Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

After school care

After school care

Old Jun 3rd 2005, 6:01 am
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute
Default After school care

I'm feeling a bit peeved....

I've just been to my 2 kid's school to try to get them into after school care for 2 hours a week starting next semester....as I'm starting a 6 month full time course. When the woman thrusted the form at me (think she's having a bad day ) She said she couldn't tell me if there was a waiting list or anything about it but that the office would give me a ring to let me know....depending on what days I wanted. Ok fair enough. On reading the form it says they need a MINIMUM of 3 emergency contact people. They said if the kids don't turn up....they search the school etc then they try mine & hubby's numbers....then they try the emergency ones....after that they call the police. When I explained that I may have a problem getting 3 emergency numbers as I know no-one in the area I was told flatly "TOUGH ask your neighbours or something...." Despite my absolute reassurances that they'd be able to contact BOTH me and hubby on our phones and if our kids went missing we'd naturally drop everything and come immediately....but alas no...that wasn't enough. I have to ask complete strangers instead for their telephone numbers and ask them if they'll go to the school and help look for my kids if they go missing

Has anyone else had this problem??? If so...how'd you get round it???
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 7:02 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After school care

Hi Petra,

Her attitude stinks 'bad day or not! I would of expected a more helpful approach considering your situation.

I had to do the same putting Louise into Kindergarten,we only needed two emergency contacts but they were adament about needing them even though i stated i was available at all times,we asked hubbys friend & his wife,same home number,different mobile numbers & that seemed to be ok.

Im afraid you dont really have much choice but to ask complete strangers
If there is any neighbours that you are friendly with,any of your kids friends parents or any of us expats that are close by that wont mind giving you their contact details(i would give you ours but we,re a bit far away.but if your stuck pm me) & explain that the chances of them actually having to be contacted is very remote.

Hope the rest of your day is a bit better

Donna.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 8:30 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

just put your two numbers and then third as your home/ mobile if youve got one or just make a number up and make a name up. who cares, they arent going to check.

put down dimia's number in adelaide. ;-)
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 8:59 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by spalen
just put your two numbers and then third as your home/ mobile if youve got one or just make a number up and make a name up. who cares, they arent going to check.
Thats just what I was thinking

Use first name + surname + home number, then middle name + surname + mobile

Old Jun 3rd 2005, 9:18 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Thats just what I was thinking

Use first name + surname + home number, then middle name + surname + mobile

Now,.. why didnt i think of that !!

Donna.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: To the world you are one person...to one person you may be the world
logan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nicelogan is just really nice

Originally Posted by artep
I'm feeling a bit peeved....

I've just been to my 2 kid's school to try to get them into after school care for 2 hours a week starting next semester....as I'm starting a 6 month full time course. When the woman thrusted the form at me (think she's having a bad day ) She said she couldn't tell me if there was a waiting list or anything about it but that the office would give me a ring to let me know....depending on what days I wanted. Ok fair enough. On reading the form it says they need a MINIMUM of 3 emergency contact people. They said if the kids don't turn up....they search the school etc then they try mine & hubby's numbers....then they try the emergency ones....after that they call the police. When I explained that I may have a problem getting 3 emergency numbers as I know no-one in the area I was told flatly "TOUGH ask your neighbours or something...." Despite my absolute reassurances that they'd be able to contact BOTH me and hubby on our phones and if our kids went missing we'd naturally drop everything and come immediately....but alas no...that wasn't enough. I have to ask complete strangers instead for their telephone numbers and ask them if they'll go to the school and help look for my kids if they go missing

Has anyone else had this problem??? If so...how'd you get round it???

sorry artep, I can't help, but just wanted to give you some karma and hope you have a good weekend x
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Sorry to hear about your ordeal Artep. It isn't nice when things like that happen, especially when you don't know anyone. Here's some karma for you.

Old Jun 3rd 2005, 9:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Petra, put me down - tell them I work up that way or something.
They're never likely to call on me after all.

I'll pm you my real name and address as I don't expect they'll accept Pollyana c/o British expats!
Old Jun 5th 2005, 11:29 pm
....is FAB

artep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond reputeartep has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your kind replies guys..

