British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Air China? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/air-china-597454/)

alipally Mar 14th 2009 6:41 am

Air China?

Anyone flown with these guys?

Just wondering as they have the cheapest flights available at the moment....

TIA! :)

Kooky. Mar 14th 2009 6:49 am

Re: Air China?

My friend's sister came over for Christmas with Air China. Have you checked out how long you'd be sitting around in China? I think she was there many hours, and that's without factoring in the extra distance.

spartacus Mar 14th 2009 7:03 am

Originally Posted by alipally (Post 7377919)

Monkey brain for tea . . no thanks

phat-dave Mar 14th 2009 7:23 am

I'd never fly a Chinese carrier (personal preference) however, if I _HAD_ to, Air China would be my pick.

paulhill Mar 14th 2009 7:37 am

Originally Posted by alipally (Post 7377919)

My parents used this at Christmas (Business Class) and said they were better than Cathay Pacific!

phat-dave Mar 14th 2009 8:14 am

Make sure it's with Air China and not China Airways - Massive difference.... the latter has a terrible safety record too.

alipally Mar 14th 2009 10:45 am

Defo Air China, funny thing is that it will be my son flying not us! I want him to get here safely, but I'm not too worried about hanging around in Bejing!!!
At $1039 return, I may have to book it for him:lol:

( Bad Mummy!!!:o)

CaptainMerton Mar 14th 2009 1:44 pm

For what it;s worth when i booked up middle of last year with Oz Travel they told me dont even consider Air China as the standard of comfort and service are so far below most international airlines it is not worth the cheaper flight costs.

Scotty1 Mar 14th 2009 4:03 pm

Not flown myself, but here's a link to some reviews.

I think it depends on what your expentations are - if not high unlikely to be disappointed!

http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/air_china.htm

Scotty

this charming man Mar 14th 2009 4:18 pm

january 2001,manchester-zurich-uae-beijing-melbourne-sydney
journey from hell with the airline/comfort/food/service from hell.
it was enough to make u never want to fly again,im sure it must have got better,it certainly couldnt have gotten any worse?( surely!)

michael_w Mar 16th 2009 11:19 am

I fly to China quite regularly and I find Air China aren't too bad - but I do have very low expectations. Safety wise, they used to boast that they have never had a crash, at least on international flights. The service varies from eager-but-uncomprehending to Aeroflotstyle take-it-or-leave-it.
My main gripe is not so much with the airline but with passengers. Many seem to be first time travellers and under the illusion that seat allocations are optional, mobile phones and smoking are allowed [so long as the cabin crew don't see you] and that it's OK to start opening the overhead lockers as soon as the wheels hit the runway. And nobody speaks English. Think of it as an adventure.

Fabienne Mar 28th 2009 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by michael_w (Post 7384256)
I fly to China quite regularly and I find Air China aren't too bad - but I do have very low expectations. Safety wise, they used to boast that they have never had a crash, at least on international flights. The service varies from eager-but-uncomprehending to Aeroflotstyle take-it-or-leave-it.
My main gripe is not so much with the airline but with passengers. Many seem to be first time travellers and under the illusion that seat allocations are optional, mobile phones and smoking are allowed [so long as the cabin crew don't see you] and that it's OK to start opening the overhead lockers as soon as the wheels hit the runway. And nobody speaks English. Think of it as an adventure.

Its when they bring out the woks and start doing the noodle thing that always worries me Michael:rofl:

Shhhhhh Mar 29th 2009 10:48 am

Flown them over the Christmas period via Beijing to KL. Food was ample during that flight, no problem asking for seconds, no inflight entertainment whatsoever, the new Beijing airport is nice, has a Chinese themed rest area with a water feature and you can get really cheap cigarettes there, 90 yuan for a box. It's a bit like a big old bus in the sky, get's you there.