Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

After 10.5 months in Australia.......

Wikiposts

After 10.5 months in Australia.......

Old Jul 5th 2006, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After 10.5 months in Australia.......

Originally Posted by fraser
I have my first proper interview, I applied for a job in big chain plumbers merchants and actually got the reply preferred candidate which was a nice surprise as I've applied for literally hundreds of jobs most without even the courtesy of the "no thanks" reply.

It'll be my first work interview in about 16 years, not even sure what to wear I think smart casual?

Any useful tips?
congrats on getting to the interview stage.

i've always been inclined to go for smart rather than casual- i think it shows that you care what they think about you, and first impressions count for so much.

i remember reading that most interviewers decide within the first minute whether you are suitable for the job-scary eh!
Old Jul 5th 2006, 11:49 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by russmcp
Would suggest you give a monkies toss and you wouldn't come across as an arse.
All that and I can't be cocky
Old Jul 5th 2006, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Very very best of luck. If you have any letters of recommendation from UK customers, or references, I would take them with you.

Otherwise, just be yourself, they'll love you

I look forward to seeing you post telling us you are employed :crossfingers:
Old Jul 5th 2006, 11:51 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

I have my first proper interview, I applied for a job in big chain plumbers merchants and actually got the reply preferred candidate which was a nice surprise as I've applied for literally hundreds of jobs most without even the courtesy of the "no thanks" reply.

It'll be my first work interview in about 16 years, not even sure what to wear I think smart casual?

Any useful tips?
Excellent news mate!

I would check to see if they have a website so they'll see you have been researching their company.

I don't reckon you'll have anything to fret about, by the sounds of it they'll just want to test your knowledge & make sure you walk upright!

Best of luck, remember to give your shoes a right good polish!

p.s. They might ask about your view of customer service, just tell them that you treat customers the way that you would wish to be treated yourself.

Last edited by mackinnon; Jul 5th 2006 at 11:55 am.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 11:52 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
congrats on getting to the interview stage.

i've always been inclined to go for smart rather than casual- i think it shows that you care what they think about you, and first impressions count for so much.

i remember reading that most interviewers decide within the first minute whether you are suitable for the job-scary eh!
I know what you're saying but it's a trade shop, if I turn up in designer clothes etc, i don't want the people that are working there thinking I'm up my own arse, I think I'm going to go with a pair of trousers and a shirt.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 11:56 am
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you're saying but it's a trade shop, if I turn up in designer clothes etc, i don't want the people that are working there thinking I'm up my own arse, I think I'm going to go with a pair of trousers and a shirt.
Well being a hammers fan you're bound to dress down

Unlike me a spurs fan, I'd go with a tie.

However if you have made your mind up how you're gonna turn up after 10 and a half months (can't believe you have been there that long already) I think you have got a good idea of how to prepare for your interview.

No doubt you will let us know how it goes, fingers crossed for you. Just hope its the start of some good news for you.
Old Jul 5th 2006, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

i don't want the people that are working there thinking I'm up my own arse,
Don't you think it is only fair that they know the real you from the start
Old Jul 5th 2006, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mackinnon
..... they'll just want to...... make sure you walk upright!

ROFLMAO!

What if his knuckles are grazing the floor? Is that all right?
Old Jul 5th 2006, 12:17 pm

Well being a hammers fan you're bound to dress down

Unlike me a spurs fan, I'd go with a tie.

However if you have made your mind up how you're gonna turn up after 10 and a half months (can't believe you have been there that long already) I think you have got a good idea of how to prepare for your interview.

No doubt you will let us know how it goes, fingers crossed for you. Just hope its the start of some good news for you.

Just for you
Old Jul 5th 2006, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by sunbather
Don't you think it is only fair that they know the real you from the start
Not if I want the job
Old Jul 5th 2006, 12:21 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with the interview mate I would suggest the tie at least. I always turn up for interviews in my suit even if the jacket comes off at the first possible moment (it creates a good image). It was even noted at the last interview that I attended and this is the most dressed down office I have worked in.

Go get em!!!

Any useful tips?
Old Jul 5th 2006, 12:28 pm

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Just for you
W************************KER

Hope the job goes to someone else
Old Jul 5th 2006, 12:34 pm

W************************KER

Hope the job goes to someone else
have you got a stutter there mate
Old Jul 5th 2006, 12:36 pm

have you got a stutter there mate
No was just saying w***er in an east london stylie, i.e. w*******************************ker

Now **** off!
Old Jul 5th 2006, 12:45 pm

Did you see the Spurs cry
'cos they didn't qualify
lasagne whooooa
lasagne whooooa

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.