British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   African grey parrot (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/african-grey-parrot-574715/)

robert cowan Nov 23rd 2008 6:48 am

African grey parrot

hi all
is there any one on here that has an African Grey Parrot?
if so, how much did you pay if you don't me asking. Anyone know of anywhere in victoria that sells them at a reasonable price. was quoted $10,000 from a place in north coburg yesterday.

The Bloke Nov 23rd 2008 8:50 am

Re: African grey parrot

Originally Posted by robert cowan (Post 7000546)
hi all
if so, how much did you pay if you don't me asking. Anyone know of anywhere in victoria that sells them at a reasonable price. was quoted $10,000 from a place in north coburg yesterday.

$10000 is pretty much the asking price. Looks like the closest I can find is in NSW and QLD.

http://www.birdsforsaleonline.com.au...72411087100154
http://sydney.gumtree.com.au/f-afric...greyQ20parrots

But a word of warning.......
http://forum.parrotsociety.org.au/vi...97ab95c474bf6c, but I'm not sure whether or not it is still current.

arkon Nov 23rd 2008 9:32 am

hi all

Please don't buy a parrot. Especially here in Oz. They are everywhere. It really annoys me the next door neighbors have a caged parrot they put out on the step for some sun, yet in the garden, roof, trees you name it they are everywhere here. We have rosellas and Cockatiels to name a couple so why would anyone want a caged one! Do what I do and throw some monkey nuts on the lawn.

Cheetah7 Nov 23rd 2008 9:37 am

Originally Posted by arkon (Post 7000777)
Please don't buy a parrot. Especially here in Oz. They are everywhere. It really annoys me the next door neighbors have a caged parrot they put out on the step for some sun, yet in the garden, roof, trees you name it they are everywhere here. We have rosellas and Cockatiels to name a couple so why would anyone want a caged one! Do what I do and throw some monkey nuts on the lawn.

Ive got a large concrete garden including a very high raised section to it. I was thinking of putting a high bird table on it with the appropriate parrot food to attract the number 28's, the galahs, white cockatoos and black cockatoos - we get them all where we live.

Someone said parrots are really destructive and I was wondering if I put a high bird table out there, would the parrots still try their luck on the pergola area which they dont go anywhere near now?

They all sit on our electricity cable and wind up my puppy - it is so funny watching them screech at him:p

arkon Nov 23rd 2008 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 7000788)
Ive got a large concrete garden including a very high raised section to it. I was thinking of putting a high bird table on it with the appropriate parrot food to attract the number 28's, the galahs, white cockatoos and black cockatoos - we get them all where we live.

Someone said parrots are really destructive and I was wondering if I put a high bird table out there, would the parrots still try their luck on the pergola area which they dont go anywhere near now?

They all sit on our electricity cable and wind up my puppy - it is so funny watching them screech at him:p

Yes they are very destructive and you won't be popular with the neighbors if you feed and attract them. I've already had a posse from the street to give me a telling off! Didn't stop me tho.

spartacus Nov 23rd 2008 11:15 am

hi all

$10,000! Good Lord.

Rather than the African Grey, why not go for the Norwegian Blue? Far cheaper, and require little to no upkeep. Rarely move from their perch in fact.

Cheetah7 Nov 23rd 2008 11:25 am

Originally Posted by arkon (Post 7000892)
Yes they are very destructive and you won't be popular with the neighbors if you feed and attract them. I've already had a posse from the street to give me a telling off! Didn't stop me tho.

Oh well, I shall continue to admire them from the electricity poles.:wub:

I like seeing the galahs and the white cockies eating the grass together.:wub:

nickyjohnt Nov 23rd 2008 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 7000983)
$10,000! Good Lord.

Rather than the African Grey, why not go for the Norwegian Blue? Far cheaper, and require little to no upkeep. Rarely move from their perch in fact.

"Norwegian Blue" beautiful plumage:D

spartacus Nov 23rd 2008 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt (Post 7001127)
"Norwegian Blue" beautiful plumage:D

The plumage don't enter into it!

:D

Kath & Graham Nov 23rd 2008 3:52 pm

We used to have a Blue fronted Amazon here in UK and unfortunately had to leave him behind when we went to Oz:( They are a lovely bird!! the only thing we found about greys is they can be very clingy to one person and sometimes will only attach themselves to that one person, whereas our parrott loved everyone even the kids and was not a noisy disruptive bird like they can sometimes be, mind you he never cost that much money crickey wet hought 450 pounds was a lot!!! how come they are so much money?

kjc Nov 23rd 2008 9:24 pm

The $10k you have been quoted is high,However, more than the price,make certain prior to any purchase, that any non native species can been traced back to it's origin,I.E either a legally imported specimen or progeny of an imported specimen.
90% of all exotic birds in Australia are via illicit means,i.e. smuggled.
Hence there high prices.

Possums Nov 24th 2008 12:27 am

you would pay about 800 quid to 1000 if hand reared in the UK so $10k is extortionate. I trust you know they live for around 80yrs, just something people tend to forget when buying one :)

stevemich Nov 24th 2008 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 7000788)

We had a feeder in the garden and the Cockatoos got into the habit of parading up and down our kitchen window cill to tell us to fill it up.... was cute until we were not there one day and they ended up destroying part of the frame with their beaks. We could not believe the damage they did, and now have no bird feeder so they do not come back - its a shame as we had lorikeets and galahs and the odd parrot on that feeder...:(

andy170773 Nov 24th 2008 4:20 am

hi
we had an african grey in the uk, paid about 400 pound for it, it had been hand reared, really sad we couldnt bring him with us, he was a character, mimicked everything you said and could do coronation street anthem to a tee!! sold him on to another african grey fanatic whos bird had just passed away, they do live a long time and are great pets, not seen any here though, definately wouldnt pay $10,000 for one though!

Cheetah7 Nov 24th 2008 5:01 am

Originally Posted by stevemich (Post 7002639)
We had a feeder in the garden and the Cockatoos got into the habit of parading up and down our kitchen window cill to tell us to fill it up.... was cute until we were not there one day and they ended up destroying part of the frame with their beaks. We could not believe the damage they did, and now have no bird feeder so they do not come back - its a shame as we had lorikeets and galahs and the odd parrot on that feeder...:(

I shall just watch them from the roof I guess.

At least I can see them though, that is something.