British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   IT Agency's Brisbane (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/agencys-brisbane-402482/)

jonsm Oct 16th 2006 10:06 am

IT Agency's Brisbane

Hi Guys

Do any of you know any good IT Agency’s to register with in the Brisbane area? I'm current in Data Storage, (SAN Virtualization, Backup etc etc)

We flying out tomorrow to activate our Visa and have a few weeks break, and I would like to send me CV’s off to them.

Thanks for any reply’s

Regards

Jon

Greg, Michele and Bella Oct 16th 2006 10:43 am

Re: IT Agency's Brisbane

Originally Posted by jonsm
Hi Guys

Do any of you know any good IT Agency’s to register with in the Brisbane area? I'm current in Data Storage, (SAN Virtualization, Backup etc etc)

We flying out tomorrow to activate our Visa and have a few weeks break, and I would like to send me CV’s off to them.

Thanks for any reply’s

Regards

Jon

Hi Jon,

To be honest every agency, bar one, I have had anything to do with have been shite. My plan was to arrange appointments with them and then do the rounds one day. However, I was told that I couldn't make an appointment without submitting my cv which would would themn be passed to the relevant person. Out of about a dozen I have had one reply.

My background is different to yours in that I have been working in more of a system admin role for enterprise applications, but my feeling is that you can pretty much guarantee that you will be ignored before you are here and availble for work, and when you arrive it is pot luck - if they are looking for someone that day you may get a call. I have found myself looking largely at Queensland Government jobs

Sorry I can't be more positive. I don't think it is any better or worse than the UK, but it appears that you can't even try and be proactive and get in front of people.

jonsm Oct 16th 2006 10:47 am

Hi Greg

thought as much but no harm in trying. My brother is working for telstra at the moment, hes keeping an eye out for me there.

how long you guys been out there

jon

Greg, Michele and Bella Oct 16th 2006 10:57 am

Hi Greg

thought as much but no harm in trying. My brother is working for telstra at the moment, hes keeping an eye out for me there.

how long you guys been out there

jon

About 6 weeks now and looking for work seriously for about 4 weeks.

There appears to be quite a bit of the stuff I do with Queensland Government and Brisbane City Council, but being public sector, it moves very slowly. I know in the UK that agencies are poor, but here, they don't even pretend to be doing a service for you. It may not be a surprise that the only person who has got back to me so far was originally from Bradford!

JaneandJim Oct 16th 2006 11:02 am

Hi Guys

Thanks for any reply’s

Regards

Jon

Jim got a job within a week of applying to Candle with QLD government, but, to be honest, I doubt they'll be interested in you until you've moved out here permanently.

Jane :)

hoofie2002 Oct 16th 2006 1:08 pm

You can send your CV to them, but they won't do anything with it until they speak to you in person, check your references and sight your visa. Most of the jobs require a permanent visa anyway. If you are leaving after a few weeks, again they won't touch you unless you are in country and 'ready to go'.

My advice would be to contact a few, send your CV, when you will be available etc etc etc. Then when you arrive for good, start the ball rolling. I'm a J2EE developer. I landed on the Friday, saw the agency on Monday, interview on tuesday and had my first contract for 3 months on Wed. So far my contract has been extended up to a year [I chose contract work rather than permie].

The agent at the time pointed out that UK etc experience wasn't the point - it was how long you had been in Oz. Apparently a lot of people come over, get a job and then dissapear after a while. You may have to take something less suitable until you get a track record.

I don't know of any agencies in Brisbane unfortunately, only the other major cities.

Hi Guys

Thanks for any reply’s

Regards

Jon

JaneandJim Oct 16th 2006 11:50 pm

[QUOTE=hoofie2002]
The agent at the time pointed out that UK etc experience wasn't the point - it was how long you had been in Oz. Apparently a lot of people come over, get a job and then dissapear after a while. You may have to take something less suitable until you get a track record.

[QUOTE]

You'd been in Oz 4 days and got the job because your UK experience was the right experience. The agent was obviously talking out of his backside!

Jane :)