Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

After migrate to AU, can we buy home right away?

After migrate to AU, can we buy home right away?

Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

July is an unknown quantity at this point
Question After migrate to AU, can we buy home right away?

Hello dears,

I got a question. I would like to know after we migrate to AU, can we buy house right away or is there any rules like we need to wait for some time frame to be able to buy the house after migrate over there.

Looking forward for the reply.

Thanks Zillion,
July
Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: After migrate to AU, can we buy home right away?

Originally Posted by July
Hello dears,

I got a question. I would like to know after we migrate to AU, can we buy house right away or is there any rules like we need to wait for some time frame to be able to buy the house after migrate over there.

Looking forward for the reply.

Thanks Zillion,
July
depends if you'll be on a permanent or a temporary visa.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hereshoping
depends if you'll be on a permanent or a temporary visa.
It will be permanent residence status.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:34 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean buy outright or Mortgage
Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:39 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

It will be permanent residence status.
As a permanent resident you can buy a home straight away. The problem is trying to get a mortgage here without a credit history in Australia. Most mortgage companies will only lend to someone who has been in full time employment for a certain length of time, although it varies how long.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dorothy
As a permanent resident you can buy a home straight away. The problem is trying to get a mortgage here without a credit history in Australia. Most mortgage companies will only lend to someone who has been in full time employment for a certain length of time, although it varies how long.
We got a mortgage offer after being here only a month and with me in full time employment but only on a contract that went 4 months ahead.

This was only last year, and we got more than one offer. However we did have a big deposit so that helped.

If your circumstances are right you can buy.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Question Re: After migrate to AU, can we buy home right away?

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I see. So for the credit history, there is no strict rule (like need to be at least 1 year in country) and just depend on banks whether they agree on mortgage or not. Am I right?
Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

We got a mortgage offer after being here only a month and with me in full time employment but only on a contract that went 4 months ahead.

This was only last year, and we got more than one offer. However we did have a big deposit so that helped.

Oh I see. Thanks for the info.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 8:59 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I see. So for the credit history, there is no strict rule (like need to be at least 1 year in country) and just depend on banks whether they agree on mortgage or not. Am I right?
That's right. We applied for and were approved for a $300,000 mortgage after only being in Australia for about 2 months. We didn't end up buying the property we were looking at, thankfully, but we also had a decent deposit.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

robo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura about

Yeh we did , you can get a lo-doc mortgage maybe 1% above standard variable rate usually tied in for 2 years then drop back onto standard rate
Old Mar 16th 2009, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

Question Re: After migrate to AU, can we buy home right away?

A big deposit means can we consider 100K as big deposit?
Old Mar 16th 2009, 4:08 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

I was just of the Phone with Westpac

if you have about 20% of the Value of the house your in a very good position.

A salary of abut 75 K would get you a house of about 500k bearing in mind that includes stamp.