British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Age Pension (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/age-pension-806878/)

scot47 Aug 22nd 2013 5:22 pm

Age Pension

Is Australian Pension payable outside Australia ?

Mike at Taree Aug 23rd 2013 12:30 am

Re: Age Pension

Yes. I had been considering moving to the Philippines and researched all that. However since actually meeting a lot of Pinoys and Pinays I've changed my mind.
:rofl:
Disability support pension is only payable for limited periods and you have to duck back to Australia now and again, I believe that's because your condition could improve and you might be required to get back into the workforce.

However not the Age pension. Good Idea as I suppose it lessens your consumption of Aus public services like hospitals, the PBS etc etc.

Hino Aug 23rd 2013 4:44 am

Hi Scot,

It is for me, but I was here for almost thirty years before retiring so I'm not sure if there are any 'residency based' restrictions.

I do know that the pension is reduced if you are out of the country for more than a certain time, in my case it reduces by about $50 per fortnight after a couple of months or so.

Calling Centrelink's aged persons line on 132300 should give you more accurate information, I've always found them most helpful.

jad n rich Aug 23rd 2013 5:42 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10864239)
Is Australian Pension payable outside Australia ?

Often not.

Eg if you leave oz before pension age. You must be a australian resident at the time of claiming.

So you could pay in all your working life, move overseas and no pension.

However if you lived here at age 67/68 and got the claim then you can take it in some circumstances.

Hino Aug 23rd 2013 5:59 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 10865123)
Often not.

Eg if you leave oz before pension age. You must be a australian resident at the time of claiming.

However if you lived here at age 67/68 and got the claim then you can take it in some circumstances.

As far as I know Australia doesn't have a "pay in" system. And how the heck could someone spend "all their working life's" in Australia without becoming an Australian resident and why should they ?

As for the arriving here at age 67/68 and being 'entitled' to Australian aged pension.....The best of luck with that mate :D

the troubadour Aug 23rd 2013 7:22 am

You must be in Australia at the time of your pension application. From memory I believe it could be two years prior to applying.
Disability rules changed in recent times and from six months allowed abroad I understand it is six weeks in most cases now.

Mike at Taree Aug 23rd 2013 7:30 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 10865123)
Often not.

That would be right, the Australian Pension is not contributory as in the UK, it's a "pro Gratia" payment made to Aussies when they retire - so Jad's comment "pay in" doesn't really describe the situation. Your taxes go into consolidated revenue and they don't keep a bit aside specifically for your pension.
UK system is far better IMHO and would avoid the current Gen Y whining about all the taxes they have to pay to keep the despicable old farts alive.

scot47 Aug 23rd 2013 7:41 am

I was in correspondence with someone who just assumed that the pension would be payable to someone moving from Aus to GB. I do not think it is so simple. There is no longer a reciprocal Social Security Agreement between the two countries.

Hino Aug 23rd 2013 7:53 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10865195)
I was in correspondence with someone who just assumed that the pension would be payable to someone moving from Aus to GB. I do not think it is so simple. There is no longer a reciprocal Social Security Agreement between the two countries.

As I posted earlier, it's certainly payable in my case as I've just returned from a three month stay in UK and my pension ( reduced ), was paid into my account without any problem. But my circumstances are almost certainly different from your mates, so the only way to be sure of your particular entitlement is to call 132300 ;)

mkeylianos Aug 23rd 2013 8:06 am

I do know that the pension is reduced if you are out of the country for more than a certain time

quoll Aug 23rd 2013 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by mkeylianos (Post 10865224)
I do know that the pension is reduced if you are out of the country for more than a certain time

It is reduced according you the length of your working life in Aus. It is also means tested - so nothing like the UK pension scheme, rather a means tested Centrelink benefit.