Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Age shall not wither them...

Age shall not wither them...

Old Feb 27th 2004, 6:08 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Age shall not wither them...

Uh-oh, read the various posts in the last few days & get the distinct impression that the over-40s are considered rather unwelcome in Oz!!!!

It's a bit like that feeling of women over 25 & dress size 10 becoming invisible

But seriously, I'm concerned that Oz is coming out as being as ageist as the UK, whereas I'd seen it as sitting somewhere between the UK & the US (ie not totally un-ageist but a lot more sensible about it than in the UK, where once over 35 you are *finished*, esp if in the IT business) .

Geez. We are both (shock horror) over 40. Now I'm beginning to wonder if we should emigrate to Japan instead (where my Dad, in his 80s, is considered totally cool & still earns loads of dosh working as a consultant).

Any other old wrecks out there who have managed stagger off their Zimmer frames & get work in Oz? Please, post your success stories here..... we need you....

Anya.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 7:13 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Age shall not wither them...

Originally posted by anya4oz
Uh-oh, read the various posts in the last few days & get the distinct impression that the over-40s are considered rather unwelcome in Oz!!!!

It's a bit like that feeling of women over 25 & dress size 10 becoming invisible

But seriously, I'm concerned that Oz is coming out as being as ageist as the UK, whereas I'd seen it as sitting somewhere between the UK & the US (ie not totally un-ageist but a lot more sensible about it than in the UK, where once over 35 you are *finished*, esp if in the IT business) .

Geez. We are both (shock horror) over 40. Now I'm beginning to wonder if we should emigrate to Japan instead (where my Dad, in his 80s, is considered totally cool & still earns loads of dosh working as a consultant).

Any other old wrecks out there who have managed stagger off their Zimmer frames & get work in Oz? Please, post your success stories here..... we need you....

Anya.
Everything will be fine as long as you remember that every Tuesday is Soylent Green day, and you avoid suburbs called "Logan's Run".
Old Feb 27th 2004, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Anya.
There is hope...sort of I was contracting in Oz until age 43, then went to Europe to work (valued in UK, but not here). However, coming back it has been much harder. Is this because of my age or stint in Europe or just me ? Dunno.

I think both UK and Oz are ageist. Also many over 40s have held senior positions - there are just fewer of these positions around - so it's very competitive.

I don't hold out any hope of getting a permanent job again - just a set of contracts (hopefully!). But this is the way a lot of work is going - for over and under 40s.

With luck, I'll still be around when there is a shortage due to shrinking western populations - oh, unless my work (IT in financial services) has been totally outsourced to India/China/Rusiia...

Last edited by MikeStanton; Feb 27th 2004 at 7:45 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 7:52 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by MikeStanton
I think both UK and Oz are ageist (I'm also over 40). Also many over 40s have held senior positions - there are just fewer of these positions around - so it's very competitive.

I don't hold out any hope of getting a permanent job again - just a set of contracts (hopefully!). But this is the way a lot of work is going - for over and under 40s.

With luck, I'll still be around when there is a shortage due to shrinking western populations - oh, unless my work (IT in financial services) has been totally outsourced to India/China/Rusiia...
The age thing is really annoying for me, having worked in the US where it really isn't an issue. I used to go drinking with a fun group of people from work whose ages ranged from about 20 to 68!

Actually I *like* doing contract work - especially the opportunity to go in, focus on doing a good job & not get too tied up in all the petty politics

I'm in the banking side of IT, too - has been a really rubbish job market here in the UK (and in NY where I'd also been working) for the last 2 years, though it's picking up now in The City. Luckily, my skills transfered across to all the public sector stuff that's been about, which keeps me occupied - not as much fun though.

What's the IT contract market like in Sydney at the mo? I'm going to Melbourne & the market seems to be waking up a *little* there... slowly.... fingers X'd...

Anya.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

The age thing is really annoying for me, having worked in the US where it really isn't an issue. I used to go drinking with a fun group of people from work whose ages ranged from about 20 to 68!

Actually I *like* doing contract work - especially the opportunity to go in, focus on doing a good job & not get too tied up in all the petty politics

I'm in the banking side of IT, too - has been a really rubbish job market here in the UK (and in NY where I'd also been working) for the last 2 years, though it's picking up now in The City. Luckily, my skills transfered across to all the public sector stuff that's been about, which keeps me occupied - not as much fun though.

What's the IT contract market like in Sydney at the mo? I'm going to Melbourne & the market seems to be waking up a *little* there... slowly.... fingers X'd...

Anya.
Depends what you do. Last week I saw a couple of contract jobs for project managers (Sydney) in funds management, investment banking. Rate is ~$A700/day (~GBP 230/day) - but, they're being pretty picky re:skills. In Melbourne, expect ~same, perhaps 10% less on rates. Cost of living in Sydney and Melbourne is a bit cheaper than S.E. England (comparable to Cambridge...maybe??!)

A Sydney agent said to me that the market has started to pick-up over the last 3 months or so (similar to UK, I think).

Best job sites are: www.seek.com.au and www.jobnet.com.au
Old Feb 27th 2004, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Bit puzzled at this age thing. Firstly we were not looking for jobs in the UK, but it was in your face all the time that employers would take on older people. As in ads for police, teachers, bus drivers, nurses, and on and on or is that just being PC? We thought it was very open minded with age compared to OZ.

