Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Air Con, Ducted Vs Splits - Cost Comparison anyone?

Air Con, Ducted Vs Splits - Cost Comparison anyone?

Old Jan 11th 2013, 5:15 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Air Con, Ducted Vs Splits - Cost Comparison anyone?

Not the best time to start a thread about air con ... but will bump after sleep.

Yeah has anyone gone from a couple of splits (or 3 even) to a ducted setup? I'm curious as to how much more expensive it is to run.

I rented a house in 2006 for 6 months, so 2 x bills (one thru summer too) and it had a ducted setup. Am unsure of the size, but was 5 bedroom + study house and had 8 zones so would've thought 15kw maybe ?!?! I dunno, but the house also had a decent sized pool so that will top up the leccy bill alone. I'll ask Nic in the morn if she remembers how much the bills were there (girl remembers dates and all that stuff really well) cos from MY memory they wasn't much more than prev place that had 2 x splits. We had the portable unit there and the kids would share usage if it was really hot, but yeah no pool.

*I* seem to think at the house with pool and ducted air con we was paying $500 - $600 every 3 months and about $400 - $450 in prev 2 places come to think of it. Even $200 on top a quarter I think I'd pay for how good ducted is ...

I'm gonna add up the wattage of my 3 units (2 x splits + portable unit) in the morn as it's taking all 3 to do the whole house at the mo. The 2 splits do everywhere apart from the study that sits around a corner and doesn't get any of the air for some reason, but throw the portable unit in and close door, sorted!

Sorted, but yeah will add up the total wattage of the lot plus what just the 2 splits are for comparison, can't see how it'll be much more TBH but when you mention ducted air con to most people, you get the 'Awwwww, expensive!!!!' comment more times than not so would be interested to hear from anyone who's done the jump?

Cheers
Old Jan 11th 2013, 5:28 pm
Account Closed

Default Re: Air Con, Ducted Vs Splits - Cost Comparison anyone?

Because I actually DO Google as well, I've just read this on another forum...

Ducted refrigerated air con all the way here! I've lived with all three - and the extra money we spent putting ducted refrigerated air con in this house (with 6 zones) has been worth every penny! Kicks butt over evap and split systems IMO. FWIW, we have not found it to be vastly more expensive to run than running 3 splits in our old home.

A couple of others agree, but I don't have a clue who these people are. At least on here I have an idea with most posters.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 6:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I too read a fair bit about these systems before I installed my two split systems.

How large is your house and what is the set up there I think is the first place to start.

I use them for heating and cooling and have one 6kwh Mitsubishi Electric inverter system in our kitchen/living/sunroom area which cools the whole lot magnificently and If I open the hallway door easily covers both bathrooms and into my other lounge room.

In that other lounge room I have a smaller Mitsubishi 3khw one which I use at night when the other is switched off which cools that lounge, and 3 bedrooms. The most I have running at once is 6kwh and that very rarely gets used on max.

The most important factor in all of this is probably good insulation, I spent a hell of lot money getting my walls and floors and windows insulated/covered. (the ceiling was already done) .. although the windows just have good blinds etc in the old part of the house... the new has double glazing..

Heating and cooling energy costs were a major factor for me, which is why I made the decision not to go with ducted. As there is no point in cooling or heating empty rooms and it's fairly easy in our situation to direct the air .... forgot to add we use ceiling fans to move the air around.

I'm almost 100 pct electric in my household now.... save for the hot water and I almost got a electric heat pump water system, except I didnt qualify for the rebates... reason I wanted all electric despite the fact that electricity is going up at a faster rate than gas, is in the future it will be easier and easier to generate ones own electricity. I have a wood heater as back up in the Kitchen/lounge/sunroom area.

The maximum I've paid for electricity thus far since my reno has been completed in the last 6 months is a 90 day bill of 730 bucks.... for an almost all electric 25 square house. I anticipate this first summer bill when I've been using air con rather than heating will be even cheaper and expect a sub 650 dollar bill for the first 90 days of summer. Before with jut one of those old reverse cycle heaters and electric heating (our gas heater had packed up about 2 years back) I was paying between 850 and 900 bucks per quarter in the winter cycle.

Insulation plays a much bigger factor in this lower cost than most people realise.

Will add my favourite appliance bought during this reno and possibly a decent energy cost saver is our induction cooktop and double oven electric Belling stove.

One other point... when we become empty nesters... sometime in the next 5-10 years we'll probably only ever use one of those split systems... the 3kwh one has the capacity to cool or heat from the front lounge though to the back kitchen area as long as the adjacent doors aren't open and shut all the time..... Especially with the winter back up of the wood heater.

I guess the main factor for you is what's more important a 100 pct cool house including rarely used rooms or costs and a small amount of planning to cool those rarely used rooms. I went with costs as my main consideration.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 11th 2013 at 7:08 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Tim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant futureTim65 has a brilliant future

One thing I don't get over here is the general attitude to good roof and wall insulation and double glazing ,when its done correctly it works both ways it keeps heat in and out,making it more econmical to run air con etc.

The cost of double glazing is un real out here, most of the glass in uk is made in china now so I can't see where they get there costs from .
Old Jan 11th 2013, 9:52 pm
Account Closed

Firstly thanks for the big reply mate ... and I've grabbed a few bits to reply to.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
IHow large is your house and what is the set up there I think is the first place to start.

