Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Agents: to use or not to use?!

Agents: to use or not to use?!

Old Jul 1st 2003, 1:29 am
Just Joined

pkdo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Agents: to use or not to use?!

Everybody seems to be using Agents to get their applications processed, is this compulsory or can you do it yourself? It doesn't seem that difficult.....obviously I'm in the early stages of the move, but would like to as much information as possible.

Thanks,

Paul.
Old Jul 1st 2003, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

'course you can DIY.

We have applied twice. First time we DIY'd and got knocked back.
Second time we used an agent and got in no problemo. I think it depends on your circumstances. Looking back, if I had put a bit more effort and research into our first appliction it would probably
have been a different story. The fact we had my rellies saying "Oh you'll get in - no worries, we did". clouded our judgement slightly and were too optimistic and easy going, we didn't really take it seriously.

Anyway, good luck
Diane
Old Jul 1st 2003, 5:34 am
Just Joined

Diane,

Thanks for the reply, glad to hear some good news about agents.
How much did they charge for the privilege? What did you 'fail' on the first time and how could you have doene it better with more planning? Sorry for being a nuisance but your experiences are invaluable to a potential expat.

Thanks,

Paul
Old Jul 1st 2003, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Can't remember how much they cost exactly. 'bout 1500 quid tops I think.

The reasons why we failed 1st time were (I think)....Hubby is a screenprinter with no trades qualifications or apprenticeship so we had to come up with job descriptions etc and also get statements from present and previous employers (as you still have to). Foolishly we didn't put much effort into presentation or detail and basically said "Yeah I'm a screenprinter, gimmee a visa NOW. His employers didn't come up with decent statments either.

This time I did loads of research into screenprinting (my wonderful hubby has difficulty stringing a sentence together, never mind writing an essay on screenprinting - love you really dear) and did the statments ourselves with the help of the agent on layout. We got the employers to sign them and verify they were true and correct.

What do you do for a living? Don't mind helping where I can cos we had loads of help and advice from folk and would have been stuck without it.

Diane
Old Jul 1st 2003, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Hi pkdo,

it's def poss to do it yourself as many posts on this site prove. I think you just need to read all the info you get sent through very carefully cos it's easy to trip up.

I used an agent and even though I think our application was pretty straightforward, I am a nurse and therefore high priority, our agent, Ian Harrop, gave us lots of valuable info that we wouldn't have been aware of otherwise, in terms of references and employment statements.

We paid approx £900 which also includes my husband.
If you want any more info on Ian Harrop let me know.
Old Jul 1st 2003, 12:02 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Bella
Hi pkdo,

it's def poss to do it yourself as many posts on this site prove. I think you just need to read all the info you get sent through very carefully cos it's easy to trip up.

I used an agent and even though I think our application was pretty straightforward, I am a nurse and therefore high priority, our agent, Ian Harrop, gave us lots of valuable info that we wouldn't have been aware of otherwise, in terms of references and employment statements.

Hi Bella,
Do you have some contact details for Ian Harrop, we are in the process of deciding which agent to use and he sounds very reseanable. We havve been given an estimate of £3000-£3500 by OEVisas and would appreciate any advice.
Many Thanks
Ace
Old Jul 1st 2003, 12:10 pm
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough

Hie we are using Concept Australia based in Kent, the only thing I would say is if you are a straight forward case then do it yourself, wish we had but didn't know about this site until after we had handed over our money, in total not including the fee to the DIMA its £900, they got us our TRA back and now just waiting for the forms to be done so we can sign them, they are good at what they do but a bit SLOWWWW, if you are a control freak like myself you will find it hard it all being down to sombody else to sort out but at the time we felt that we had not option but to go through an agency as everybody we knew did. But if you are not good a filling out forms and getting them altogether then its money well spent and a good agency will not take you on unless they think they can get you out there. Welcome to the site and good luck.
Old Jul 1st 2003, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Can't remember how much they cost exactly. 'bout 1500 quid tops I think.

The reasons why we failed 1st time were (I think)....Hubby is a screenprinter with no trades qualifications or apprenticeship so we had to come up with job descriptions etc and also get statements from present and previous employers (as you still have to). Foolishly we didn't put much effort into presentation or detail and basically said "Yeah I'm a screenprinter, gimmee a visa NOW. His employers didn't come up with decent statments either.

