Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

After the long wait....

After the long wait....

Old Mar 6th 2006, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After the long wait....

Originally Posted by Pink & Fluffy
Yep trying that, a bit concerned about my liver though!!!

I thought that about mine too. But I do find it's the only way I can get any sleep
Old Mar 6th 2006, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by <")))><
....Australia is everything we dreamt it would be, but emigrating is possibly one of the hardest things we have ever done. 2.5 years on from when we started the whole process, the move itself was tough and emotional on all four of us, but more so for those we left behind.

For the emigration flight, we chose Singapore Airlines and they were amazing. I've flown with Cathay, JAL, Emirates and BA and would say Singapore were overall the better airline. They were great with the kids, the food was actually really quite appetising and the most legroom I've seen in economy.

After shipping our stuff with John Mason, selling the house, all that paperwork we all endure, we were tired of the waiting game and ready for the big move, and a bit of quality Aussie time.

However, the first week was hard in Sydney. We stayed in Dural Holiday Village and the combination of jetlag and shock of what we had done hit me hard in particular, and I felt very remote and highly emotional, living in a chalet. I had already been out a few months before to secure work, and I was starting a few days after landing so had something to help concentrate my mind and help me settle in. It didn't take long.

I work in IT, and immediately found that I had plenty of challenges ahead of me - in a good way that is. There are plenty of opportunities for the right people (if you're prepared to work hard). I managed to land a good job in Sydney that would see us right for the first few months in a new country. As it turns out, it could be a more permament role now that I've dug my heels in a bit. There is a lot of bad press about the 'state of IT' in Australia. If you have half a brain, willing to give anything a fair go and work hard, you will find the right work for you. Stick with it.

We found a rental home quickly, at a reasonable price, and in a good area. Cherrybrook is in the N.W. hills above Sydney and it takes me 40 minutes to commute to work by car. The traffic is bad some days, but by getting in an hour or so earlier (6:30 am) and leaving earlier (around 4 pm), I skip the heavy commuting traffic without a problem. The added bonuses are that I get a large amount of work done early before everyone gets in to the office in the morning AND I get to leave early to spend the end of the day with my kids. That would never have happened before now.

As for buying a property, there's no rush, particularly with Sydney prices being what they are. To be honest, Sydney may not be where we truly settle.

We bank with Commonwealth, and have found them to be hassle-free and very helpful in getting us set up out here. Once our house was sold and the money across, they waived all their fees (if that bothers you).

For us, the most welcome aspect of Aussie life has been the attitude of the people we come across every day. We've made friends at work, at home, at school, at the corner shop...everywhere, Aussies are genuine people and wear their hearts on their sleeves and are so easy to get on with...well, the ones we've met anyway!! I've been out on several work do's and made some good friends already......and we haven't even started yet; we have plans to join the local sports clubs, get involved in local community activities, so it can only get better and better in our eyes.

Our boys have settled in to primary and pre-school education really well. Plenty of differences in attitude in the classroom which will do our eldest the world of good. I've read on here that some people object to dipping in their pocket to pay for school trips and extra curricular stuff. Well, from our perspective, that's all good and the more they can throw at our kids, the better we'll like it. The boys are getting opportunites (dancing, art, nature trips etc) they would never have got under the Hampshire Education Authority and if I have to throw a few dollars in for that to happen, so be it. Overall, we are very impressed with the public education out here.

Xmas came and went without any sense of occasion this year for us, and I have to say we absolutely loved the freedom it gave us. No furniture, no TV, but no worries! The kids were excited that Santa had not forgotten us (clever Santa even knew we were getting a pool, so he packed in some extra pool toys in his sack). We were on the beach at Narrabeen on Christmas Day with grins from ear to ear. A first, and defintely not a last.

New Years Day was a scorcher, Australia Day was a blinder, any bloody day.....so far this place has been incredible.

There are many things that, on the surface, could make you feel 'worse off' out here. When I read some of the more negative posts on BE about Australian life, they usually make me chuckle as most of them are factually spot on. (Arkon, you are a legend !!) Whether these things irritate you is clearly your personal choice and I'm sure there are times all of us get frustrated (like dealing with the RTA - what the hell are those guys on???!? )

For us, Australia was never going to fix our money troubles, or give us a bigger house, or even guarantee a sunny day. It was going to be a new home, for richer or poorer, better or worse. A fair go. From the UK it was very hard to foresee how our Aus project would unfold. You can only plan so much, and you trust your ongoing judgement and hope for a big helping of luck. Well..... all I can say to those planning the move is, go for it. Don't sweat the small stuff, stay focussed on your goal and enjoy the ride. It will be the ride of your life and you will not regret it. Of course your bank balance will take a battering; you will spend a bit of money getting here (and it doesn't stop once you get here either) but whether you stay in Australia for the rest of your lives, or whether you go home after giving it your best shot, my opinion is you will definitely be the richer for having done it. It's a beautiful country and is now our new home.

If you're in Cherrybrook NSW, drop in for a cold one.
Nice on FISH. Good to hear you are settling in, reading posts like that really gives us the enthusiasm to get packed and moved and start living it for real.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Pink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by WendyC
I thought that about mine too. But I do find it's the only way I can get any sleep
Good point although hard to sleep when the room is spinning!
Old Mar 6th 2006, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pink & Fluffy
Good point although hard to sleep when the room is spinning!
If you carry on drinking when the room starts spinning then you pass out
Old Mar 6th 2006, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Pink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to allPink & Fluffy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by WendyC
If you carry on drinking when the room starts spinning then you pass out

Ah that's where I have been going wrong all these years! I'll give it a go tonight
Old Mar 6th 2006, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

stela is just really nicestela is just really nicestela is just really nicestela is just really nicestela is just really nicestela is just really nicestela is just really nicestela is just really nicestela is just really nicestela is just really nice

Well That was a grt post!.. Just what i needed to read to cheer me up . We are just waiting for our meds and police checks to be requested, and hope it wont be long befor we are in sydney too!. Its great to hear things are going so well for you and your family. Look fwd to the sydney meet one day! .

Cheers Stela
Old Mar 6th 2006, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

dolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud ofdolly123 has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: After the long wait....

ur post has made my heart a little warmer. Thanks...
I have been hoping that i am not wasting money n time by trying to immigrate in aus. Ur post has given me faith.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by stela
Well That was a grt post!.. Just what i needed to read to cheer me up . We are just waiting for our meds and police checks to be requested, and hope it wont be long befor we are in sydney too!. Its great to hear things are going so well for you and your family. Look fwd to the sydney meet one day! .

Cheers Stela
Hi Stela

We are off to Sydney too, we are having our meds next Friday (17th) so it sounds like we are at a similar stage! Hating the waiting game, I am the most impatient person I know so am getting really frustrated now! Have you sold your house yet? when do you plan to be out there??