Trouble with OZ is there is not the volume of jobs there is in the UK, you can get 200 people apply for a simple office job so you can get a highly skilled young person at a low wage quite easily.

However myself I might employ a middle aged woman because I can see advantages. Her kids might be grown up, she may be past the age where shes going to run off to marry and get preganant. Same with older men, a bloke with a family here is going to need a job so often they will work like the devil to keep it. So surely for someone looking for a job its about selling yourself on why at 40 you are an advantage to the employer.

Trouble with OZ in my mind is people seem very Old early on. I'm 41 this year, I do not feel remotely old, yet we know hundreds of people our age, who are blabbin about finding somewhere quieter to live, dreaming of the retirement holiday, looking for houses without stairs!! is a big one here, because aussies do seem to think 40 is OLD. To me its bizzare. I mean sure they look older because of the sun damage, but suely that cant age your brain and mentality

If I was coming here at any age, my advice would be why are so many looking for jobs, start your own! Its really not that difficult.
If your looking for a job, have qualifications that are OZ certified, they want 10 bits of paper to go do anything here, I cant believe how many times I read on here I am a chippie or whatever, yeah in the UK maybe but do you have the Qualifications to do that here??

I would not let age put me off at all, its just about facing OZ is a very very different job market, accepting that, and marketing yourself as an advantage, you are going to have to push harder than in the UK to get what you want. If you cant get a job, make one, who said the other day, what can you do for OZ? I have no idea why OZ is not doing a Canada and pushing for people who will create jobs not take them?? Just a thought.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 8:22 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Depends what you do. Last week I saw a couple of contract jobs for project managers (Sydney) in funds management, investment banking. Rate is ~$A700/day (~GBP 230/day) - but, they're being pretty picky re:skills. In Melbourne, expect ~same, perhaps 10% less on rates. Cost of living in Sydney and Melbourne is a bit cheaper than S.E. England (comparable to Cambridge...maybe??!)

A Sydney agent said to me that the market has started to pick-up over the last 3 months or so (similar to UK, I think).

Best job sites are: www.seek.com.au and www.jobnet.com.au
Thanks! I've been checking out the job sites but found agents aren't keen to talk seriously till I've moved over there, although they make postive sounding noises.

Last year people here would have jumped at 230GBP/day. Rates were so madly low that being offered 12quid/hour for temping was a viable alternative for some. I'm in IT security - contract rates now going at 350-450GBP/day which is a LOT better. Guess in the run up to Dubya getting re-elected things will be bouyant worldwide....

As for cost of living - don't be fooled. Cambridge has an 'econo-climate' all of its own. It costs 30 quid to park the car in the city center for a day and 5-8 quid to park when you go see a movie! Yikes! Petrol is 3-4p a litre more here. And don't ask about the raise in the Community Charge this year....! It's as expensive living here as it is in London.... so Melbourne should be a walk by comparison.

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 8:32 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

Originally posted by dotty
Bit puzzled at this age thing. Firstly we were not looking for jobs in the UK, but it was in your face all the time that employers would take on older people. As in ads for police, teachers, bus drivers, nurses, and on and on or is that just being PC? We thought it was very open minded with age compared to OZ.

Trouble with OZ is there is not the volume of jobs there is in the UK, you can get 200 people apply for a simple office job so you can get a highly skilled young person at a low wage quite easily.

However myself I might employ a middle aged woman because I can see advantages. Her kids might be grown up, she may be past the age where shes going to run off to marry and get preganant. Same with older men, a bloke with a family here is going to need a job so often they will work like the devil to keep it. So surely for someone looking for a job its about selling yourself on why at 40 you are an advantage to the employer.

Trouble with OZ in my mind is people seem very Old early on. I'm 41 this year, I do not feel remotely old, yet we know hundreds of people our age, who are blabbin about finding somewhere quieter to live, dreaming of the retirement holiday, looking for houses without stairs!! is a big one here, because aussies do seem to think 40 is OLD. To me its bizzare. I mean sure they look older because of the sun damage, but suely that cant age your brain and mentality

If I was coming here at any age, my advice would be why are so many looking for jobs, start your own! Its really not that difficult.
If your looking for a job, have qualifications that are OZ certified, they want 10 bits of paper to go do anything here, I cant believe how many times I read on here I am a chippie or whatever, yeah in the UK maybe but do you have the Qualifications to do that here??

I would not let age put me off at all, its just about facing OZ is a very very different job market, accepting that, and marketing yourself as an advantage, you are going to have to push harder than in the UK to get what you want. If you cant get a job, make one, who said the other day, what can you do for OZ? I have no idea why OZ is not doing a Canada and pushing for people who will create jobs not take them?? Just a thought.
Excellent comments Dotty. And yes, I am very much of the same mind as you - I am a pushy git, so no problem with selling myself as 'the product', or with starting a business either; have done this before and made it fly, so am quite happy to invest some cash & do it again in Oz.

I'll find something meaningful to do, I'm sure - but what depresses me *beyond measure* is the failure of employers to see the talent sitting right under their noses - blind to it because it's just that bit older! Reminds me of the bad ole days when companies wouldn't hire women - and look at us now, 50% of the workforce and really contributing to the GDP etc.

Maybe today's 40-50 year olds are destined to be the 'women' of the future (if you see what I mean ).

Anya.