Reload this Page >

agriculture business jobs

agriculture business jobs

Old Dec 20th 2010, 1:31 am
Just Joined

kgroonie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default agriculture business jobs

Hi there,

Im from the UK and have over 10 years experience in the agribusiness industry. My wife and I are currently looking for a move abroad and new challenge, is anyone else working in this industry an give advice on employment?
Old Dec 20th 2010, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: agriculture business jobs

Originally Posted by kgroonie
Hi there,

Im from the UK and have over 10 years experience in the agribusiness industry. My wife and I are currently looking for a move abroad and new challenge, is anyone else working in this industry an give advice on employment?
'Agribusiness' is a huge area. You could be anything from a farm hand to an international grain trader. Narrow it down for us a bit to your actual area and I should be able to give you some ideas.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 8:58 am
Just Joined

kgroonie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, thanks for the reply. Mainly our business has been in agrochemicals and also seeds (sales that is) Also have farm hand experience as we own a small farm with beef cattle. Hope this helps !!
Old Dec 20th 2010, 7:59 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

i'm not really in the same branch as yourselves, I have been in cut flower & plant horticulture business for the last 25 years, and work over here for the largest cut flower wholesaler in Australia as company buyer at the moment.

Here in the Dandenongs & surrounding areas there are hundreds (maybe even thousands) of small farms growing anything from cut flowers, plants, cut foliages, soft fruit, plant seedlings etc etc. Small is 10-30 acres.

There is a very high Dutch & Italian population in various towns around here, all specializing in what they grew up with in the homeland.

Cattle & grain farming tends more to be further out from the CBD's

I know Shepparton is an area where both grain & meat farming being large indutries in the area. Land also gets cheaper further inland as well, making it more affordable to farm on a bigger scale to be more cost effective.

Everybody I know in the horticulture industry work VERY hard, many working 7 days a week, but you can earn a decent living from it, and have a good life.

I know when I was looking 4-5 years ago there were a number of agri job site online. Dont know anymore which ones, but do a quick Google search, and you should turn something up, and give you an idea of areas & job opportunities.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kgroonie
Hi there, thanks for the reply. Mainly our business has been in agrochemicals and also seeds (sales that is) Also have farm hand experience as we own a small farm with beef cattle. Hope this helps !!
So we have all the big seed people here like Pioneer, Bayer, Syngenta, etc...as well as many independents HSR Seeds, Regal Seeds, South Pacific Seeds, etc etc.

With your background in seed and chemical you might get a job with one of the farm supply houses like PGG Wrightson, Elders, CRT, etc. Most of these jobs are advertised in The Land (NSW), Queensland Country Life (QLD), The Weekly Times (mainly VIC)
Old Dec 21st 2010, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
With your background in seed and chemical you might get a job with one of the farm supply houses like PGG Wrightson, Elders, CRT, etc. Most of these jobs are advertised in The Land (NSW), Queensland Country Life (QLD), The Weekly Times (mainly VIC)
Or try Stock Journal (mainly SA) which advertises via Career One from memory.

Good luck with your search. We found (as hands on farm managers) that sponsorship was the only option available at the time (it may be better now) even with degrees, experience etc - Farming as such wasn't on the most wanted list - Agronomists etc were though so as I said it may be easier to come independantly now.

However if sponsorship is available, we've found it to be very successful for us.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jothefw
Or try Stock Journal (mainly SA) which advertises via Career One from memory.

Good luck with your search. We found (as hands on farm managers) that sponsorship was the only option available at the time (it may be better now) even with degrees, experience etc - Farming as such wasn't on the most wanted list - Agronomists etc were though so as I said it may be easier to come independantly now.

However if sponsorship is available, we've found it to be very successful for us.
Yes, and The Land re-advertise their paper's jobs on seek.com.au - from memory.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Also look at www.agcareers.com.au a good source of specifc ag jobs.