Reload this Page >

IT Agency Recommedations for Melbourne Area

IT Agency Recommedations for Melbourne Area

Old May 27th 2007, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

jimbono05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IT Agency Recommedations for Melbourne Area

Hi All,

Does anyone have a good recommendations for IT agencies in the Melbourne area?

I'm trying for sponsorship and thought I'd contact some agencies in that area for advice.

Thanks in advance,

Jim
Old May 28th 2007, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

chmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: IT Agency Recommedations for Melbourne Area

Originally Posted by jimbono05
Hi All,

Does anyone have a good recommendations for IT agencies in the Melbourne area?

I'm trying for sponsorship and thought I'd contact some agencies in that area for advice.

Thanks in advance,

Jim
me too - am a snr project manager looking in the melbourne area - visa to come through in next week or so fingers crossed!
Old May 28th 2007, 2:01 pm

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Hays or Hudson?

Good Luck!
Old May 28th 2007, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

jimbono05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi chmaiden,

How did you get your visa...what field of IT are you in?

I'm searching for sponsorship because I don't quite make up enough points for a visa. 115pts now and will still be on 115 points after 1st September.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

[Carmele...thanks for the pointers...I'll take a look]
Old May 28th 2007, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

chmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by jimbono05
Hi chmaiden,

How did you get your visa...what field of IT are you in?

I'm searching for sponsorship because I don't quite make up enough points for a visa. 115pts now and will still be on 115 points after 1st September.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

[Carmele...thanks for the pointers...I'll take a look]
hi mate
financial software/trading etc pm. bit the bullet and got the extra 5pts with the state investment bond
Old May 28th 2007, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

Hi

Financial software? Well tow major banks, NAB and ANZ have their IT operations in Melbourne CBD, and global financial software company DST has an IT operation on St. Kilda Road.

The banks tend to use agencies rather than direct applicants. NAB uses four. Oakden, Paxus...can't remember the other two. Michael Page & Hudson are worth checking out too.

What technical skills do you have?

Neil
Old May 28th 2007, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wongstonn
Hi

Financial software? Well tow major banks, NAB and ANZ have their IT operations in Melbourne CBD, and global financial software company DST has an IT operation on St. Kilda Road.

The banks tend to use agencies rather than direct applicants. NAB uses four. Oakden, Paxus...can't remember the other two. Michael Page & Hudson are worth checking out too.

What technical skills do you have?

Neil
cheers for that mate - just a case of getting in with the agencies on the PSL now!

used to be an analyst programmer a long time ago, then spent a few years as a BA, then the rest in project management - derivatives, asset management, banking, and now insurance
Old May 29th 2007, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

CGU are recruiting too, they are on the north side of the CBD.

Other insurers in town with IT operations are: Colonial, AXA, Medibank, AIG.
Old May 29th 2007, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

CGU are recruiting too, they are on the north side of the CBD.

Other insurers in town with IT operations are: Colonial, AXA, Medibank, AIG.
cheers guys
what are the chances of getting 1st rnd interviews on the phone/video do you think??
Old May 29th 2007, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

In short, low.

I've been both sides of the fence. Agencies were a complete pain the backside when applying for jobs. My perception at the time was that you'd have to apply then almost immediately ring the agent who invariably had not read the resume. I'd be ready with my 'pitch'. If I was lucky then I'd get an 'arms and legs' interview from the agent who'd decide on that basis whether they'd actually give me resume to an employer. I vaguely recall that being a Prince2 practitioner was a big help. PMI and ITIL would certainly help too.

Nowadays I'm occassionally on the recruiting side - for NAB. I must use certain agencies who...of course...are very nice to me.

I've never spoken about this subject overtly to my colleagues but I suspect they are the same as me. There are PMs over here already. Who would you spend your time interviewing? Personally I'd deal with the ones here.

Neil

Last edited by wongstonn; May 29th 2007 at 10:14 am.
Old May 29th 2007, 10:41 am
Just Joined

mervbeng is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to agree with previous post. I came here in Oct 05 with PR visa and tried for months before I arrived to set up tele / video interviews. No-one was interested as face to face is clearly the best. However once I arrived there were jobs a plenty. It really is boom time now in Melbourne, there are so many large project but not enough decent staff to do the work.
I wam currently an IT consultant in a Programme Management role for Telstra (BT equivalent) and personally I'm short of 2 PMs. My company is currently looking for good people so if you have a strong IT background particularly in consultancy, PM or Programme management please get in touch. The majority of staff as recuited on referal system, so if anyone has is interested I am happy to met with you when you arrive and run through your resume , if I think you would fit well in the organisation then I will put you forward for 1st interview. They are called SMS and website is SMSMT.COM.AU and if you get through the 4 stage interview at the moment you will be straight out on site, after a weeks induction of course.

Can I also recommend this service www.advance-yourself.com.au. I used them to fix my cv up to Australian standards, my wife do also. The feedback I got was fantastic and I really think it helped to get me a lot of interviews. It cost about $300 but is money very well spent. At the minute you can make that in a few hours as a consultant. $1000 + a day is the going rate for good PMs
Old May 29th 2007, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Telstra! You're not on that project are you?
Old May 29th 2007, 11:38 am
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

What a great thread.

We land in 9 weeks with a PR visa and I've been badgering my OH to start applying for jobs asap but he keeps telling me it's too soon. From what I've read here, that seems to be accurate.

OH is a senior PM with programme mgt, technical, infrastructure, fin svs (insurance and asset management) skills.

I think I'll get him to pop his head onto here tonight.

cheers guys

Gill
Old May 29th 2007, 11:55 am
Just Joined

Gill

Put him in touch he sounds ideal and being from Scotland even better! We migrated from Edinburgh 2 years ago with Zero regrets. This is an amazing city to live, work and play in. It was bit strange today however is it rained for most of afternoon, it reminded me why we moved here in the first place - to get away from the dready dark days!

Originally Posted by herrchook
What a great thread.

We land in 9 weeks with a PR visa and I've been badgering my OH to start applying for jobs asap but he keeps telling me it's too soon. From what I've read here, that seems to be accurate.

OH is a senior PM with programme mgt, technical, infrastructure, fin svs (insurance and asset management) skills.

I think I'll get him to pop his head onto here tonight.

cheers guys

Gill
Old May 29th 2007, 11:58 am
Just Joined

Telstra! You're not on that project are you?
Oh yes that crazy transforming one. It is certainly interesting and I have learnt a lot on how not to do projects!. I am moving off it in a few weeks to new industry completely. I think however it will take a few months to get rid of the scars as I am currently have 3 very angry, frustrated and stuggling Telstra BA with 20-30 years service each work as part of my programme - you can imagine the type!

Last edited by mervbeng; May 29th 2007 at 12:03 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.