Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

After 17 months, we finally have our first home !

After 17 months, we finally have our first home !

Old Sep 26th 2005, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough
Default After 17 months, we finally have our first home !

Yes, after that long I have just unpacked boxes that we brought from England. Some stuff I forgot I had, other stuff (typical english cottage) went straight in the bin !

We have waited so long for the whole building process and now we have been in for two weeks and really enjoying going upstairs to bed but cursing not been able to get a cold drink from the fridge in the middle of a night (well we can but can't be bothered to go downstairs).

In short, would we build with Clarendon Homes again - definitely. Would be have a bigger budget before we started - definitely. Would be build on the infamous Redlandshire red soil again - probably not ! My cream and brown decor has now become terracotta and we stink of white vinegar all of the time because its the only thing to get the 'stains' out !

The only other problem is that we are paying out Telstra broadband fee and don't have the broadband capacity. Yes we did check it out before we moved and we were told all was OK - apparently not now ! So back to old dial-up (whilst still paying the broadband monthly fee !) until they can lay new cables !

Pool has been dug, concrete due tomorrow AM but guess what, so is the rain and storms !!

Still, we have a sense of humour and a six pack !

If anyone needs any advice or help on the local build process ect, just give me a shout.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: After 17 months, we finally have our first home !

Originally Posted by surfdude
Yes, after that long I have just unpacked boxes that we brought from England. Some stuff I forgot I had, other stuff (typical english cottage) went straight in the bin !

We have waited so long for the whole building process and now we have been in for two weeks and really enjoying going upstairs to bed but cursing not been able to get a cold drink from the fridge in the middle of a night (well we can but can't be bothered to go downstairs).

In short, would we build with Clarendon Homes again - definitely. Would be have a bigger budget before we started - definitely. Would be build on the infamous Redlandshire red soil again - probably not ! My cream and brown decor has now become terracotta and we stink of white vinegar all of the time because its the only thing to get the 'stains' out !

The only other problem is that we are paying out Telstra broadband fee and don't have the broadband capacity. Yes we did check it out before we moved and we were told all was OK - apparently not now ! So back to old dial-up (whilst still paying the broadband monthly fee !) until they can lay new cables !

Pool has been dug, concrete due tomorrow AM but guess what, so is the rain and storms !!

If anyone needs any advice or help on the local build process ect, just give me a shout.
"Congratulations on your new home ! "
Must feel good to have a place you can call your own.
Enjoy,
All the best,
Tass.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 7:22 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After 17 months, we finally have our first home !

Congratulations!

(Just 12 months to the day in Oz and still renting!)
Old Sep 26th 2005, 7:23 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tass
"Congratulations on your new home ! "
Must feel good to have a place you can call your own.
Enjoy,
All the best,
Tass.
First off - congratulations - we are looking at clarendon too - so it is nice to get some positive feedback.

A couple of questions if i may......

1) did your price go up from signing to completion? I have heard tales of you sign today then when they actually come to build the price has gone up.

2) How long did it take from signing the contract to them starting building to moving in....

tell me to pee orf if i am being too nosey !!

Cheers

Jon
Old Sep 26th 2005, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to all

Well done! Would love to see a picture.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by wargod
First off - congratulations - we are looking at clarendon too - so it is nice to get some positive feedback.

A couple of questions if i may......

1) did your price go up from signing to completion? I have heard tales of you sign today then when they actually come to build the price has gone up.

2) How long did it take from signing the contract to them starting building to moving in....

tell me to pee orf if i am being too nosey !!

Cheers

Jon

No worries, I posted the thread not to 'gloat' but for exactly this reason, to answer questions from people !

In answer to your questions;
1. You go and see your sales guy and tell him what if anything you want to change from their design and any extras you may want eg, air con. He gives you a 'guide price', if you are still interested you pay,(I think) $700 and he sends it into the office for a 'quotation bid' and soil test. Once the soil test is booked this money becomes non refundable. You get an appointment to go into the office and Lynette (if she is still there) goes through the 'quotation price' and explains every nook and cranny of the build, soil, land lie etc. (My hubby is in construction and he said she certainly knew what she was talking about - very good at her job). If you are still interested, you pay some more money to 'go to contract' and draw up build plans. These payments come off your total contract price. From our initial salesman quote to final contract our price actually came down a bit, because the engineers had surveyed the land and realised they didn't need piers or fill. At your contract meeting your final price is fixed. You are entitled to whatever deals/prices were offered at initial enquiry.

