British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Air conditioning Engineers in OZ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/air-conditioning-engineers-oz-554652/)

Ahmadj Aug 11th 2008 8:19 pm

Air conditioning Engineers in OZ?
 
Any one designing HVAC in OZ, do you follow ASHRAE recommendations? or is there an Australian code or standard for such designs?

What about illumination?

advic Aug 11th 2008 8:51 pm

Re: Air conditioning Engineers in OZ?
 
Hi

im a refrig/AC engineer going there next year, i cant seem to contact anybody in the same trade as me !!!!!!!

ad

martin102 Aug 12th 2008 12:05 am

Re: Air conditioning Engineers in OZ?
 

Originally Posted by Ahmadj (Post 6669683)
Any one designing HVAC in OZ, do you follow ASHRAE recommendations? or is there an Australian code or standard for such designs?

What about illumination?

The design conditions are different here, throw away your ashrae book.
I don,t design hvac, but size and install a/c and fridge.
Been here 2 years from the the uk.

Mrs Jackaroo Sep 7th 2008 11:59 am

Re: Air conditioning Engineers in OZ?
 
I've just finished a website for an Air Conditioning company - hes an Expat - I'm sure if you contacted him he'd be happy to help. Hes a lovely guy.

http://www.penair.com.au

Ahmadj Sep 7th 2008 11:21 pm

Re: Air conditioning Engineers in OZ?
 

Originally Posted by Mrs Jackaroo (Post 6758276)
I've just finished a website for an Air Conditioning company - hes an Expat - I'm sure if you contacted him he'd be happy to help. Hes a lovely guy.

http://www.penair.com.au

Thanks.. that was helpful :)

Mrs Jackaroo Sep 8th 2008 12:50 am

Re: Air conditioning Engineers in OZ?
 

Originally Posted by Ahmadj (Post 6759695)
Thanks.. that was helpful :)

You're very welcome :)

advic Sep 12th 2008 8:12 pm

Re: Air conditioning Engineers in OZ?
 

Originally Posted by martin102 (Post 6670339)
The design conditions are different here, throw away your ashrae book.
I don,t design hvac, but size and install a/c and fridge.
Been here 2 years from the the uk.

Martin102

dont see many AC guys on here......

do you like it over there?

is it a good move??


ad

Pomster Sep 13th 2008 3:38 am

Re: Air conditioning Engineers in OZ?
 
My hubby is a plumbing apprentice and works installing aircon, which for him is classed as mechanical plumbing.

In Melb there seems to be plenty of work.

Nu-Shooz Sep 13th 2008 3:46 am

Re: Air conditioning Engineers in OZ?
 

Originally Posted by advic (Post 6777491)
Martin102

dont see many AC guys on here......

do you like it over there?

is it a good move??


ad

Air-con guy here..;)

Many courses to go on once you get to OZ to get your licences.

Ahmadj Sep 13th 2008 3:51 am

Re: Air conditioning Engineers in OZ?
 

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz (Post 6778712)
Air-con guy here..;)

Many courses to go on once you get to OZ to get your licences.

What licences?

Engineers don't require licences in most Australian states, isn't that right?

Nu-Shooz Sep 13th 2008 5:05 am

Re: Air conditioning Engineers in OZ?
 

Originally Posted by Ahmadj (Post 6778718)
What licences?

Engineers don't require licences in most Australian states, isn't that right?

Wish that was the case, but you need licence to wipe your arse in WA:lol:

Seriously, i need 4 licences to do the work i do here, Air-con, electrical, Domestic Appliance and plug and cord.

Ahmadj Sep 13th 2008 6:08 am

Re: Air conditioning Engineers in OZ?
 
:)

Seriously, what is the work you do? do you design air-con? or install?

wardy2 Sep 13th 2008 8:16 am

Re: Air conditioning Engineers in OZ?
 

Originally Posted by Pomster (Post 6778703)
My hubby is a plumbing apprentice and works installing aircon, which for him is classed as mechanical plumbing.

In Melb there seems to be plenty of work.


Is that domestic or industrial please.

My OH does industrial in the UK, we move in january, here he does no electrical stuff, will he need to do the restricted electrical license there if working in industrial air con.

Hes debating whether to drop instaliing air con if he needs assorted licenses and stick with pipefitting and welder.

We are moving to qld if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Kaye

Nu-Shooz Sep 13th 2008 8:23 am

Re: Air conditioning Engineers in OZ?
 

Originally Posted by Ahmadj (Post 6778854)
:)

Seriously, what is the work you do? do you design air-con? or install?

No, i don't design air-con units, i repair and install them. Along with all white goods.
It was only last month i had the licencing council round at my house checking all my credentials/licences.
They are very keen in WA.

advic Sep 13th 2008 8:52 am

Re: Air conditioning Engineers in OZ?
 
Hi folks

i passed vetassess exam, what does that get me?
i have heard about the licenses you need, we are going to melly and when i look on the job web sites i cant see a great deal?
maybe im looking in the wrong places?
i did install fridge, VRV's, VRF and splits etc, now work in the office, so maybe a little rusty on the tools for a few weeks...?:eek::confused:

really want to know about wages etc,
i know a plumber in Brizzy and they all get laid off when the job comes to an end and then go and work for somebody else, he aint used to that, but said quite normal over there?

is that the same for fridge/AC??


cheers

ad


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:08 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.