I would have replied sooner but we've been away this weekend up in Hervey Bay visiting old friends from the uk.

Later today I'm going 'cap in hand' so to speak to a couple of neighbours. The kids have made friends with some others up the road so their house will be my first port of call.

I just hope after all this there's some places for 'em!!! They won't give me that info until I apply for their places...
Old Jun 6th 2005, 8:49 am
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

Hi Petra,

Oh no, what a pain in the arse!!!!! Surely they must realise that if you're recently from the UK, then you obviously won't know people in the area well enough to put down as emergency contacts for your kids!!!! I know they have their policies - but in certain cirumstances surely this could policy could be waived!!!!!!

Do you know any expats near where you live who could help you out - the chances of them actually being contacted is so remote that it won't be a problem.

Good luck and let us know if you resolve the problem???

Sending you some karma to help!

Shell
Old Jun 6th 2005, 8:52 am
In Brisbane at last!!!

shecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the roughshecha is a jewel in the rough

Hi Petra -

Sorry won't let me give you karma - got to spread some around before I can give to you again!!!!

Shell
Old Jun 6th 2005, 11:02 am
....is FAB

Well I did the 'cap in hand' thing tonight with the neighbours....

I started with the parents of the kids that my kids are pally with...she was fine about it...she understood my situation. She then directed me to the woman who lives 2 doors away from her as she reckoned she would agree to be a contact for me. She too was ok and explained she didn't really know many people either. My third port of call was my nieghbour who lives opposite me....she even volunteered to pick the kids up for me if I was stuck!!!! RESULT!

It was a bit of a risk asking my neighbours as it could have all gone embarrassingly wrong if they refused. But fortunately it all turned out ok plus it's meant I've actually spoken to some of the people who I share the road with!!!!

A lot of the people in my road stand outside and chat together while they're watching their kids play (most of the kids here are between 18 months and 9 at best) as they're too young to play out unsupervised. My kids on the other hand would cringe if I stood outside to 'mind' them as they're a bit big for that. Plus I'd feel a bit of an 'over-protective' old mother hen watching over my 12 year old ride his bike up and down the street So I have no 'excuse' to hang around outside like the others do so would feel a complete plank.

.......all I have to do now is hope there's places for them....but hey..at least some good's come out of it....I've made a few friends
Old Jun 6th 2005, 11:16 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by artep
Well I did the 'cap in hand' thing tonight with the neighbours....

I started with the parents of the kids that my kids are pally with...she was fine about it...she understood my situation. She then directed me to the woman who lives 2 doors away from her as she reckoned she would agree to be a contact for me. She too was ok and explained she didn't really know many people either. My third port of call was my nieghbour who lives opposite me....she even volunteered to pick the kids up for me if I was stuck!!!! RESULT!

It was a bit of a risk asking my neighbours as it could have all gone embarrassingly wrong if they refused. But fortunately it all turned out ok plus it's meant I've actually spoken to some of the people who I share the road with!!!!

A lot of the people in my road stand outside and chat together while they're watching their kids play (most of the kids here are between 18 months and 9 at best) as they're too young to play out unsupervised. My kids on the other hand would cringe if I stood outside to 'mind' them as they're a bit big for that. Plus I'd feel a bit of an 'over-protective' old mother hen watching over my 12 year old ride his bike up and down the street So I have no 'excuse' to hang around outside like the others do so would feel a complete plank.

.......all I have to do now is hope there's places for them....but hey..at least some good's come out of it....I've made a few friends

good for you petra!
glad to hear you have got it sorted - childcare is such a huge worry, and is one of the reasons we had for waiting to apply next year.
good luck with it!
sue
Old Jun 6th 2005, 11:20 am
....is FAB

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
good for you petra!
glad to hear you have got it sorted - childcare is such a huge worry, and is one of the reasons we had for waiting to apply next year.
good luck with it!
sue
Cheers Sue! I would've resorted to having my 15 year old pick them up from school and 'babysit' them until I got home at 4.30....but I like my furniture in one piece and my fridge to have some food left in it at the end of the day
Old Jun 6th 2005, 2:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Glad it worked out for you Petra, and you met some new people into the bargain -can't be bad, can it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.