Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Air Asia, thoughts/experiences?

Air Asia, thoughts/experiences?

Old Jan 4th 2011, 10:50 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Air Asia, thoughts/experiences?

I'm looking at going back to UK in April for a week and then stopping off in KL for 8-10 days on return. Obviously we are looking at getting as much flight comfort as possible for as little expense.
We are in Sydney so my thoughts are using cheapest airline flights Economy to KL and back, but from KL to London and back use Air Asia and go Premium Class which is till cheaper than regular Quantas/BA and has lie flat beds etc.
That way we can relax more for the longer trips and also have money left over to spend in KL to shop and enjoy ourselves.
Anybody have decent advice, experiences (good and bad) about Air Asia or has some nuggets of information about good quality economic flights.
Old Jan 4th 2011, 11:11 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air Asia, thoughts/experiences?

If you're going to go in the flat beds and you reckon it's close to the same cost as economy on other airlines then, no question, definitely do it.

My main question would be 8 - 10 days in KL...really??
Old Jan 4th 2011, 11:36 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
If you're going to go in the flat beds and you reckon it's close to the same cost as economy on other airlines then, no question, definitely do it.

Well KL is the base, I have a friend who can get me a full hotel suite in KL free and then we will do 5 days at some beach resort, not really sure where yet as my pain in the arse wife is averse to transfers and seems to think everything magically appears as you get off the plane!
Old Jan 5th 2011, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Persia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant futurePersia has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by paddyo
from KL to London and back use Air Asia and go Premium Class which is till cheaper than regular Quantas/BA and has lie flat beds etc.
I didn't know that! I'd definitely opt for that for the longer leg. Thanks for the info.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 9:17 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I too read it and thought, what the hell can you do in KL for that long?
Old Jan 5th 2011, 9:18 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, here's my tip of the day: if you should ever think of taking a taxi from Penang to KL, don't.

(It's a long story.)
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

peast01 is on a distinguished road

I'm looking at going back to UK in April for a week and then stopping off in KL for 8-10 days on return. Obviously we are looking at getting as much flight comfort as possible for as little expense.
We are in Sydney so my thoughts are using cheapest airline flights Economy to KL and back, but from KL to London and back use Air Asia and go Premium Class which is till cheaper than regular Quantas/BA and has lie flat beds etc.
That way we can relax more for the longer trips and also have money left over to spend in KL to shop and enjoy ourselves.
Anybody have decent advice, experiences (good and bad) about Air Asia or has some nuggets of information about good quality economic flights.
We flew with air asia last year in the premium section, be careful though as there is two different planes they use the one we got on from KL to Stansted was brilliant, you could lie down fully and still had room to spare, I think there was only about 12 seats in the premium section. We also had the premium seats from KL to gold coast and in my opionion these were no better than the econony. We have booked premium beds again for april this year from KL to Stansted and we definatley have the beds again.
Must admit with the other posts, we were stuck in KL for over a week because of the volcano in UK and we found we`d had enough after about four days.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 7:55 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I think the KL - Aus planes now also have the flat beds rather than the old 'XL' product, the black leathery seats, which were basically a premium economy seat.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 8:21 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by peast01
We flew with air asia last year in the premium section, be careful though as there is two different planes they use the one we got on from KL to Stansted was brilliant, you could lie down fully and still had room to spare, I think there was only about 12 seats in the premium section. We also had the premium seats from KL to gold coast and in my opionion these were no better than the econony. We have booked premium beds again for april this year from KL to Stansted and we definatley have the beds again.
Must admit with the other posts, we were stuck in KL for over a week because of the volcano in UK and we found we`d had enough after about four days.
Well that sounds good, they definately have the 'lie flat' seats as that is what they are advertising and promoting. My only concern was that I had heard some comments on other forums about cancellations etc and with an 2 airline mix trip I was a bit worried about missing connections etc and getting stuffed.
When you say brilliant, can you expand? Cheers!
Old Jan 6th 2011, 8:24 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

My only concern was that I had heard some comments on other forums about cancellations etc and with an 2 airline mix trip I was a bit worried about missing connections etc and getting stuffed.
Well definitely don't book yourself a short connection at KL...a few hours is required for safety.