This time I did loads of research into screenprinting (my wonderful hubby has difficulty stringing a sentence together, never mind writing an essay on screenprinting - love you really dear) and did the statments ourselves with the help of the agent on layout. We got the employers to sign them and verify they were true and correct.

What do you do for a living? Don't mind helping where I can cos we had loads of help and advice from folk and would have been stuck without it.

Diane
Great stuff, thanks Diane. My wife is a Staff nurse, has been for 17 years, so is in demand, however she only works part-time at present since having our 2 children. I think this may be a problem as the authorities require that an applicant must work a minimum of 20 hrs/week for their skills to be accepted. Will take advice from a friendly agent on this to see if they can think of something.

For my part, I trained as an aircraft technician, but having left the RAF 13yrs ago, I've been employed as a Chemical Process Maintainer, so like your husband I think i'll have to 'spice it up a bit'.

Thanks again for the advice, I felt foolish posting on the expats site, but couldn't find a better one.

Paul
Old Jul 1st 2003, 12:16 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ACE
We havve been given an estimate of £3000-£3500 by OEVisas and would appreciate any advice.
£? That's not a small sum is it? Australian-based agents normally charge slightly more than half of that, and in A$ at that!

Peter
Old Jul 1st 2003, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by ACE
Hi Bella,
Do you have some contact details for Ian Harrop, we are in the process of deciding which agent to use and he sounds very reseanable. We havve been given an estimate of £3000-£3500 by OEVisas and would appreciate any advice.
Many Thanks
Ace
They have an office base in Oxfordshire (Burford) and in London (Wimbledon) and in Melbourne too I think.

01993 824111
www.ihaust.com
01993 824112 (fax)

They will give a telephone assessment so you know what your chances are. I have read lots of other posts on here about agents so if you want other recommendations or Ian Harrop's bases are too far from you, you could trawl through some back posts.
I agree that he is reasonable compared to some.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 10:28 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

They have an office base in Oxfordshire (Burford) and in London (Wimbledon) and in Melbourne too I think.

01993 824111
www.ihaust.com
01993 824112 (fax)

They will give a telephone assessment so you know what your chances are. I have read lots of other posts on here about agents so if you want other recommendations or Ian Harrop's bases are too far from you, you could trawl through some back posts.
I agree that he is reasonable compared to some.
Thanks Bella
Ace
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 11:41 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Paul, (and anyone else who might be thinking of using an agent)

Please feel able email me if you would like details of our fees and how we might help with your visa application, or if you would like me or one of my team to call you.

We have people in the UK and Australia, so we have both ends covered: we manage skilled visa applications from our Melbourne office once your application has been prepared by our people in the UK, which means that we receive correspondence from the Department of Immigration and can convey details/requests for more information to our clients straightaway, and several days earlier than would be the case if your agent only has an office in the UK.

Sales pitch over!

Best regards.

Originally posted by pkdo
Diane,

Thanks for the reply, glad to hear some good news about agents.
How much did they charge for the privilege? What did you 'fail' on the first time and how could you have doene it better with more planning? Sorry for being a nuisance but your experiences are invaluable to a potential expat.

Thanks,

Paul

Last edited by Alan Collett; Jul 2nd 2003 at 11:48 am.
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Linda Welch is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi pkdo,

Dear Bella
We are in early stages and would definately be interested in more info on Ian Harrop. My husband is a carpenter and joiner. also we have 3 kids and no time.
Regards
Linda Welch:scared:
Old Jul 2nd 2003, 5:51 pm
earlswood

pkdo,

As everyone else has mentioned so far, if your case is straight forward do it yourself!!

If there are complications then using an agent will save you an awful lot of worries. We are using George Lombard and he has been great so far and he charges a fraction of what you have been quoted so far.

http://www.austimmigration.co.au

If your going to diy read, read and then read gain as much info as possible from http://www.dimia.gov.au

Good luck

Earlswood

Old Jul 2nd 2003, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

Again, on the same theme, if your case is straightforward then skip the agent and save the money.

That said, in my case I was the primary applicant on an application covering my wife [whose Chinese andhas lived in three countries] and my baby daughter who has a genetic disorder. Even with these 'complications' we got our visas in the usual timespan, and at no point did I feel that an agent could have sped the process up. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't do it any differently.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.