British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   age kids start school (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/age-kids-start-school-503510/)

suzanne7575 Jan 4th 2008 11:09 am

age kids start school

just wondering how old kids are when they start full time school? as this will make a difference in when we apply to go as i want both kids in school full time if i'm going to be working full time.

my oldest is 6 and will be 7 in nov this year, so i presume he would already be in school, my youngest is 4 and 5 in october this year and she will start full time school this august and currently goes to pre-school every afternoon.

does it vary from state to state as we are thinking of WA or QLD

paulhill Jan 4th 2008 11:31 am

Re: age kids start school

Originally Posted by suzanne7575 (Post 5738167)
just wondering how old kids are when they start full time school? as this will make a difference in when we apply to go as i want both kids in school full time if i'm going to be working full time.

my oldest is 6 and will be 7 in nov this year, so i presume he would already be in school, my youngest is 4 and 5 in october this year and she will start full time school this august and currently goes to pre-school every afternoon.

Hi

We life in Queensland (Gold Coast) and my little boy will be 4 (5 in the February) when he starts school in January 2009.

Hope this helps

Sue

suzanne7575 Jan 4th 2008 11:33 am

Originally Posted by paulhill (Post 5738252)
Hi

We life in Queensland (Gold Coast) and my little boy will be 4 (5 in the February) when he starts school in January 2009.

Hope this helps

Sue

just had a read and it looks like they have to be 5 by June of the year they are starting so i think my youngest would start the same time as yours which is just a few months after she would start here

iainandsam Jan 4th 2008 7:28 pm

What month do the years run from My Daughter is 24th dec so would she start at 4 1/2 or 5 1/2?

paulhill Jan 4th 2008 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by iainandsam (Post 5740106)
What month do the years run from My Daughter is 24th dec so would she start at 4 1/2 or 5 1/2?

School starts January therefore you Daughter would have just turned 5 (I think).

quoll Jan 4th 2008 10:03 pm

Varies from state to state you can scroll down the page here http://www.det.wa.edu.au/education/e...s.html#compare to get a comparison of entry to school in each state.

Edited to say that your son would need to be 5 by 30 June to be in full time school this year in WA and in Quensland he would have to be 5 by 30 June to go to half time attendance this year. As he wont be 6 until after 30 June next year he wont be eligible for full time school until the year after that if I read the table correctly!!!!

comet555 Jan 4th 2008 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by iainandsam (Post 5740106)

My daughter will turn 5 on Dec 27th and she'll be starting school in January 2009.

This is in Queensland.

quoll Jan 5th 2008 12:18 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 5740817)
Varies from state to state you can scroll down the page here http://www.det.wa.edu.au/education/e...s.html#compare to get a comparison of entry to school in each state.

Edited to say that your son would need to be 5 by 30 June to be in full time school this year in WA and in Quensland he would have to be 5 by 30 June to go to half time attendance this year. As he wont be 6 until after 30 June next year he wont be eligible for full time school until the year after that if I read the table correctly!!!!

Ooops got your son and daughter mixed up - note to self, read more carefully!

Your son will be in school but your daughter wont!

As others have said - school year is January to December or, probably more correctly, February to December.

carmele Jan 5th 2008 1:26 am

or do what we did......... have them tested, get them in early if they are ready for it! My son is 5 this coming august and he is going to school in 4 weeks time! Only cost us $400 to get the test done too!
Carmel

Mrs Jackaroo Jan 5th 2008 2:03 am

Heres a site I'm slowly putting together - it lists all of the education departments websites throughout Australia - hopefully it'll be of some use to you :)

http://richmondit.com.au/~rfont/john...education.html

Good luck

Rach xxxx

northernbird Jan 5th 2008 3:36 am

Originally Posted by suzanne7575 (Post 5738167)

Here in WA your youngest would be in Kindy this year (08) which is 2 full days per week or equivalent half days. In Feb 2009 your child would start pre primary which is full time in effect only being a few months behind her start date in the UK. I think your eldest would be in Year 1 in 2008 and obviously Year 2 in 2009.

I have a bright child and with hindsight I am glad I have kept her age appropriate. The teachers have given her extra stuff to do to stimulate. I wouldn't have wanted her graduating when she was 16 instead of 17 as that has problems of its own.

Mrs Jackaroo Jan 5th 2008 3:38 am

My daughter was 6....turning in 7 in the November when we arrived and she went into Year 1 (NSW)

comet555 Jan 5th 2008 6:22 am

I wish there was something in QLD for kids aged 4-5. My daughter won't start prep until Jan 2009 when she has just turned 5 (in December). So for her there is no schooling of any kind before age 5 unless I pay for it.

So I am paying for her to go to kindy/pre-prep for two days a week. It just annoys me that we there are no government funded education options for that age here.

If we were still in Canada (I know we're not!), but if we were she would have free preschool for 2 or 3 afternoons a week.

northernbird Jan 5th 2008 7:14 am

Originally Posted by comet555 (Post 5742020)
I wish there was something in QLD for kids aged 4-5. My daughter won't start prep until Jan 2009 when she has just turned 5 (in December). So for her there is no schooling of any kind before age 5 unless I pay for it.

So I am paying for her to go to kindy/pre-prep for two days a week. It just annoys me that we there are no government funded education options for that age here.

If we were still in Canada (I know we're not!), but if we were she would have free preschool for 2 or 3 afternoons a week.

Frustrating isn't it. Must have changed in Canada since I was there in 04 as I paid $150 a month for the priviledge of sending my daughter to preschool. No free options either in Calgary or Halifax when I was there so I can understand your frustration.

comet555 Jan 5th 2008 7:45 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 5742079)
Frustrating isn't it. Must have changed in Canada since I was there in 04 as I paid $150 a month for the priviledge of sending my daughter to preschool. No free options either in Calgary or Halifax when I was there so I can understand your frustration.

It might be different all over Canada, same as here I suppose. In the town we were in (in Alberta), I think it was $40 for about 5 months. I hadn't looked into it too much though because I think we were leaving.

But $150 a month is still better than the $160 a month I'll be paying for 2 days a week. At least it didn't seem like there was as big a problem with waiting lists. I was really lucky to get a spot considering she was 20th in line a couple months ago.