Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Agghh! Help – missed get a new life on BBC2!

Wikiposts

Agghh! Help – missed get a new life on BBC2!

Old Apr 23rd 2003, 7:30 am

bored_bean is an unknown quantity at this point

OK What did I find unrealistic? Well I always believed in the 7 Ps
Proper Planning & Preparation Prevent Piss Poor Performance. Maybe it's the editing but the relocators don't appear to be able to plan their way out of a paper bag. First they look on the Internet and say that Redcliffe is a great place to go, then they say (after telling the family to research Redcliffe) that they've made a mistake and that another suburb is where they should be. They didn't arrange his electrician's permit, nor (it would appear) arrange any interviews. It was rushed to fit in with the filming schedule so nothing was prepared properly. If the guy had spent the time waiting for his PR doing research as to what he needed to do (as we are on this board), he wouldn't have had any use for a relocator. Yes it was interesting seeing the wife's isolation but had the thing been properly planned I think there would have been less of that. It was worth watching to see, but it doesn't reflect a properly planned move. If you've got your act together, your move should be NOTHING like that program.
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Talking

I agree, but I was trying to explain and most people in work agree with me.

Every one of these programmes are putting poor pressure on the movers to get work straight away and none of them have any money, which could be due to the speed of the swift move to these places. I wouldn't be happy in my true paradise even , if I had jet lag and was under pressure to work and settle and give an answer so quickly.

I felt sorry for them but he seemed pretty chilled out kind of guy.

It isn't a true reflection of any relocation really, possibly apart from the leaving and the homesickness.

I wish the presenters from Location Location Location would do it instead much more fun as the prenters on there are soooo false.

Carrianne
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 8:03 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

I have only seen parts of the first 2 episodes and fully the one on Brisbane. It appears that they all seem to be filmed at the same time - ie they have been abroad over Xmas/NYE, which may go some way to explain lack of time the 'reallocater' put to each couple/family.

What enourmous amount of stress to go through in a 6 week period - 2 wks to pack everything in: job, house, seeing off family/friends

Most people have to give 1mth notice, my husband has to give 3mths for his job and that alone would be stressful enough to tie everything off, plus we have had several posts from people pulling their hair out (at least baldbutts has saved on a 'crack & sac' wax ) trying to sell their house before or even after they emigrate. Then all the things, others have mentioned upon their arrival in Oz.

I also notice that it was done by or in association with liquid news - don't they do entertainment (rather than documentaries)?
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

crocoonimper is an unknown quantity at this point

The trouble with this series is surely that it is all done to achieve"good television" ie they dont give a toss about the families involved. Realistically even if you did organise a move in 2 weeks, as somebody else has mentioned you need at least a year to know if you can settle somewhere. Of the 3 programmes so far I thought that this couple had the most realistic expectations and grounded attitude of the lot - probably because they had been through the whole visa app process - we should all be proud to have had the guts to get on with it and take the risk. And at the end of the day they stayed - because its worth a decent shot when you have made that much effort.
Stay positive guys - youll only know when YOU do it....
xxx Cath
Old Apr 23rd 2003, 9:22 am
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by walaj
I have only seen parts of the first 2 episodes and fully the one on Brisbane. It appears that they all seem to be filmed at the same time - ie they have been abroad over Xmas/NYE, which may go some way to explain lack of time the 'reallocater' put to each couple/family.

What enourmous amount of stress to go through in a 6 week period - 2 wks to pack everything in: job, house, seeing off family/friends

Most people have to give 1mth notice, my husband has to give 3mths for his job and that alone would be stressful enough to tie everything off, plus we have had several posts from people pulling their hair out (at least baldbutts has saved on a 'crack & sac' wax ) trying to sell their house before or even after they emigrate. Then all the things, others have mentioned upon their arrival in Oz.

I also notice that it was done by or in association with liquid news - don't they do entertainment (rather than documentaries)?

I agree. Most people won't be leaving within a 2 week period. It's too much to expect any one to cope with. As for going without any real money in the bank- no way!!! :scared:

I personally don't feel these programmes give a realistic view of emigrating.
Old Apr 24th 2003, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

I must admit, I though the programme was pretty cr$p.

I'd hoped for something that gave information on getting good flights, housing, cars etc. But the only thing they showed was the start of a school entrance interview. No facts on when kids can start schools etc.

Now we all can (and probably do) research our own requirements but I had assumed the programme was designed for people like us not the voyeuristic audience the most programmes are made for now.

