Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ah...now I know whats wrong???????

Ah...now I know whats wrong???????

Old Oct 25th 2003, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

francesduggan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ah...now I know whats wrong???????

It has only just occured to me ,it was when I read my private messages from people who actually agreed with what I had to say,the bullies and the loud mouths have taken over the asylum.So if someone does'ent agree with the opinion of others they are not only castigated in public , but badgered and made to look foolish by the others,and I thought that kind of thing only happened in school yards ,among 3 year olds..
The number of people who agreed with what I had to say ,but were afraid to voice their opinion in public .Does'ent it make you wonder ??????? To all those who supported what I had to say ,THANK YOU.
I began viewing this site in January of this year,don't get me wrong,some of the posts are fantastic and helpfull but I'm beginning to wonder if Australia is big enough?Just goes to show ,there is nothing on the application form under loud mouth,small minded or asshole,piity, might make the vetting process easier.
Looking forward to an avalanche of critism and abuse .
Old Oct 25th 2003, 11:48 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

frances, just run it past us again ... what exactly where you (& all the people who pmed you agreeing) trying to say?
Old Oct 25th 2003, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Simple really,ask a serious question and get only 1 or 2 replys, post a joke or silly comment and every idiot under the sun replys .I seen dozens of replys to the most inane and stupid crap posted and some poor sod has a question ,that needs to be answered ,and all he gets is ,,,,,ignored!!!!!!
Old Oct 26th 2003, 12:35 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by francesduggan
Simple really,ask a serious question and get only 1 or 2 replys, post a joke or silly comment and every idiot under the sun replys .I seen dozens of replys to the most inane and stupid crap posted and some poor sod has a question ,that needs to be answered ,and all he gets is ,,,,,ignored!!!!!!
Or he/she may have been pointed to the search function at the top of the page if its a commonly asked question? Or perhaps no-one knows the answer?

As I have already pointed out, in your case you didnt ASK your questions about Brisbane suburbs or how much money you are talking with you in this forum. You asked it in the immigration forum which answers technical questions about visa applications etc. Not everyone posts in & reads more than 1 forum, I know I certainly dont! If you post in the wrong forum you cant really expect much response, can you?

In this forum, for every expat who lives here there are literally hundreds of people in the UK asking questions. Are we supposed to sit here all day every day waiting for questions for us to answer? I like to think that I help people quite a bit, but when I read posts like yours I sometimes wonder why? Most of the people who post the inane stuff (no offence guys, I enjoy the jokes & banter! ) are the ones in the UK, who quite often dont know the answers to your questions anyway! You get to know posters & some form of bond quite often develops. Thats why you get the banter & jokes. Its a bit like the tv, if you dont like whats on, switch channel. Theres a whole www out there with information, if you think no-one helps you in here, go find the answers out there!

In answer to your original question about suburbs of Brisbane if you had done a search (in THIS forum) searching just the last month you would have gotten 21 threads of which THESE 7 are probably the most helpful.

Ruralish - 10 replies

Is Ipswich a dive? - 11 replies

Whats wrong with Logan? -10 replies

Brisbane, where to live, opinions from the forum - 20 replies

Burpengary - 5 replies

Know anything about Brisbane - 72 replies

Brisbane suburbs - 6 replies

But of course none of us ever reply to any questions for information!
Old Oct 26th 2003, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Or he/she may have been pointed to the search function at the top of the page if its a commonly asked question? Or perhaps no-one knows the answer?

As I have already pointed out, in your case you didnt ASK your questions about Brisbane suburbs or how much money you are talking with you in this forum. You asked it in the immigration forum which answers technical questions about visa applications etc. Not everyone posts in & reads more than 1 forum, I know I certainly dont! If you post in the wrong forum you cant really expect much response, can you?

In this forum, for every expat who lives here there are literally hundreds of people in the UK asking questions. Are we supposed to sit here all day every day waiting for questions for us to answer? I like to think that I help people quite a bit, but when I read posts like yours I sometimes wonder why? Most of the people who post the inane stuff (no offence guys, I enjoy the jokes & banter! ) are the ones in the UK, who quite often dont know the answers to your questions anyway! You get to know posters & some form of bond quite often develops. Thats why you get the banter & jokes. Its a bit like the tv, if you dont like whats on, switch channel. Theres a whole www out there with information, if you think no-one helps you in here, go find the answers out there!

