Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Agent - OzMigrate

Agent - OzMigrate

Old Aug 24th 2002, 9:50 am
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Agent - OzMigrate

When the time arrives to do the deed, being bone-idle and adminophobic (good word that) we're probably going to use an agent.

We had a skills assessment with OzMigrate - very positive, chap was clearly well up to speed with his subject and not in the least a pushy salesman. He pointed out that I'd do well to swallow my natural male chauvinist piggery and apply as a spouse with the missus as primary applicant (she's a nurse - I'm a keyboard slave, albeit with the right ticks in boxes for STNI).

Anyway - before we commit to spending lots of dosh and in view of the problems enountered by some posters here about reducing service levels after the passing of cash (notably Mr B. Butts, another inmate, I notice of the crowded county of Kent). I thought I'd ask around if anyone else had any experience of this company (good or bad).

Please feel free to email me directly if you don't want libelous comments to appear on forum.

Ta

Perry
Old Aug 24th 2002, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Agent - OzMigrate

Originally posted by kentcoast:
When the time arrives to do the deed, being bone-idle and adminophobic (good word that) we're probably going to use an agent.

We had a skills assessment with OzMigrate - very positive, chap was clearly well up to speed with his subject and not in the least a pushy salesman. He pointed out that I'd do well to swallow my natural male chauvinist piggery and apply as a spouse with the missus as primary applicant (she's a nurse - I'm a keyboard slave, albeit with the right ticks in boxes for STNI).

Anyway - before we commit to spending lots of dosh and in view of the problems enountered by some posters here about reducing service levels after the passing of cash (notably Mr B. Butts, another inmate, I notice of the crowded county of Kent). I thought I'd ask around if anyone else had any experience of this company (good or bad).

Please feel free to email me directly if you don't want libelous comments to appear on forum.

Ta

Perry
Hello there,

I've just been browsing and came across your message. My hubby and I are both nurses although I've gone through on PR as the main applicant (due to age). We have gone through every stage ourselves (saved some dosh!) and didn't find it that difficult. If we can be of any assistance then just ask.

Regrads

Ginny
Old Aug 24th 2002, 5:47 pm
We arrived november 2004

Originally posted by Ginny:
My hubby and I are both nurses although I've gone through on PR as the main applicant (due to age)
Hi Ginny,

I'm going to have to get a seperate account for Sarah (that's Mrs Coast) she's got loads of questions - agencies, state regstration etc.

I have unreserved admiration for your other half though... I did my training 79-82 at the Brook in London. I loved the job but back then one of us had to get a job that could pay the rent. I left in 84 and went from running a 36 bedded acute surgical ward on 12 hr nights to Police training college (that's another story) and doubled my wages.

Anyway - glad to hear that you found the paperwork to be straightforward - I'm beginning to think that we should start things ourselves and only call for the pro's if things seem too complex

Cheers

Perry
Old Aug 24th 2002, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Ginny,

I'm going to have to get a seperate account for Sarah (that's Mrs Coast) she's got loads of questions - agencies, state regstration etc.

I have unreserved admiration for your other half though... I did my training 79-82 at the Brook in London. I loved the job but back then one of us had to get a job that could pay the rent. I left in 84 and went from running a 36 bedded acute surgical ward on 12 hr nights to Police training college (that's another story) and doubled my wages.

Anyway - glad to hear that you found the paperwork to be straightforward - I'm beginning to think that we should start things ourselves and only call for the pro's if things seem too complex

Cheers

Perry
Hello again,

Feel free to question away. Like you guys I'm also trying to get out of the nursing rat race. Two nurses, one household, does not pay the bills! I'm currently trying to juggle family life, two kids under five, being a full time IT student and nursing part time (couple 12hr shifts a week) so life's a bit hectic at the moment. If there's anything we can do let us know.

Regards Ginny

:PARTY:
Old Aug 24th 2002, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

bevo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Perry

We didn't use an agent and providing you can gather up all the information yourself its a doddle really. The way we saw it was that even with an agent we still would have had to collate everything together so why pay him to do it.

Somebody gave us some advise which was that an agent knows how to present the case - in other words make sure its all in order, understandable and presentable and you will be fine.

