Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Air Asia - any tips?

Air Asia - any tips?

Old Aug 20th 2010, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

travelling_annie has a brilliant futuretravelling_annie has a brilliant futuretravelling_annie has a brilliant futuretravelling_annie has a brilliant futuretravelling_annie has a brilliant futuretravelling_annie has a brilliant future
Default Air Asia - any tips?

Hi All,

We have just booked our validation trip on Air Asia (£300 per head cheaper than any other carrier even with all the extras!). Realise it's no frills so has anyone used them and got any tips to make the flight more pleasant?

Thanks!
Old Aug 20th 2010, 12:51 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air Asia - any tips?

Not the flights...but if you're not stopping over in KL...don't even consider spending hours in transit at the LCCT. Book a room at the Tune Hotel for a lie down instead - costs next to nothing.

And order the Nasi Lemak! Yum.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:42 am
Just Joined

daleandsian is an unknown quantity at this point

how u doing. we flew with them in may and yea its no frills, but we had no problems. Infact on the route back, we had a full row of seats to ourselves so we slept for 10 hours... LCCT is pants, nothing to do, so like the other poster said, book an hotel room in KL (fairly cheap) and see a bit of KL.. lovely place.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

I've not flown with them but a friend did earlier in the year.

She said the flight from London was very cold therefore you had to buy at blanket at 13 pounds - so take warm clothes!
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

travelling_annie has a brilliant futuretravelling_annie has a brilliant futuretravelling_annie has a brilliant futuretravelling_annie has a brilliant futuretravelling_annie has a brilliant futuretravelling_annie has a brilliant future

Thanks all.

Have pre-booked the blankets and pillows (only £5) so hopefully should be Ok.

Transit time to Perth is only 4.5 hours on the way out - long enough for me to feel comfortable with the possibility of a delay and picking up and re-checking our luggage but hopefully not long enough for us to get too bored!

Stopping for 3 nights on the way back though so really looking forward to checking out KL.

Thanks again
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

lou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to alllou1003 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by travelling_annie
Thanks all.

Have pre-booked the blankets and pillows (only £5) so hopefully should be Ok.

Transit time to Perth is only 4.5 hours on the way out - long enough for me to feel comfortable with the possibility of a delay and picking up and re-checking our luggage but hopefully not long enough for us to get too bored!

Stopping for 3 nights on the way back though so really looking forward to checking out KL.

Thanks again
There was no in flight entertainment when I did it. There are limited portable sets you can hire for about 20 quid which I tried to do, but they were sold out by the time they got to me!
So my advice is to either pre book one if possible, or make sure you take an Ipod or whatever with lots of music, films and TV on it!

I found the flight fine! The only thing I missed was having my choice and pick of watching the TV. But that is easily solved by teking something of your own with you!

KL is good - I like it. The airport (LCCC) is over an hour from the city, but you can get a bus very cheap.
Just make sure you go back to the right airport for your connection! It's the budget airport, not the main one! Hehehe
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:58 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I know someone has mentioned that they may now be offering a flight connections service...and the info is now on their website:

http://www.airasia.com/au/en/transfer.html

So for flights between London and Perth & Melbourne they will thru check bags and most importantly they offer Free flight move for your connecting flight if your first flight is delayed.

Doesn't mention Gold Coast <> London - not sure why, perhaps just an oversight.

It does say though that the service is available when you make a single booking for both your flights -which is odd as AFAIK this still isn't possible.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by travelling_annie
Hi All,

We have just booked our validation trip on Air Asia (£300 per head cheaper than any other carrier even with all the extras!). Realise it's no frills so has anyone used them and got any tips to make the flight more pleasant?

Thanks!
Flew to London with them last month:
Planes from Australia to KL are new A330s (in fact the plane from KL to Perth was less than a week old)
Planes from KL to London are ex-Air Canada A340s
KL LCCT is crap, although there is a Tune Hotel nearby and an Ambassador VIP lounge in the Terminal
Duty-free at KL LCCT is cheap
We stayed overnight for transit - although this may have now been addressed (see above)
Legroom and space is about the same as most other airlines
Seats recline (this is new as they never did before)
The pre-booked meals are fine - no worse that full-service airlines
ipads, ipods, laptops, Nintendos etc were working overtime - take spare batteries if you can (not an option for Apple fan girls)
The cabin was cold at first but heating was turned on later and was comfortable
Service is brisk and business-like, crew are friendly enough
Take snacks with you to save money (on the way back we stopped at M&S to stock up)
Buy water in the departure lounge
Stansted is not the best airport - especially for access to SE England but has awesome flight connections to the rest of Europe
Watch your luggage allowance - we got stung for GBP50 for being over our allowance out of STN. You can add extra luggage allowance online up to 4 hours before take-off

Overall AAX are fine. I would rather fly Singapore but we paid just over $700 for these flights, and for that price they are first rate.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

only other thing to add is if you do want to buy extra drinks and snacks, which are cheap, you need local currency so pounds/MR/AU$. I'm no whizzo with numbers but i do recall it working out much cheaper in MR then $s then pounds.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bcworld
I know someone has mentioned that they may now be offering a flight connections service...and the info is now on their website:

http://www.airasia.com/au/en/transfer.html

So for flights between London and Perth & Melbourne they will thru check bags and most importantly they offer Free flight move for your connecting flight if your first flight is delayed.

Doesn't mention Gold Coast <> London - not sure why, perhaps just an oversight.

It does say though that the service is available when you make a single booking for both your flights -which is odd as AFAIK this still isn't possible.
Fantastic - that saves a fair bit of hassle. Says in the details that you just need to present both confirmed itineraries at your first check in.

And free flight move is a fantastic service for a no-frills service - no way Ryanair would allow that!