Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ahhhhh! Changed my mind again now Port Macquarie

Ahhhhh! Changed my mind again now Port Macquarie

Old Apr 26th 2007, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice
Smile Ahhhhh! Changed my mind again now Port Macquarie

I need to stop reading the threads because i have changed my mind so much my hubby has stopped asking where we are going! I had decided on cairns yesterday, redcliffe the day before, tasmania last week and perth last year! Cairns was in the lead but the heat is a real concern three months of scorching hot weather sounds like a long time. So back to the drawing board and have come up with Port Macquarie NSW. Its got the beaches, affordable housing, greenery, national parks.
But it does seem like a quiet place is the case? if anyone has been or lives there would appreciate your opinions.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ahhhhh! Changed my mind again now Port Macquarie

Originally Posted by Here comes the sun
I need to stop reading the threads because i have changed my mind so much my hubby has stopped asking where we are going! I had decided on cairns yesterday, redcliffe the day before, tasmania last week and perth last year! Cairns was in the lead but the heat is a real concern three months of scorching hot weather sounds like a long time. So back to the drawing board and have come up with Port Macquarie NSW. Its got the beaches, affordable housing, greenery, national parks.
But it does seem like a quiet place is the case? if anyone has been or lives there would appreciate your opinions.
Bit 'middle of nowhere'. Lots of retired people. Long way to Sydney (5 hours drive) and even further to Brisbane. Probably OK if you can get work locally but if your kids have any ambition they'd have to leave town as soon as they finish school.

See Arkon's posts. He lives near there.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice

Is there anywhere around sydney that has affordable rents and nice beaches but family orientated?
Old Apr 26th 2007, 12:44 pm
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

hi there here comes the sun......

i,m a brummie , so's the wife ( sutton coldfield...sort of ) been living in northern NSW....near tweed ....20mins from the goldcoast, place called the sALT.
My opinion....what kind of work are you looking for, or are you million airs ....who can sit on there arses all day?
Old Apr 26th 2007, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Is there anywhere around sydney that has affordable rents and nice beaches but family orientated?
Central coast is cheaper than Sydney itself and it's definitely family-oriented with lovely beaches.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 1:16 pm
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NickyC
Central coast is cheaper than Sydney itself and it's definitely family-oriented with lovely beaches.
Yep I'd 2nd that! Much much cheaper and beautiful beaches!
Old Apr 26th 2007, 1:25 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

On a scale of 1 to 10 based on everywhere I've been sofar in Oz. I'd say Port gets an 8 compared to other places here. My biggest gripes are:- Too far to a decent shopping center, Erina Fair or Newcastle are about the closest but too far for a day trip shopping.

Housing costs are cheap by city standards but way over priced by rural standards. I've been told by the local agents that it is the most over priced region in the country for the location.

Still you can get something nice for about $350k.

The biggest problem with Port is it's remoteness. If you need more than what port offers your in deep do do as there is nowhere else to go. Not even anywhere else to go for days out like other towns etc. Not because the other towns don't exist but more because there is nothing in the other towns worth visiting.

If your retired then its the place to be. Getting jobs there is VERY hard, jobs exist but the whole of NSW wants to live there and the Ozzies get the jobs first.

There are no good book shops, limited eating out after dark. The town becomes a morgue after mid day most days. On the plus side, good variety of beaches, the most pleasant and polite people on this coast IMO.

To sum it up in a word... Nice.... But not great. Better than most places in NSW IMO.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

Whats classed as central coast?
Old Apr 26th 2007, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Hi the plumber
we live in sutton coldfield at the mo, and are definately not millionaires. We are both nurses so i think our combined aus salary would be around $70 000 as i would need to work part time. The climate in NSW seems the most bearable. We have a four year old daughter so a town with plenty of familys, nice beach and affordable rents is what we need. I dont mind commute of up to 40 mins to work.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 1:35 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Whats classed as central coast?
Another thing... The climate in Port, was voted best most temperate climate in the world by the WHO a while ago. It's very stable, if a bit dry. Doesn't get the extreems of up north or down south. Everyday the sky looks like the Simpsons sky. You can always play golf. The temperature doesn't seem to spike high like Sydney and Melbourne.

On the down side, if you like your seasons, you don't get much difference between them. only the temperature seems to change. seems to go something like Winter 18-21 every day, spring 21-24 every day, Summer 29-33 every day and Autum back to 21 every day.

I find temperature wise, the averages you see on charts are much more acurate for port as there isn't the wide extremes, Places like Melbourne on a chart can look like it has a nice 21 degree average but it's made up of 10 degree one day and 40 the next.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:20 am
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of

I used to live in Port. I'd live there again tomorrow.

PM me if you need any specific info.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

nzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nice

Hi the plumber
we live in sutton coldfield at the mo, and are definately not millionaires. We are both nurses so i think our combined aus salary would be around $70 000 as i would need to work part time. The climate in NSW seems the most bearable. We have a four year old daughter so a town with plenty of familys, nice beach and affordable rents is what we need. I dont mind commute of up to 40 mins to work.
You absolutely won't beat Port M. I've done the East Coast, Top End and West Coasts. It oozes lifestyle, is very affordable, modern, has all the services you want, is actually 4 hrs to Sydney (380km), has the main hospital for the region and there are several satellite towns around it.

Newcastle, Forster Tuncurry to the South are great day trips (1-2hrs dve)

Plenty to do for kids and there's a swag of them running around the place.

I'd live there in a heartbeat if I wasn't chasing the big bucks in the mines at the mo'. Hope to get back there at least once a year for some flying with a buddy and eventually base myself there once I get back to the East Coast.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

even more confused i had a look at central coast terrigal/gosford that looks great as does port M. A few people have said its a great place but full of retired people we are in our late twentys so would like to be around other famillys/couples. Its difficult when you cant get out there yourself to make up your own mind but definately appreciate feedback on these places.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Here Comes the Sun,

From what you told me the other day, I could imagine you and your family in Port Macquarie.

I would only describe it as isolated if you're used to living in downtown Japan.
You Brits make me laugh at times!!! Try Arnhem land NT, or far northern WA if you really want to discover the meaning of isolated. Sorry, couldnt help meeself, don't take it the wrong way ok.

I could also see you being happy in Tweed Heads, like was suggested on here also.

Would the finances allow for a quick whirlwind trip to some of these places once you get here??

Make sure you let me know what you decide, I'd be interested to see where you guys end up.

Kind regards,
Vegemite
Old Apr 27th 2007, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

nzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nice

even more confused i had a look at central coast terrigal/gosford that looks great as does port M. A few people have said its a great place but full of retired people we are in our late twentys so would like to be around other famillys/couples. Its difficult when you cant get out there yourself to make up your own mind but definately appreciate feedback on these places.
Lived in Umina (Central Coast) for 12 months. A fair bit of drug related crime up there although the CC is very spread out. Terrigal is nice but very pricy. Gosford is the hub of the CC. OK but nothing flash. Plenty of nice beaches there (CC)

There's been an exodus from Sydney to the CC for years mainly in pursuit of a better lifestyle (escape the rat race of Sydney), close to and easy access to beaches (heaps cheaper than anything in Sydney) but!!!

Yep there's always a but!! Commuting to Sydney is a nightmare to say the least especially if you work shift and odd days. If you're gonna live on the CC then you'd better work there and that will be hard because it's probably tougher getting work there than Port M.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.