Keri
Old Aug 24th 2002, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

micky will become famous soon enoughmicky will become famous soon enough

hi,
I'm a nurse also and we applied as me as the main applicant. Michael younger but my job being fast tracked.
We didn't use any agents and have had no problems whatsoever.
Applied Oct 2001, London, and have just sent off our medicals as requested.
Shona x
Old Aug 24th 2002, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by bevo:
Hello Perry

We didn't use an agent and providing you can gather up all the information yourself its a doddle really. The way we saw it was that even with an agent we still would have had to collate everything together so why pay him to do it.

Somebody gave us some advise which was that an agent knows how to present the case - in other words make sure its all in order, understandable and presentable and you will be fine.

Keri
They definately seem to fast tracking nurses. We applied to London in October 2001 as well and were asked for our medicals at the begining of August. All in all about eight months. We got my qualifications assessed a while back (Never bothered with Les due to money) and it cost around £250. Had enough points and some so sent of our dosh and application to London (In the days you could). Needed to get all the references from previous nursing employment. Didn't keep the originals from when I got my qualifications assessed(big mistake!). We went to our local council and got a Justice of Peace to certify the photocopies which didn't cost us a penny. The dearest thing was getting the medicals done. £450 all in all for me, Les and the two kids.
So it is definately worth doing it yourself and it hopefully shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Regards

Ginny
Old Aug 25th 2002, 9:25 am
We arrived november 2004

So it is definately worth doing it yourself and it hopefully shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

Regards

Ginny
Thanks all,

Very grateful for the comments, tell me though as Sarah (Mrs KC) is certainly going to ask when she reads this later - what's involved in assessment? S is an RN 20+ years in public and private sector currently back in the NHS and studying for her diploma (should have it by time of application barring disasters...). Who does the assessment and what do they want to know?

Cheers

Perry
Old Aug 25th 2002, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks all,

Very grateful for the comments, tell me though as Sarah (Mrs KC) is certainly going to ask when she reads this later - what's involved in assessment? S is an RN 20+ years in public and private sector currently back in the NHS and studying for her diploma (should have it by time of application barring disasters...). Who does the assessment and what do they want to know?

Cheers

Perry
Hello there,

At the time of me applying for my skills assessment I sent all my references (certified copies!) to the Australian Nursing Council along with a check for £250. They processed this which at the time took only about 3 weeks and sent me a letter back say that I had all the relevant things and that I had passed my skills assessment.

Because it was a little while back I'll need to look out my exact stuff but will post the info when I find it. When it was time to apply for our PR to prove I had relevant skills I sent my letter along with the application.

Hope this helps a little. Will give you more info when I find it.

Regards

Ginny
Old Aug 25th 2002, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

SuzeM is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone
I'm a nurse too and found that once I had got the Australian Nurses Council approval they were very helpful when I requested that they forward the documentation to the state registration board, in my case NSW. This meant I didn't have to duplicate the UKCC/NMC and other references, as well as pay all the fees again, and now I'm registered and ready to work..............whenever AHC actually get round to giving us a visa.
Sue
Old Aug 25th 2002, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by SueandIan:
Hi everyone
I'm a nurse too and found that once I had got the Australian Nurses Council approval they were very helpful when I requested that they forward the documentation to the state registration board, in my case NSW. This meant I didn't have to duplicate the UKCC/NMC and other references, as well as pay all the fees again, and now I'm registered and ready to work..............whenever AHC actually get round to giving us a visa.
Sue
Hi Sue,

I never new you could do that. I'll be onto the ANC and see if they'll be able to do the same. Saves a lot of hassle.

I've also got an address for the Australian Nursing Council Inc.
ANCI
PO Box 873
Dickson ACT 2602
Australia

Telephone 61+2+6257 7960
Email [email protected]
Web www.anci.org.au

Hope this helps

Ginny
Old Aug 25th 2002, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

susmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sue,

I never new you could do that. I'll be onto the ANC and see if they'll be able to do the same. Saves a lot of hassle.

I've also got an address for the Australian Nursing Council Inc.
ANCI
PO Box 873
Dickson ACT 2602
Australia

Telephone 61+2+6257 7960
Email [email protected]
Web www.anci.org.au

Hope this helps

Ginny

Hi
I submitted my application to Adelaide on 5th july 2002 got asked for mrdicals and police clearance on the 5th of august. Meantime I applied and got QLD registration I just downloaded the forms from the QNC site and sent off what they required plus asked the ANCI to forward my file to them, and had the registration within a month
Susan