I'm not sure TBH, but would say average. I have 1 lounge, 1 kitchen / diner, 1 study (4th bedroom) and 3 other bedrooms. Our bedroom has a walk thru robe to a big en-suite.

The most important factor in all of this is probably good insulation, I spent a hell of lot money getting my walls and floors and windows insulated/covered. (the ceiling was already done) .. although the windows just have good blinds etc in the old part of the house... the new has double glazing..

I have roof insulation every where apart from above the garage. in time the garage will become new lounge and current lounge be cinema / music room, but that's all down the line. Def to take intro consideration tho as it will hopefully happen.

Heating and cooling energy costs were a major factor for me, which is why I made the decision not to go with ducted. As there is no point in cooling or heating empty rooms and it's fairly easy in our situation to direct the air .... forgot to add we use ceiling fans to move the air around.

Currently all rooms in my house are being used. My kids are 20 & 22 years old and both living here with their partners 24/7. Their rooms have nothing but ceiling fans. They move the air around, but no good if it's warm air if you ask me. Ducted will sort these rooms out

I'm almost 100 pct electric in my household now....

No gas available here so only got leccy, but a 1.5kw solar kit of the roof too.

Insulation plays a much bigger factor in this lower cost than most people realise.

Yeah as I say I got most of the roof done, but in time will have 100% done.

One other point... when we become empty nesters... sometime in the next 5-10 years we'll probably only ever use one of those split systems... the 3kwh one has the capacity to cool or heat from the front lounge though to the back kitchen area as long as the adjacent doors aren't open and shut all the time..... Especially with the winter back up of the wood heater.

Now this is a big factor for me also that makes me think just replace my split in bedroom and carry on as is.

As I say I currently have a full house, but this is while both kids complete their studies. My daughter has another 5 years and my son 2 or 4 depending on how far he wants to go. Both openly admit they're here for the low cost ... ... and once they're both earning proper money, they'll be off! ... which will be good with us because as much as we love them, I know 100% all our bills will drop, always hear it but know 100% as they're in this house more than me! Will be good to sell a bit more solar generated kw's to the leccy company too over using it all up all day long ... one day!

Anyway, back on topic we'll be using apart from our bedroom we'll be using bedroom 4 as the study, as we do now. Both other bedrooms will be guest rooms, so won't be used all year round like ours or study. The current lounge unit does 3/4 of the house, but not sure if it touches the kids bedrooms as they're down other end of the house. Doors are close to my room and this is how they get cooled. The seller of the house told me in the hottest summers here, just shuut up shop and get the 2 air cons running, they'll do the WHOLE house, which isn't technically true as I still have the 4th bedroom / study that the air con won't touch so have to use a portable unit for that, and that's not brill. It blows lovely cool air at you if you have if facing you but it doesn't actually cool the room down too well, and the study is small and prob only 4 x 3m ish. Admittedly the hose that goes out the window isn't 100% air tight so not sure how important it is for it to be, but thinking about it we used at a diff house and it did cool the room down. Had a decent air tight fit on the window so maybe answered my own question.

Still 3 x units at once tho!

Wood Burner! ...

I guess the main factor for you is what's more important a 100 pct cool house including rarely used rooms or costs and a small amount of planning to cool those rarely used rooms. I went with costs as my main consideration.

Well currently I'd love the 100 pct cool house, but in say 5 years from now it'll be just the 2 of us here. Kinda think current setup will suffice!

Yeah unless a heap of ppl tell me it's on par with, or not a lot more than my current 3 x units to run at once compared to a ducted system, I'll replace my intermittent faulty bedroom unit asap and be sorted me thinks.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

We did have ducted aircon in the old house and it was lovely. Until it broke down that is as no aircon at all. Not really a big problem as it was fixed pretty quick.

Current house has six split systems so if one stops the others still work.
Old Jan 11th 2013, 11:06 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I recently bought a new pedestal fan from Bunnings.

Seems to do the job.

Wimp.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

If you go ducted, make sure you get a contoller that lets you choose the fixed zone. Some have the main area as a constant on zone which is crap if you only want the bedrooms on. Obviously you need a secondary thermostat.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 1:03 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine is pedal powered.

Originally Posted by DeadVim

Seems to do the job.

Wimp.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 3:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to do the job.

Wimp.

We have neighbours up the road in an "eco house" as they call it with no a/c and no heating. They say they survive just fine. I didn't ask how they fared during our last heatwave though.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 3:23 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Mine is pedal powered.
Originally Posted by Japonica

We have neighbours up the road in an "eco house" as they call it with no a/c and no heating. They say they survive just fine. I didn't ask how they fared during our last heatwave though.
My nuts are down by my ankles today.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 12th 2013, 6:52 am
My hovercraft is full of

Ballys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to beholdBallys is a splendid one to behold

Generally speaking the small split units are far more efficient than the large ones.

http://reg.energyrating.gov.au/compa...aginate_by=500
Old Jan 12th 2013, 7:11 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Do they get caught in anything ?
Old Jan 12th 2013, 11:38 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Gjn200
If you go ducted, make sure you get a contoller that lets you choose the fixed zone. Some have the main area as a constant on zone which is crap if you only want the bedrooms on. Obviously you need a secondary thermostat.
Don't think we'll be goin ducted now, but yeah know exactly what you mean as place we rented with ducted had no zone for the main area so when used at night and you only wanted bedrooms zoned, it was always bedrooms + pretty much rest of the house!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.