Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Air Fares to UK - why so expensive?

Air Fares to UK - why so expensive?

Old Dec 5th 2010, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air Fares to UK - why so expensive?

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Do what I do...now that I am LUCKY enough to be here...(that's why we came isn't it?)....I don't leave the place.

That's what I'll be doing from now on! Learnt my lesson with this trip I have
Old Dec 5th 2010, 11:19 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ponyrama
Hmmmmm I just booked a trip home in April next year - cost me $2000. To check this theory I reversed the trip and best price was $1271 (or 800 GBP).

Dirty robbin' baz tods is what they are!
That was a bargain, in April 2009 I paid over $2800 on Qantas and that was the cheapest fare I could come up with after lots of research!!
Old Dec 5th 2010, 1:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Presumably this means you're not putting up with it, and managing to get cheaper flights? Yes?

Polly's letter from Emirates makes it clear: there's a lot more people flying from the UK to Australia than from Australia to the UK. Basic supply and demand.
Its not my letter - I just had to edit it to remove an employees name

I have absolutely no time for Emirates at all and personally wouldn't waste time writing to them
Old Dec 5th 2010, 6:26 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
That was a bargain, in April 2009 I paid over $2800 on Qantas and that was the cheapest fare I could come up with after lots of research!!
Yes I thought it was a bargain too - I paid $2200 last October for same trip, and I grabbed this one as the week before SIA were quoting $2500. Wasnt til I saw the price for the reverse journey that I got the shits!
Old Dec 5th 2010, 11:56 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

How about costing a one way trip to the UK and then another one way trip back? I would but am too busy watching the Aussies getting whooped at the cricket
Old Dec 6th 2010, 12:14 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wargod
How about costing a one way trip to the UK and then another one way trip back? I would but am too busy watching the Aussies getting whooped at the cricket
Also busy avoiding work by listening to cricket - BUT as well as 1-way tickets you might want to look at 2 return:

AUS-SIN-AUS
SIN-LHR-SIN

or

AUS-HKG-AUS
HKG-LHR-HKG

There is an increased risk of delays resulting in missed flights in your transit stop - but this can often save A$200-A$500 per full return trip.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

spectralcluster will become famous soon enoughspectralcluster will become famous soon enough

If you know you'll travel at least once a year then it might be worthwhile buying upfront a one way to UK and then a return from UK-Aus. Make sure the Aus-UK return portion is booked as far as possible in the future and then change the date nearer the time. I did this for a while when I initially moved here and will probably do it again.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

I tried doing 2 one ways last year and it would have been cheaper but by the time I actually went to book it SIA had taken away a deal on the one-way from Oz. It could work if you used two different airlines, just depends on which route you want to fly if you want a stop-over and which currency it's priced in and the currency you want to pay in.....confused?!