2. They quote 3 months from initial enquiry for 'planning' and 6 months to build and I have to say they were spot on !

Good luck with whatever you decide.
SD.

Last edited by surfdude; Sep 26th 2005 at 7:41 am.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 8:07 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all

When it's completed, post some piccies.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 8:08 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

No worries, I posted the thread not to 'gloat' but for exactly this reason, to answer questions from people !

In answer to your questions;
1. You go and see your sales guy and tell him what if anything you want to change from their design and any extras you may want eg, air con. He gives you a 'guide price', if you are still interested you pay,(I think) $700 and he sends it into the office for a 'quotation bid' and soil test. Once the soil test is booked this money becomes non refundable. You get an appointment to go into the office and Lynette (if she is still there) goes through the 'quotation price' and explains every nook and cranny of the build, soil, land lie etc. (My hubby is in construction and he said she certainly knew what she was talking about - very good at her job). If you are still interested, you pay some more money to 'go to contract' and draw up build plans. These payments come off your total contract price. From our initial salesman quote to final contract our price actually came down a bit, because the engineers had surveyed the land and realised they didn't need piers or fill. At your contract meeting your final price is fixed. You are entitled to whatever deals/prices were offered at initial enquiry.

2. They quote 3 months from initial enquiry for 'planning' and 6 months to build and I have to say they were spot on !

Good luck with whatever you decide.
SD.
Thanks for that - i have copied and pasted this into my house building file!!

As AndyD (above) says i'd love to see a piccy? Out of interest which design did you go for? The wife like the Kirribilli - but i think it is too big!!
Old Sep 26th 2005, 8:09 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats
Old Sep 26th 2005, 9:15 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

As AndyD (above) says i'd love to see a piccy? Out of interest which design did you go for? The wife like the Kirribilli - but i think it is too big!!
We like the Kirribilli too, but I quite fancy having the Homestead (Single storey).

Looking forward to the piccies
Please post some soon.
Julie
Old Sep 26th 2005, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Agree, I thought it was too big and I couldn't see how to make it a 'home' - it (personal opinion) just seems too 'showhouse' for me. We went for the Mornington 36 - Homestead facade, it is the first one in Queensland ! We intended to build a deck off the upstairs TV room for the bay view, good job we didn't the trees in front have grown and houses have been built to block the view !

There are four of us and we certainly have more than enough room.

Will get hubby to do the technical side and paste a picture, (so it may take a while) !

SD.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 10:12 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

Agree, I thought it was too big and I couldn't see how to make it a 'home' - it (personal opinion) just seems too 'showhouse' for me. We went for the Mornington 36 - Homestead facade, it is the first one in Queensland ! We intended to build a deck off the upstairs TV room for the bay view, good job we didn't the trees in front have grown and houses have been built to block the view !

There are four of us and we certainly have more than enough room.

Will get hubby to do the technical side and paste a picture, (so it may take a while) !

SD.
Great minds think alike - Mornington 36 was my favourite !
Old Sep 26th 2005, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Would be build on the infamous Redlandshire red soil again - probably not ! My cream and brown decor has now become terracotta and we stink of white vinegar all of the time because its the only thing to get the 'stains' out !
The old timers in the Redlands used to be proud of their swirly red-brown patterned carpets and laughed at the newbies moving into the first stages of Raby Bay with their white carpets.

You could cap the redsoil with a grey topsoil, although the red will leach through over time.

Suggest you start planning for floor tiles.....

WW
Old Sep 26th 2005, 12:09 pm
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough

Hope you enjoy your new house. Just had a look at the design on Clarendon and it looks fantastic.

Hope your happy there and good luck.