Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Air Conditioning Engineer in Oz?

Air Conditioning Engineer in Oz?

Old Jun 6th 2005, 12:00 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all
Default Air Conditioning Engineer in Oz?

I was wondering if there is any Air Conditioning Engineers who read this that ARE in Australia now?

If so, can you tell me what you think the chances of finding part time work are for someone over there studying to be an Engineer?

This someone will obviously be unqualified, which I'm sure will help lots! ......... NOT! ...lol, but you never know!

Just clutching at straws! ....

Cheers
Old Jun 6th 2005, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

sludger is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Air Conditioning Engineer in Oz?

[QUOTE=Jim2004]I was wondering if there is any Air Conditioning Engineers who read this that ARE in Australia now?

There are lots that read the Saint Georges Day website here in Perth, a few a have links on the home page to either their site or email addresses. these companies do work all around Australia.

Have a look http://www.saintgeorgesday.com.au
Old Jun 6th 2005, 12:23 am
Account Closed

Paul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to allPaul2004 is a name known to all

[QUOTE=sludger]
Originally Posted by Jim2004
I was wondering if there is any Air Conditioning Engineers who read this that ARE in Australia now?

There are lots that read the Saint Georges Day website here in Perth, a few a have links on the home page to either their site or email addresses. these companies do work all around Australia.

Will do, thanks
Old Jun 6th 2005, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough

If so, can you tell me what you think the chances of finding part time work are for someone over there studying to be an Engineer?

This someone will obviously be unqualified, which I'm sure will help lots! ......... NOT! ...lol, but you never know!

Just clutching at straws! ....

Cheers
Would depend on your experience.
But there's lots of work at the moment.
Are you talking about installation work or engineering?
Old Jun 6th 2005, 1:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Quokka
Would depend on your experience.
But there's lots of work at the moment.
Are you talking about installation work or engineering?
Either I guess ?!

Thing is, I'm considering coming to Oz to study in the Air Con trade and go on to apply for PR after studies, but to satisfy the TRA I would need 900 hours work experience to get a positive assessment.

Experience would have to be a nowt I guess. I have NEVER worked in this field, but have worked in many other building related fields.

I think the TRA are asking the impossible maybe!? .... I don't see how your sposed to get work experience while studying, when obv not qualified!

But thought I'd ask all the same.
Old Jun 6th 2005, 3:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Either I guess ?!

Thing is, I'm considering coming to Oz to study in the Air Con trade and go on to apply for PR after studies, but to satisfy the TRA I would need 900 hours work experience to get a positive assessment.

Experience would have to be a nowt I guess. I have NEVER worked in this field, but have worked in many other building related fields.

I think the TRA are asking the impossible maybe!? .... I don't see how your sposed to get work experience while studying, when obv not qualified!

My own view is that the intention is to cut down dramatically on the number of people using Cert III courses as a route to PR.

As I have said many times before on this forum, study in Australia should be seen as the way to get an Australian qualification to bring 'home' when you graduate.

Jeremy
Old Jun 6th 2005, 3:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ
My own view is that the intention is to cut down dramatically on the number of people using Cert III courses as a route to PR.

As I have said many times before on this forum, study in Australia should be seen as the way to get an Australian qualification to bring 'home' when you graduate.

Jeremy

Sure Jeremy, I have seen you state this too, but for us poor old unqualified people, who don't really have ANY other choice! ..... is it THAT much of a bad thing to want to study in a country, qualify in a country, continue to work in that country, and in turn help that country with its shortage?

I don't want to come to Oz and sponge off the state! I never have here, and wouldn't there!

I just need to change career, want to live in Australia, and see the Studying as killing two birds with one stone!
Old Jun 6th 2005, 9:58 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Sure Jeremy, I have seen you state this too, but for us poor old unqualified people, who don't really have ANY other choice! ..... is it THAT much of a bad thing to want to study in a country, qualify in a country, continue to work in that country, and in turn help that country with its shortage?

I don't want to come to Oz and sponge off the state! I never have here, and wouldn't there!

I just need to change career, want to live in Australia, and see the Studying as killing two birds with one stone!
The problem is that studying a trades course onshore is no longer a secure (or even realistic, in most cases) route to permanent residence.

Jeremy
Old Jun 6th 2005, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ
The problem is that studying a trades course onshore is no longer a secure (or even realistic, in most cases) route to permanent residence.

Jeremy
Sure it's no longer secure, realistic I view as your opinion, altho you are prob right, but SOME people must still succeed!

I guess post July when the 900 hours comes into effect will show this, but there isn't anyone I know who is trying to get PR from a Trade Cert III, I'll post a query maybe, but it will prob never get a reply! ...lol

Jeremy, if DIMIA, TRA, or whoever aint happy with Cert III study to PR, then why don't they simply do away with it?

That's the bit that I can't get my head around

Ok, they've made it harder, but requiring work experience isn't a bad call from the TRA. I'd want some work experience from someone I was looking to employ, but they could surely just do away with Cert III to PR and demand a Degree or whatever!
Old Jun 6th 2005, 10:26 pm
JAJ
Retired

Jeremy, if DIMIA, TRA, or whoever aint happy with Cert III study to PR, then why don't they simply do away with it?

That's the bit that I can't get my head around
Because the Cert III is also used by Australian citizens and permanent residents.

It's also a potentially more realistic route to PR for some specific groups including:
- New Zealand citizens (who can work in Australia)
- those qualified overseas who are looking to top things up in the same trade with an Australian qualification (if you already have experience then finding employment is going to be easier).

A furthe reason is political - DIMIA would probably like to do away with it altogether, but are under pressure from the education industry - so one way is to change the requirements to make things a lot harder and maybe abolish it completely further down the line.

Either way, in my opinion it's something of a non-starter to hope to go to Australia and find an employer prepared to give trainee type employment on the scale requirement to someone who's not an Australian citizen/PR and with visa restrictions on when one can work.

Jeremy
Old Jun 6th 2005, 10:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by JAJ
Because the Cert III is also used by Australian citizens and permanent residents.

It's also a potentially more realistic route to PR for some specific groups including:
- New Zealand citizens (who can work in Australia)
- those qualified overseas who are looking to top things up in the same trade with an Australian qualification (if you already have experience then finding employment is going to be easier)
Yeah Cert III is fine, but I mean having a minimum of a Cert III for PR purposes. Why not change to Cert IV or higher!

Originally Posted by JAJ
A furthe reason is political - DIMIA would probably like to do away with it altogether, but are under pressure from the education industry - so one way is to change the requirements to make things a lot harder and maybe abolish it completely further down the line.
Yeah this I can see, after all the Interantional Students pay top money for their courses don't they!

Originally Posted by JAJ
Either way, in my opinion it's something of a non-starter to hope to go to Australia and find an employer prepared to give trainee type employment on the scale requirement to someone who's not an Australian citizen/PR and with visa restrictions on when one can work.

Jeremy
Could very well be the case, but I'd love to hear from someone trying it!

You must be out there somewhere? ...lol
Old Jun 7th 2005, 12:47 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=sludger]

Please put the website link as a subtle signature and refrain from constantly plugging your site here.