Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Air Conditioning

Air Conditioning

Old Jun 23rd 2003, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Richard & Lisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Air Conditioning

Does anyone suffer with Nasal problems caused by Air Conditioning?. On my last two holidays to Majorca and Ibiza, on both occasions I suffered with a real bad blocked nose, I hope it wasn`t the air conditioning that caused this, but it seem`s to be to much of a coincidence.

I hope i`m not going to suffer the same down under.
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

probably was due to the a/c

when air conditioning runs on cooling one of the side effects is to dehumidfy the air by cooling the air to dew point and the water runs off to the outside..

most wall mounts won't have any fresh air make up and will only recirculate the room air -which contains moisture

this will be made worse if you've been out all day with the a/c on so it's 'nice and cool' when you get back

this is part (but not the only cause) of sick building syndrome

one way is to hang a wet towel up in the room so it will help to keep the moisture levels up..

cheers

richard
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

madmancunian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Air Conditioning

Originally posted by Richard & Lisa
Does anyone suffer with Nasal problems caused by Air Conditioning?. On my last two holidays to Majorca and Ibiza, on both occasions I suffered with a real bad blocked nose, I hope it wasn`t the air conditioning that caused this, but it seem`s to be to much of a coincidence.

Most split systems a/c have at least 3 settings - 'Cool', 'Dry' and 'Auto' (reverse-cycle also will have 'Heat'). Avoid the 'Dry' setting as this will cause your nose to try to dance a jig by itself. 'Cool' should be okay - it doesn't de-humidify as much.

MM
Old Jun 23rd 2003, 11:46 pm
The Tooth Fairy

Best to aviod air conditioning as much as possible, it slows acclimatisation and leaves you puffed up with water and feeling lithargic during the day. Arrange your day so that you exercise in the early morining and late evening to sweat out excess water. Avoid fizzy drinks during the day, water or tea is more refreshing. Your body will adjust if you give it the right signals.

Old Jun 24th 2003, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

dog19363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Air Conditioning

Originally posted by Richard & Lisa

Depends on the type of air con.
Evaporative is unlikely to dry out the air like reverse cycle. However, it probably doesn't work so well in the more humid areas of Oz.
Works well in Adelaide )

dog
http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/adelaidebrits
Old Jun 24th 2003, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

evaparative air works okay in dry climates adelaide arizona etc but it's not air conditioning
i refuse to sell them here in the uk as i see them as a rip off..

evaparative air actually puts moisture into the air rather than take it out so yes it will be more suitable for sore throats

http://www.coolmax.mx.com.au/evapcool/evapopn.htm

however it it aslo more likely to get contaminated by bacteria growths ie leagonella and must be regulary cleaned and dosed with chemicals

http://www.multiline.com.au/~mg/b_Ev...e_coolers.html

all in all if you can afford it and are willing to pay the leccy bill go for a/c

and if you want a quote ??? ,,,,;-))

cheers

richard