Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Agents – Are They Worth the money

Agents – Are They Worth the money

Old Feb 22nd 2003, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

don't underestimate the importance of the tra assessment as this is the foundation of your applicatio

ie no TRA approval no skilled migration -what ever route you choose inde stni reg etc...

put in as much detail as possible especially if he hasn't got C&G TEC etc..

give a complete method statement of building a wall /house whatever -right down to how much water/cement mix for a particular type of wall and how to mix it..

think of it like this

if your husband wanted you to build a wall just by reading a report what would he need to write?
it's a lot more than "you get some bricks ,chuck some muck on them and stack them up"

i wrote 15 pages of how to fix different air conditioning and refrigeration systems etc

and i got a positive result within 3 weeks..

cheers

richard

basically you can't write too much (as long as it's right;-)
Old Feb 22nd 2003, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

HazelG is an unknown quantity at this point

agree with Richard
Andy has attended approximately 30 courses - most certificated - over his carreer, which we've had to describe the contents of in detail
caused a few rows along the way!!!
problem at moment is he worked for British Aerospace for 10+ years ( apprenticed there etc)
Now they're on verge of losing 1000 jobs in North West - is this the end of BAE systems up North & the end of any hope of a reference from them!!?
Old Feb 22nd 2003, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Awaiting TRA at the moment and all i can say is everything has to very basic.We listed every tool, what it is and what it does.
It took a lot longer than i had hoped but after daily double checks i felt confident when i eventually posted it.

We decided not to use an agent and for any one considering the same option all i can say is `RESEARCH,RESEARCH,RESEARCH` because i was learning something new all the time. The more knowledge you have the stronger you should be.

footie chick
Old Feb 22nd 2003, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

well bae should still give you a reference whatever..

however the only thing I'd wished I'd done (although i didn't need to in the end of course ;-) was actually scan some pictures of me working on said equipment and attach them to my stat dec.

if your husband is self employed he will probably have a van which may -or may not- have his name on it..if he has get pictures...

either way get a picture of him in his work clothes standing with his tool in his hand ;-) so they can see him at work/working

remember they want proof of his skills not a promotional brochure so nothing too fancy

anything that will convince them that he is what you say he is..

they are not out to trip you up
but weed out those who think they can con them into giving them a tra approval as a way in to australia....

fyi
I had my skills pre-assessed by an ex tra approver in order to stop the worry about if it was 'up to scratch'

he was fantastic -he went right through and found things that i'd missed ...

like one of my references' letter wasn't dated when it was written..
(but had all the relevent dates on regarding my work etc) ..
a lot of sucking in and hmmm's on that one..!!

little things like that really do make a difference..
they are really really picky...

cheers

richard
Old Feb 22nd 2003, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for info Richard
we're having the skills assessment done via our agent so hopefully everything will be covered
we contacted bae back in Dec re the reference & have chased them again this week.
just concerned that those we've been speaking to are more concerned about their own future!!! (& rightly so??!!!!)
Old Feb 22nd 2003, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

Richard - are you going to adelaide on STNI?
if so, what are your experiences????

Hazel
Old Feb 22nd 2003, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by r.bartlett
well bae should still give you a reference whatever..

however the only thing I'd wished I'd done (although i didn't need to in the end of course ;-) was actually scan some pictures of me working on said equipment and attach them to my stat dec.

if your husband is self employed he will probably have a van which may -or may not- have his name on it..if he has get pictures...

either way get a picture of him in his work clothes standing with his tool in his hand ;-)

Andy says those pictures are for my eyes only!!!!

so they can see him at work/working

remember they want proof of his skills not a promotional brochure so nothing too fancy

anything that will convince them that he is what you say he is..

they are not out to trip you up
but weed out those who think they can con them into giving them a tra approval as a way in to australia....

fyi
I had my skills pre-assessed by an ex tra approver in order to stop the worry about if it was 'up to scratch'

he was fantastic -he went right through and found things that i'd missed ...

like one of my references' letter wasn't dated when it was written..
(but had all the relevent dates on regarding my work etc) ..
a lot of sucking in and hmmm's on that one..!!

little things like that really do make a difference..
they are really really picky...

cheers

richard
Old Feb 23rd 2003, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

hi hazel

yes i'm now just in the process of applying for stni to south australia..

I've sent off some emails to their imigration dept and had a few back to outlining the way it works..
i sent my c.v on friday which will at least allow them to see my 'worth' and start the assessment as to our suitability

I have an email form them if you send me a email address i can copy it to you..

I haven't seen anyone else trying stni to adelaide on here so I don't know how it proceeds fom here..

however my agent has said
"get your medicals and police checks done now so we can frontload the application (which i have ;-)
as once the ball starts rolling it goes at a fair lick.."

we did want to go nowish but my xray put a dampner on that so we will clear up all the mess here first

if approved we shall go to australia and have a month in and around adelaide...and go to validate our visa and reccy then too..

cheers

richard
Old Feb 23rd 2003, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Richard
we're also going to go for STNI
our agent sent Andy's cv to them just before Christmas, but they said they wanted to see a positive skills assessment before they'd make a decision.

hope you get your xray 'problem' sorted out
please let us know how you get on on your reccy!!

thanx Hazel

ps - are you planning to use the meet & greet service when you emigrate??
Old Mar 5th 2003, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

ianwood is an unknown quantity at this point

We must be up there with the most expensive migration agent ever award. The MIGRATION BUREAU quoted us £1400 to £1900. In the end we have paid them £2600 not including the letters and phone calls or the charges we refused to paywich would have brought the total to around £5000. We have forked out £3500 discounting the charges from Australia House.

Beat that if you can.
Old Mar 5th 2003, 11:48 pm
Ex Mod (2002-2005)

ptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond reputeptlabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ianwood
Beat that if you can.
I doubt if anyone wants to!

At least you've gotten your visas (IIRC)

Peter
Old Mar 6th 2003, 1:12 am
Just Joined

SteveB_in_oz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Agents – Are They Worth the money

[QUOTE]Originally posted by emmaizzy
Anyone tell me what they think or recommend anyone and also how much!!!

Hi, I'm out here with my sister and trying to get my parents out (some legislation was passed today which should make that process a whole lot quicker!!)....

Just wanted to say that Alan Collett of Go Matilda is fantastic.....I feel guilty because he's answered quite a few questions of mine and has not asked for a penny from us....so the least I can do at this stage is give Go Matilda some good advertising in return.

Alan is as knowledgable as you can get...and reasonably priced with it - you don't need to look any further in my opinion.

If we do need to pay for an agent in the future (which may be the case) I wouldn't hesitate to go straight to Alan.......