In answer to your original question about suburbs of Brisbane if you had done a search (in THIS forum) searching just the last month you would have gotten 21 threads of which THESE 7 are probably the most helpful.

Ruralish - 10 replies

Is Ipswich a dive? - 11 replies

Whats wrong with Logan? -10 replies

Brisbane, where to live, opinions from the forum - 20 replies

Burpengary - 5 replies

Know anything about Brisbane - 72 replies

Brisbane suburbs - 6 replies

But of course none of us ever reply to any questions for information!

I have a sneaky feeling that Frances is just looking for reactions...either that or he is dafter than i gave him credit for.

There is a bit of a "pack mentality" in here however, but i guess you get that everywhere. Experience has taught me that even supposed grown ups like to gang up or feel they are part of a "group" , and when you are a new kid on the block you often get ignored and overlooked for a while.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 12:59 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by podgypossum
I have a sneaky feeling that Frances is just looking for reactions...either that or he is dafter than i gave him credit for.

There is a bit of a "pack mentality" in here however, but i guess you get that everywhere. Experience has taught me that even supposed grown ups like to gang up or feel they are part of a "group" , and when you are a new kid on the block you often get ignored and overlooked for a while.
podgy, to be fair, yes, sometimes newer members may not get the same response that a well known member does from some people. But there are always people willing to help whether it your first post or you are into your thousands of posts. Look at the know about Brisbane post by readytogo - 72 replies & from memory that was one of their very first posts.

I think its alot more to do with the question you ask than just who you are. A question like "Whats it like in Brisbane" or "Whats the wages like?" are going to get largely ignored, its way too broad a subject. Similarily Dickos thread (sorry Dicko, no offence) about what the wages are like for a sheet metal worker moving to Geelong is not likely to get a barrage of responses, how many sheet metal workers living in Geelong that have moved from the UK do you think there might be posting on this particular forum? Not many would be my guess . I guess it can be hit & miss, but I think there are certain things that you can post that will get more interest/responses.

As for the pack mentality & the need to belong & be right, yes, it exists everywhere, its human nature. It even exists in this thread - after all why else would frances need to post to tell everyone how many people agree with him/her.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
podgy, to be fair, yes, sometimes newer members may not get the same response that a well known member does from some people. But there are always people willing to help whether it your first post or you are into your thousands of posts. Look at the know about Brisbane post by readytogo - 72 replies & from memory that was one of their very first posts.

I think its alot more to do with the question you ask than just who you are. A question like "Whats it like in Brisbane" or "Whats the wages like?" are going to get largely ignored, its way too broad a subject. Similarily Dickos thread (sorry Dicko, no offence) about what the wages are like for a sheet metal worker moving to Geelong is not likely to get a barrage of responses, how many sheet metal workers living in Geelong that have moved from the UK do you think there might be posting on this particular forum? Not many would be my guess . I guess it can be hit & miss, but I think there are certain things that you can post that will get more interest/responses.

As for the pack mentality & the need to belong & be right, yes, it exists everywhere, its human nature. It even exists in this thread - after all why else would frances need to post to tell everyone how many people agree with him/her.

LOL..too true Mrs Dagboy!

I'm just a soppy big softy that wishes people would be kinder to each other... dont get me wrong, i'm tough as old boots and can fight with the best, but i'm bored and over it all nowadays.

