like ebay vs gumtree where you are not covered if say you book a rental before leaving the UK and then arrive and it does not exist or something like that?

Sorry - I am waffling. Has anyone used these sites, if so which is better and what should I be wary of?

Thanks
Old Sep 24th 2013, 11:39 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: airbnb or stayz.com.au - are these good sites to use for holiday lets?

Originally Posted by LadyCroft
We are looking at a short term furnished rental from one of these websites rather than the more expensive serviced apartments route. The issue is are these sites kind of like ebay vs gumtree where you are not covered if say you book a rental before leaving the UK and then arrive and it does not exist or something like that?

Sorry - I am waffling. Has anyone used these sites, if so which is better and what should I be wary of?

Thanks
I've used Stayz and Homeaway without any problems, and airbnb is also often recommended - not heard any horror stories that would suggest any should be avoided
Old Sep 24th 2013, 12:08 pm
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: airbnb or stayz.com.au - are these good sites to use for holiday lets?

I've used both airbnb and stayz. No issues at all and would happily use both sites again
Old Sep 24th 2013, 12:41 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LadyCroft

Thanks
Same here, have used both and am happy with them. I suppose you really get to know what a company's like when you have a problem with the service/product, this hasn't happened with Stayz but did once with airbnb. The apartment owner in New York cancelled our long-held booking shortly before we arrived. Airbnb sent me an email of apology, acknowledged how stressful it was to get such a late cancellation and offered various alternative accommodation. The one we chose was more expensive, but airbnb picked up the difference, didn't charge a new booking fee and refunded the original fee as well. Top class service and that's why I lean towards them now.
Not sure about Stayz and some other providers, but airbnb also hold your rental money until the day after you arrive at the property, giving you a chance to alert them if you're not happy with it.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

LadyCroft is an unknown quantity at this point

Great! Thanks for all the replies.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Same here, have used both and am happy with them. I suppose you really get to know what a company's like when you have a problem with the service/product, this hasn't happened with Stayz but did once with airbnb. The apartment owner in New York cancelled our long-held booking shortly before we arrived. Airbnb sent me an email of apology, acknowledged how stressful it was to get such a late cancellation and offered various alternative accommodation. The one we chose was more expensive, but airbnb picked up the difference, didn't charge a new booking fee and refunded the original fee as well. Top class service and that's why I lean towards them now.
Not sure about Stayz and some other providers, but airbnb also hold your rental money until the day after you arrive at the property, giving you a chance to alert them if you're not happy with it.
Wow - that is good service. I like that they hold your rental money until you have arrived. I am leaning towards airbnb now where I was previously pro Stayz! It is just scary moving away from using the tried n tested UK sites and getting into the ways of Oz holiday bookings.

Thanks - appreciate the help very much.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Happily used Stayz for years and never been disappointed. Also use Wotif but that is more for a few days away rather than a holiday let.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

That is pretty awesome.
Old Sep 26th 2013, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

airbnb is great. You often get to meet the owner of the place too, who can give you good local tips on where to eat, transport, etc.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 7:23 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

We get a lot of our guests through airBnB, their system seems to work very well.

BB
Old Sep 27th 2013, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
We get a lot of our guests through airBnB, their system seems to work very well.

BB
How much comm do they charge?
Old Sep 27th 2013, 7:29 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: airbnb or stayz.com.au - are these good sites to use for holiday lets?

Originally Posted by Alfresco
How much comm do they charge?
I don't think they charge us anything - I think the guest pays them a service charge. Will have to ask Mrs Buzzy - she manages the short-term rental, I do more with the long-term ones!

BB
Old Sep 27th 2013, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I don't think they charge us anything - I think the guest pays them a service charge. Will have to ask Mrs Buzzy - she manages the short-term rental, I do more with the long-term ones!

BB
Ah, ok, thanks.