I felt for the mullet man's (liked the bloke actually) wife. She'd was clearly less keen than her husband and forced into an emotionally untennable position by the programmes artifical leaving period of two weeks!

BTW, my knowledge of Brissie comes from my brother who has lived there for nearly 3 years. Totally loves the place and having spent some time with at his 5 bed house on 42 acres (yep 42) I can totally understand why. Has always said that if he couldn't live there it would have been Perth.

I've also visited the place but the wife's family in WA so it's Perth for us as soon as we can shift this bloody pile of bricks!!!

Too Uluru : Nice well reasoned comment. I appreciate you may think we're all wearing tinted specs but you clearly have no idea why people are trying to emmigrate. It's not all about the weather you know so try talking with you mouth rather than that which you should be sitting on.

Good luck to Donna and Chris, looks like you'll beat us!
Old Apr 24th 2003, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Jamesy is an unknown quantity at this point

What a welcome relief to read these posts, I felt very deflated (not wind!) after watching the program
Old Apr 24th 2003, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

The sad truth of it all is that television and especially the BBC is now run by accountants and not programme makers.

What was once a great institution (BBC) is now just a second rate programme maker.

Spent three years working at Beeb and it was an eye opener.
Old Apr 24th 2003, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Jamesy is an unknown quantity at this point

Think u r probably right (pssst I'm an Accountant, don't mention it to anyone!)
Old Apr 25th 2003, 12:24 am
Beyond Redemption

Snitzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately it's not make by accountants. I am one and my wife used to be a TV reseacher at the BBC making these sort of progams along with all the other luvvies and I can tell you they never even watch the thing because they thought it was beneath them and only for commoners.
Unlike my self who watches far too much and probably an expert by now.
This progam was just make for light entertainment rather then a documentry on how to emmigrate which is what everyone here wanted.
Old Apr 25th 2003, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

I've sussed it at last - I'll be a relocator - and get all my flights paid for!!

As far as I can tell, the programme's about putting unrealistic pressure on badly prepared (financially and emotionally) families, surfing a few pages of the internet, buying odds and ends, making facile suggestions and introductions, and turning up with an embarrassing family 'video' on a PC

The amazing thing to me is that anyone has opted to stay - I think there may be an element of 'spiting' the relocators, who for the sake of 'gripping television' seem to want the families to fail and come home.

If anyone believes the relocation process can be 'packaged' into 4 weeks is living in cloud cuckoo land. Most realists suggest it will take between 6 to 12 months (and much longer in some cases) after arrival to fully acclimatise.
Old Apr 25th 2003, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

)
Unfortunately it's not make by accountants. I am one and my wife used to be a TV reseacher at the BBC making these sort of progams along with all the other luvvies and I can tell you they never even watch the thing because they thought it was beneath them and only for commoners.

My post said the BBC is run by accountants not programme makers.

I did not say the programmes were made by accountants. !!

I worked for the Youth & Entertainment Features Dept under Janet Street-Porter (fun times) and then John Whiston.

Snitzy as you are an accountant you probably have no idea of the difference between the word run and made. !!

As for the luvvies comment you were spot on, I found 80 percent of researchers, producers, etc. "Luvvies" (the, we are in television brigade) I was in IT so considered to be riff raff.
Old Apr 25th 2003, 12:54 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Their Bloody Omnipotencenesses (tug forelock, bow grovellingly in sickening parody; flip the bird), PenUltimate Poms, Shiva's public servants' servants; Destroyer of Worlds' nancy boys. They sniff and the British commoners catch Dreamer's Disease.
Old Apr 25th 2003, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Megalania
Their Bloody Omnipotencenesses (tug forelock, bow grovellingly in sickening parody; flip the bird), PenUltimate Poms, Shiva's public servants' servants; Destroyer of Worlds' nancy boys. They sniff and the British commoners catch Dreamer's Disease.
You might be a little funnier if I knew what the F@&K you were talking about...?????
Old Apr 25th 2003, 3:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by uluru
of course its a true reflection of brisbane you numskulls it IS brisbane... look the sun doesnt shine out of the arse of oz like some of you posters here think you still gotta work and pay the bills and look after the kids GET REAL SOME OF YOU AND GET YOUR HEADS FROM UP YOUR ASS
OH FANKS FER DAT ULULRULU WE NEVER NEWED DAT WE FORT DAT FUDE WUZ FREE AN DAT U NIVER AD TO WURK
IVE CHANG ME MIND NOW AND AM NOY CUMIN TO OZTRAYLER

FANK U

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.