Aww bugger it...i'm waffling again...i'm going...toodle pip!
Old Oct 26th 2003, 1:17 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Frances,
What you have to remember is that a lot of posters have been on the forum for a long time, you registered in January in that time how many times have you seen the same posts, "Is it worth taking the car/tools/pet? "What's the cheapest flight/best airline"? "Who's the best shippers/removals firm"? These crop up as regular as clockwork and a simple search would reveal loads of info, you have to be prepared to put the legwork in. It's so easy to find a forum and ask question after question and if you don't get a response it could be that the question's been asked so many times that no-one can be bothered to reply.
When I first posted I thought my world would end if I didn't get an answer to my questions as they were so important to me, as time progressed I realized that it was only me they were important to and any response was from someone who had actually gone out of their way to type a reply in their own time for free and without any obligation to the question poser. Occasionally someone comes along and thinks the forum should be dedicated to answering their every thread and when they don't get a result they resort to abusing the posters who have been around the longest and as such have built up a rapport with each other. Rubbing those people up the wrong way with condescending reply like yours will serve only to alienate you from the people who are best suited to answer your questions.:lecture:
You'll find there are four stages to the time on the forum 1st is when everything is new and you've got hundreds of questions, your preparing your application and are deadly serious. 2nd is when the boredom sets in you've submitted the application and been around long enough to get to know a few others at the same stage, your passing time with useless banter and jokes keeping each others spirits up. 3rd you get the visas and after the initial euphoria you then get the wobblies and go all serious again. Selling the house planning the flights and arranging everything is about as stressful a situation as you'll ever find yourself in. 4th you get there and it's your forum you are an expat and can post what the f**k you like as it's called expats SO THERE!!!!!!
Sean
PS I'm at stage three we fly in a week and the bloody buyers still haven't exchanged! can I sleep? no I bloody can't!! Buyers due to sign Monday we sign and complete Tuesday and move out same day then we fly on Friday oooooooer I need another Gin :scared:
PPS All the people who PM'd you should voice their opinions on the forum, bloody hell your at a terminal and no-one knows who you are why should you feel intimidated? stand up and be heard for gods sake
Old Oct 26th 2003, 1:22 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs D you beat me to it I type so slowly whilst sipping gin and you make the point so much better than I Ahh well back to the gin
Old Oct 26th 2003, 1:33 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by cresta57
Mrs D you beat me to it I type so slowly whilst sipping gin and you make the point so much better than I Ahh well back to the gin
LOL I was just reading your post & thinking that you said it probably better than I did, especially the point about spending time writing replies etc . And dont worry, I type slowly all the time, not just when Im drinking anything, then you wouldnt be able to read my posts for the typos

Good luck with the house btw, I have been following whats going on with everyones sales etc, even if I dont usually have time to make a reply .
Old Oct 26th 2003, 4:42 am
WBB

Default Re: Ah...now I know whats wrong???????

It has only just occured to me ,it was when I read my private messages from people who actually agreed with what I had to say,the bullies and the loud mouths have taken over the asylum.So if someone does'ent agree with the opinion of others they are not only castigated in public , but badgered and made to look foolish by the others,and I thought that kind of thing only happened in school yards ,among 3 year olds..
The number of people who agreed with what I had to say ,but were afraid to voice their opinion in public .Does'ent it make you wonder ??????? To all those who supported what I had to say ,THANK YOU.
I began viewing this site in January of this year,don't get me wrong,some of the posts are fantastic and helpfull but I'm beginning to wonder if Australia is big enough?Just goes to show ,there is nothing on the application form under loud mouth,small minded or asshole,piity, might make the vetting process easier.
Looking forward to an avalanche of critism and abuse .

looking for a reaction again?

Old Oct 26th 2003, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Frances - If I was you I would spend time searching for previous threads instead of keep accusing everyone of being bullies. You have obviously got some weird ideas about this forum. I cannot understand why loads of people have been sending you PM's saying agreeing with you saying that they are to scared to post. This is an internet forum where everybody can remain anonymous - do they think someone is going to come and knock on their door???:scared:

Come on folks don't be shy!!! We don't bite!

Last edited by debsy; Oct 26th 2003 at 4:03 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

apart from welshboybilly's predictable responce,I understand and accept what you are all saying .I,too , read many posts for many months ,frustrated at the sameness of alot of the questions .My first question is about areas of Brisbane to buy or to avoid .Think about it like this ,if an Australian came to my town or area with his life savings ,wondering where to buy a property for instance,I would know what areas he should concentrate on, say closeness to local hospital ,if he wanted to rent out his investment for instance , where he would have a big turnover of doctors and nurses are tenants ,or near a university where students need accomodation.Or ,if you wanted to buy just one property for his own family ,if there was a local amanity that would increase the value ,say a marina for instance ,or a trendy shopping area .Maybe ,buy on a golf course developement,like the Greg Norman site out in Brooklands .Is Albany Creek any good ,or are they going to build the world 's largest sewage plant there,is Manly to be avoided for some unforseen reason .Just local knowledge that would be invaluable. I don't buy or invest in anything without doing alot of research,and I don't have the luxury of making mistakes,I just don't want to be the dummy taken by some sharp salesman.Many thanks for all the replies and infomation
Old Oct 26th 2003, 8:16 am
Just Joined

ms fruity is an unknown quantity at this point

Somebody (i forget who) compiled a document that you could print out containing alot of imformation about the Brisbane ereas good and bad.It was very imformative and helpful. Do a search and i am sure you will find it.
Old Oct 26th 2003, 9:42 am
WBB

apart from welshboybilly's predictable responce

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.