Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Air conditioning jobs in Victoria

Air conditioning jobs in Victoria

Old Aug 26th 2007, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

Brownie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Air conditioning jobs in Victoria

I have been working in the air conditioning trade for over ten years and have my City & Guilds which i did around Nine years ago.
We have only just started to apply for the visa and i am just trying to work out the following.

We are planning to move to Lilydale in Victoria next year. Just seeing if anyone has done there electrical licence course (Disconnect/reconnect licence) If so i am trying to find out the following.

Is it easy to find a place to do the course?
How long is the course?
How much is it to do the course?
what will the total cost to get the licence?

I would also like to know if all is fine with the TRA could i apply for my ARC licence from the UK.

I think i also need a plumbers licence in Victoria if so can i also apply from the UK once i have the all clear from the TRA. If not will i need to do another course?

My back ground is Daikin VRVs, Mits R2 systems, Tosh Muliti and splits etc
Do they use the same type of systems?

I would also like to know if there is work for air con guys in victoria?

looks like theres a lot of work i need to do before i can start to work in Aus as an air con engineer.

Thanks
Old Aug 26th 2007, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Air conditioning jobs in Victoria

Originally Posted by Brownie
I have been working in the air conditioning trade for over ten years and have my City & Guilds which i did around Nine years ago.
We have only just started to apply for the visa and i am just trying to work out the following.

We are planning to move to Lilydale in Victoria next year. Just seeing if anyone has done there electrical licence course (Disconnect/reconnect licence) If so i am trying to find out the following.

Is it easy to find a place to do the course?
How long is the course?
How much is it to do the course?
what will the total cost to get the licence?

I would also like to know if all is fine with the TRA could i apply for my ARC licence from the UK.

I think i also need a plumbers licence in Victoria if so can i also apply from the UK once i have the all clear from the TRA. If not will i need to do another course?

My back ground is Daikin VRVs, Mits R2 systems, Tosh Muliti and splits etc
Do they use the same type of systems?

I would also like to know if there is work for air con guys in victoria?

looks like theres a lot of work i need to do before i can start to work in Aus as an air con engineer.

Thanks

We are in WA, not victoria. My OH is air con/refrigeration. He had to resubmit his TRA when we got here. You need to have an Aussie address to do this and you can't apply for for the ARC licence until you have the second TRA, basically you put in exactly what you did first time around. But be aware it can take up to 4 weeks to get back and another couple of weeks before you get your licence, nobody would entertain him for a job on the tools before he had the licence. He got very frustrated by it. Not sure how you could do this from the UK, unless perhaps you have rellies who's address you could use, not sure if this can be done or not.

The restricted electrical licence, not sure about. Have you go 16th edition? My OH had got this and included it in his TRA to prove he could do the electrical side and when his TRA came back it said ' refrigeration/ airconditioning mechanic with restrictive electrics', so he was well chuffed.

He is a qualified plumber too in the UK, but couldn't prove the amount of time required for TRA purposes without comprimising the ref/aircon time. He is corgi registered but it means absolutely nothing here. He would have to do a full 4 year apprentiship if he wants that qualification here. Not sur about vic.

As it happened an agent looked at his CV and said why don't you consider management positions. He is now Project Manager for Dalkia. I know his company install alot of Daikin units so they obviously have them here, as for the rest, not been in the trade myself I am not sure and hubby has gone to work.

I hope this helps.

Nicky
Old Aug 27th 2007, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Brownie;
Lilydale is a nice place to live, we live in rowville some 25 mins drive from lilydale. there is lots of work in the Air con industry here mate and its growing at a fast rate the money is also good.

You will have to do a Disconnect Reconnect test, i know one of the Tafe's (college) that do the exam and practical its Swinburne tafe at Knox City thats 25 mins from Lilydale keep in touch with me i know the people there well i can make some arraingments for you to see them the people are really good decent blokes.
The license you will be looking at is called the Electrical Restricted Disconnect & reconnect, you wont get a plumbing license at all to obtain that im sure you would have to do lots of exams at the Tafe, not to sure but you must check that.

The duration of the course for the disconnect & reconnect is a day i think i shall find out for you, can you email me at home for more info.

I dont know the score with the TRA, but as i say there is lots of work in the Air Con field the predictions for this summer is to be a scorcher, that means more work for people like you.

I have myself completed a course to install split systems, you must have the plumbing license here then you must do a course for Air Con 12 weeks in the evenings regardless of your current qualifications, then you must get the air con license then register more money then you must go on the refrigerant register more money then you must rent ant Oxy & accet bottle for the year then you get insurance, again more money, if your working for a mob you wont need insurance or oxy & accet or refrig register.

do you have the air con tools.
they are expensive here, im almost ready to get my tools for the install i do need to go with a air con person for a week to see whats involved in site.
my background is electrical so the air con splits are new to me, so when you get here if you need a lift installing at weekends then give me a shout, the electrical supply for any air con units must be installed by an electrician its as simple as that.

If you send me an email we can chat more if you like.

arthur
Old Aug 27th 2007, 11:44 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply Nicky and Arther

It sounds like a bit of a nightmare and a lot of waiting around at a cost for all these red tape licences.
We are lucky, if we do get the all clear for the visa, we will have a place to stay at no cost for two years at a friends house while they are away. At least i will not have to worrie about paying the rent while i'm waiting for my ARC etc (I will have to send my OH out to work while i look after my son seeing the sights ha ha).

I have never taken the 16th edition as the two companys i have worked for have had there in house electricianons which have done all the power feeds on the new install work (O well)

As you all know it seems a bit of a nightmare trying to plan the future hoping to get all the licences you need before you get to Aus, so you can walk into a job (if only).

Arther will be sending you a pm soon.

I have my own install tools which i will be taking with me as they also cost me a lot of money. I have more of a service, repair and fault finding background but started off on installs. When i get to Aus i will be happy going back to install work i think it will be a case of what ever work is going just to see how its done the Aussie way.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Brownie;
dont bother with anymore training mate in the UK the 16th edition is useless here. as i said before you will have to go on a course of some kind it all depends on your experience now & what you have done in the past, the cost of it all is a nightmare, there are some real rough sods here mate, may i ask when are you intending to be in Australia.

i can get some info for you to do the short course at this Tafe (College) i know all the people who run it all very well so i can if you like take you & introduce you to them, they are real decent people, they will be up front with you & tell you what you need, of course i shall badger them for you to get exemptions in some exams
Old Aug 28th 2007, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
Brownie;
dont bother with anymore training mate in the UK the 16th edition is useless here. as i said before you will have to go on a course of some kind it all depends on your experience now & what you have done in the past, the cost of it all is a nightmare, there are some real rough sods here mate, may i ask when are you intending to be in Australia.

i can get some info for you to do the short course at this Tafe (College) i know all the people who run it all very well so i can if you like take you & introduce you to them, they are real decent people, they will be up front with you & tell you what you need, of course i shall badger them for you to get exemptions in some exams
we are only on the early stage of trying to get are Visa, we hope if all goes well to be out there next year.
My electrical side of things is a bit rusty mate. Do you know of any good books i could try and get hold of? so i could do a bit of revision.
Thanks for your help, i would like to be introduced to the guys that would be a great help (Thats if we do get a Visa)
Old Aug 29th 2007, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Brownie;

Im sorry to say mate you wont get an electrical license to do installations in australia, however you may get whats called a disconnect & reconnect license to do maintenance work on air con systems, this would be a Restricted license only. again dont worry about books or owt like that i know of another lot of people at another Tafe who run a course for disconnect/reconnect they are friends of mine.