Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Aged Parent Pension

Aged Parent Pension

Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

KatiesGirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Aged Parent Pension

I am nearly 70 and hope to come out to Australia on an aged parent visa, as my UK pension will be frozen,(I will be applying in Australia for visa) do I get a Australian pension 11 years after visa application or 11 years after visa granted (another 11 years?)
KatiesGirl
Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Aged Parent Pension

Originally Posted by KatiesGirl
I am nearly 70 and hope to come out to Australia on an aged parent visa, as my UK pension will be frozen,(I will be applying in Australia for visa) do I get a Australian pension 11 years after visa application or 11 years after visa granted (another 11 years?)
KatiesGirl
I'll move your post to the main forum, several financially savvy people in there
Old Sep 15th 2010, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Hi Katiesgirl

As I understand it you are not entitled to claim for the Australian pension until 10 years after you have been granted a permanent visa.

However, this is not like he UK state pension. The Australian pension is means tested and so the amount of your UK pension will be deducted from this, I think.

This may be an oversimplified explanation and there are lots of financial savvy people on here who may be able to offer a better insight.
Old Sep 16th 2010, 1:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
Hi Katiesgirl

As I understand it you are not entitled to claim for the Australian pension until 10 years after you have been granted a permanent visa.

However, this is not like he UK state pension. The Australian pension is means tested and so the amount of your UK pension will be deducted from this, I think.

This may be an oversimplified explanation and there are lots of financial savvy people on here who may be able to offer a better insight.
10 years residence in Australia as an Australian citizen/PR.
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne..._residence.htm
Old Sep 17th 2010, 4:26 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Also an assurance of support will be needed for 10 years (for 864 visa or 2 years for an 804) to cover these payments.

The assurer must be prepared to:
- provide financial assistance to the applicant and the applicant's accompanying partner and dependent family members so they do not need to rely on any government forms of support for ten (10) years
- repay any recoverable social security payments made to the applicant or their accompanying partner and dependants in the first ten (10) years of residency in Australia.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 11:20 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveandLinda
Hi Katiesgirl

Absolutely right and its quite complex but basically if you have sufficient assets/cash you get nothing, then sliding scale down to everything.
I did t for my mum and the paperwork involved was not easy ny any stretch but well worth it in the end.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

KatiesGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that, it is very complicated..
Can I ask another question?....does anyone know if my English pension will be frozen while I am waiting for the Visa to be granted (Non contributory, while staying in Australia) while still English citizen?...
Old Sep 26th 2010, 10:28 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Thanks for that, it is very complicated..
Can I ask another question?....does anyone know if my English pension will be frozen while I am waiting for the Visa to be granted (Non contributory, while staying in Australia) while still English citizen?...
No, only when you cease becoming a UK tax resident does your pension freeze. Until that date it will still be indexed. You need to inform the tax office when you leave of your new address to send you the money so thats when it all happens.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 10:46 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Also, be aware that if you are also getting a company pension, some of that may be frozen as well (the minimum guarantee part, if the company was contracted out.)

As one Gordon Brown said, at about the same time as refusing to contemplate unfreezing the pensions, :

>>What is morally wrong cannot be economically right<<
Old Sep 26th 2010, 11:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I am nearly 70 and hope to come out to Australia on an aged parent visa, as my UK pension will be frozen,(I will be applying in Australia for visa)
Are you seriously telling us you're going to uproot with no assurance of a visa being granted? Do you also know you are breaking the law if you arrive as a tourist with an intention to switch to another visa? (and you WILL be asked).
Old Sep 27th 2010, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mark213
No, only when you cease becoming a UK tax resident does your pension freeze. Until that date it will still be indexed. You need to inform the tax office when you leave of your new address to send you the money so thats when it all happens.
If she leaves the UK indefinitely then she will cease to be UK tax resident and the pension will be frozen. Visa status and tax status are not the same thing.

OP have you taken professional advice on this move? As JAJ has mentioned, you are not allowed to come to Australia for the sole purpose of applying for an Aged Parent Visa, so if you arrive with all your wordly goods them immigration would get suspicious.

If you do get through immigration and then apply for the Aged Parent visa whilst on your tourist visa you would be on a bridging visa for up to ten years whilst you wait for the Parent Visa to be processed. If you need to worry about UK state pension indexing then I would also be worried about healthcare costs, you will only be entitled to the basic reciprocal health cover anything else you will need to fund yourself.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 5:34 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>If she leaves the UK indefinitely then she will cease to be UK tax resident and the pension will be frozen. Visa status and tax status are not the same thing.<<

Not necessarily correct, without qualifications: if she moved to say the USA then her pension would not be frozen. I suppose tax residency would be assumed on application for a TFN with proof of legal residency.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

I always get confused about this Aged Pension Visa. If you can only apply for it onshore (which is my understanding) then the person must have entered on a Tourist visa of some description. If DIAC don't want this to happen why do they even offer the visa in the first place. I've never been able to work out who it is intended for, but then I am of simple mind Can anyone enlighten me, but I've always puzzled over this one.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:26 am
Back to WA! Yay!

Originally Posted by Smartinis
I always get confused about this Aged Pension Visa. If you can only apply for it onshore (which is my understanding) then the person must have entered on a Tourist visa of some description. If DIAC don't want this to happen why do they even offer the visa in the first place. I've never been able to work out who it is intended for, but then I am of simple mind Can anyone enlighten me, but I've always puzzled over this one.
Aged Parent Visa. You enter on visa i.e. ETA in to Aus and prior to the expiry of the ETA visa you lodge a Aged Parent Visa application onshore (either contributory or otherwise). You will get a Bridging Visa to remain in Australia whilst the visa is granted so long as:
- they meet the aged test, balance of family etc.
- the sponsor (ie child) is valid and meets the 2 year residency period (usually) before sponsoring
- have entered Australian on a visa which does not have a condition which would prevent the applicant from making further visa applications in Australia (ie no further stay condition 8503).

Note bridging visas (classes A,C,D,E) do not allow the applicant to leave the country. Bridging visa B is only granted for short terms and only allows travel if you are on a Bridging A visa class and have substantial reasons to travel. But you must return by the date specified. (a holiday is not a substantial reason!)
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:50 am
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by mark213
Aged Parent Visa. You enter on visa i.e. ETA in to Aus and prior to the expiry of the ETA visa you lodge a Aged Parent Visa application onshore (either contributory or otherwise). You will get a Bridging Visa to remain in Australia
If you arrive as a tourist with the intention to remain you can be refused entry and put on the next plane home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.