Old Dec 7th 2009, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

alpinev18 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AGE

Hi everyone,

I was talking to a friend who has been residing in Australia for quite some times. She told me that it was better to go Australia in earlier age, eg 25-30 years old. It would be tough to find job, especially for those people who were 40 year old++. They will face a lot of problems when finding jobs as employers prefer younger candidates than "old" migrants.

Is this true ?

What is your age when you migrate to Australia ?
Old Dec 7th 2009, 3:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AGE

I am sure that Australia is no more ageist than any other country. Many positions require experience more than youth, same as anywhere else. I am sure the workforce of Australia includes over 40's, so not something I would be worried ab out. (I am 39).
Old Dec 7th 2009, 3:41 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alpinev18
Hi everyone,

I was talking to a friend who has been residing in Australia for quite some times. She told me that it was better to go Australia in earlier age, eg 25-30 years old. It would be tough to find job, especially for those people who were 40 year old++. They will face a lot of problems when finding jobs as employers prefer younger candidates than "old" migrants.

Is this true ?

I was 43 when we arrived. I've never had a problem getting work here.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 4:00 am
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by alpinev18
Hi everyone,

Is this true ?

I'm 35 and just got here last week. I'm already working, altho not in my field. I'm not worried about my age at all. Imo you just have to be prepared to be flexible about what you do. There are always jobs if you're prepared to try different things and work hard to establish yourself in your new community (unless of course you're in some outback place with population 100 or something!). What I do now is light years from what I did before, and it's also temporary, and it pays less...but I'd rather be out here doing whatever it takes have a good life here, than back in the UK doing a soul-destroying corporate job & contemplating another Scottish winter
Old Dec 7th 2009, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Over 45 is beginning to be the danger age and over 50 forget it. Yes it is an ageist community but of course older people do get jobs - they just dont get them if there is someone younger (and often cheaper) to do the same work.

Unless you have a specific skill set in demand as an older person you will struggle. I dont say 40 is old but when you are on the slippery downward slope to 50 then it gets a bit harder. Remember that it is the dream of most Aussies to retire at 50 if they can or 55 if they have to keep going for a bit longer.

That said, my workplace has 4 of us over 60 and 3 of us are reasonably new recruits. I think it may be because it pays peanuts (charities usually do) and none of us need to work but are doing it because we believe. I do have a specific skill set and have no doubt that I could walk back into my profession tomorrow (ok, well the day after, perhaps) but my husband who is the same age would not be able to get back into his very generalist admin type role even if he wanted to.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

Inglewhite has a spectacular aura aboutInglewhite has a spectacular aura aboutInglewhite has a spectacular aura about

I was 42 when we emigrated to Oz, landed on a Sunday in August 08, got offered a job the very next day!- obviously it depends on skill/ area you have experience in and area you live in too.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 7:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

That's us buggered then. Oh hang on, we both got jobs easily. Must be the exception that proves the rule
Old Dec 7th 2009, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

I was 43 when I arrived and have not struggled. Forget anyone younger as they have nowhere near the experience that I have and you cant buy experience. As for the danger area being 45 I have to disagree, 20 years away from retirement and unemployable, I dont think so. How many senior management roles, bankers, bosses are aged under 40..?
Old Dec 7th 2009, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

The trouble with old people is that they think they know it all.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1
I was 43 when I arrived and have not struggled. Forget anyone younger as they have nowhere near the experience that I have and you cant buy experience. As for the danger area being 45 I have to disagree, 20 years away from retirement and unemployable, I dont think so. How many senior management roles, bankers, bosses are aged under 40..?
Within the public service, many. Not the top top jobs but the middle manager layers. Those young things are developing their portfolios to move elsewhere - seeing EL1s and 2s under 30 is not unusual. Probably not so much in small business, they do tend to be older. Our CEO is 35 though and another NGO CEO in town that springs instantly to mind would be pushing it to be 32 so I guess it all depends on how ambitious the young people are!

Of course, once you are in a position then you are likely to stay in it - I dont say that the over 45s are unemployable, just that it is harder to get a job than someone with comparable skills who is younger.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

alpinev18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Inglewhite
I was 42 when we emigrated to Oz, landed on a Sunday in August 08, got offered a job the very next day!- obviously it depends on skill/ area you have experience in and area you live in too.
Yes, I think it depends on the job that you are looking for. Honestly I am an accountant. Can I consider this the job that required specific skill ?