Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Air NZ, Qantas accused of discrimination

Air NZ, Qantas accused of discrimination

Old Nov 29th 2005, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Air NZ, Qantas accused of discrimination

"Air New Zealand and Qantas have banned men from sitting next to unaccompanied children on flights, sparking accusations of discrimination.

The airlines have come under fire for the policy that critics say is political correctness gone mad after a man revealed he was ordered to change seats during a Qantas flight because he was sitting next to a young boy travelling alone."

Further details:
http://au.news.yahoo.com/051128/2/wzpa.html

This is also the same if you fly with Singapore Airlines. I travelled with my 3 children to the UK recently and pre-booked our seats online. On the Perth-Singapore leg the plane only has rows of 3 seats so I knew we couldn't all sit together. I chose 2 seats together for my two girls with 2 seats behind for myself and son. At check-in I was told this wouldn't be permitted, because a man had checked into the seat next to my daughter. What is a man going to do to my daughter on a crowded flight with her mother sitting right behind?! Completely ludicrous. The check-in attendant wouldn't listen, just said it's company policy blah, blah, so I had to put the three children together in the middle row and sit by myself in a seat across the aisle.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air NZ, Qantas accused of discrimination

Originally Posted by Jacqui
"Air New Zealand and Qantas have banned men from sitting next to unaccompanied children on flights, sparking accusations of discrimination.

The airlines have come under fire for the policy that critics say is political correctness gone mad after a man revealed he was ordered to change seats during a Qantas flight because he was sitting next to a young boy travelling alone."

Further details:

This is also the same if you fly with Singapore Airlines. I travelled with my 3 children to the UK recently and pre-booked our seats online. On the Perth-Singapore leg the plane only has rows of 3 seats so I knew we couldn't all sit together. I chose 2 seats together for my two girls with 2 seats behind for myself and son. At check-in I was told this wouldn't be permitted, because a man had checked into the seat next to my daughter. What is a man going to do to my daughter on a crowded flight with her mother sitting right behind?! Completely ludicrous. The check-in attendant wouldn't listen, just said it's company policy blah, blah, so I had to put the three children together in the middle row and sit by myself in a seat across the aisle.
Probably after a recent case where a woman woke up to find she had been molested while asleep, DNA from the man was found in a very private place, makes you cringe doesnt it, yuk.

http://forums.airlinepilotcentral.co...read.php?t=806

There was a few more too, one bloke was molesting some woman while his wife, mother and kids sat on the plane with him

Last edited by jad n rich; Nov 29th 2005 at 1:07 am.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Probably after a recent case where a woman woke up to find she had been molested while asleep, DNA from the man was found in a very private place, makes you cringe doesnt it, yuk.

http://forums.airlinepilotcentral.co...read.php?t=806

There was a few more too, one bloke was molesting some woman while his wife, mother and kids sat on the plane with him

I for one think its a good idea, as my daughter who is flying back to Uk this week on her own and I've already told the airlines I dont want her sitting next to a man.

I can undertand what you are saying about descrimination, but unfortunately there are to many weirdos in this world and with all the media etc I for one am in total agreement with it and I think they should sit near the stewardesses so that they can keep an eye on them!!

Kath
Old Nov 29th 2005, 4:02 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it would be right then if you are sending your son alone that he should only be tended by the female stewards?
Just a thought

Andrew
Old Nov 29th 2005, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

MrsMangle will become famous soon enough

What is a man going to do to my daughter on a crowded flight with her mother sitting right behind?! Completely ludicrous. The check-in attendant wouldn't listen, just said it's company policy blah, blah, so I had to put the three children together in the middle row and sit by myself in a seat across the aisle.

I am actually really impressed that they go to this effort to protect children...I know it may seem over the top, but I speak as someone who once woke up on a relatively busy train to find the guy next to me was discretely j*rking off... we can't watch our kids 24 hours a day, particularly when we're knackered on a long haul trip, all though I'm sure this type of incidentis extremely rare, the air line is just responding to its responsibility to make sure your kids have a safe journey...and good on them I say!
Old Nov 29th 2005, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Further details:

They are not allowed to ask if the man is a Roman Catholic priest, that would be discrimination, so they have to have the rule for all men.