British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   AFL Adoption (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/afl-adoption-241110/)

PeteY Jul 8th 2004 4:49 pm

AFL Adoption

Just wondering how many of you have adopted an AFL team, which, and why?

I'm now a Port Adelaide fan, as i live in SA i wanted to go for an SA team.

Choice was Port or the Crows......went for port for 3 reasons....

1) Easier to get cheap seats
2) Crows are crap ;)
3) Don't like scandals.

RichS Jul 8th 2004 4:54 pm

I might point out that Port are not a particularly popular side in Adelaide because:

a) they abandoned the SAFL to join the victorian based comp
b) they are supported in the main by a bunch of wharfies and assorted lowlifes
c) Adelaide Crows are an amalgum of several Adelaide clubs and as such garner a greater support base
d) Port always choke in the finals series

PeteY Jul 8th 2004 5:05 pm

Originally posted by RichS
I might point out that Port are not a particularly popular side in Adelaide because:

a) they abandoned the SAFL to join the victorian based comp
b) they are supported in the main by a bunch of wharfies and assorted lowlifes
c) adelaide Crows are an amalgum of several Adelaide cluns and as such garner a greater support base
d) Port always choke in the finals series
1)I'm not in Adelaide.
2)My wifes family, who are all in Adelaide all support Port....so what are you trying to say with your point b)??
3)I can still get cheaper seats :)
4)who do you support and why?

RichS Jul 8th 2004 5:13 pm

my views on Port are from my friends (all 3 of them) from Adelaide who all seem to despise Port with a passion. On further investigation with guys in the office from that neck of the woods I find they all say the same things.

I go for the Swans because I live in Sydney. I'll be at the game tomorrow.
I usually go to watch rugby league here, as its the biggest sport in town by a country mile. What you find in Sydney however as compared to Melbourne, is that people are happy to give other codes a go. Melbourne seem to be very paranoic about other footie codes.
what about Adelaide?

Peter Jul 8th 2004 5:14 pm

1) Essendon
2) See 1.

PeteY Jul 8th 2004 5:24 pm

my views on Port are from my friends (all 3 of them) from Adelaide who all seem to despise Port with a passion. On further investigation with guys in the office from that neck of the woods I find they all say the same things.
Fair enough.....true blue Port fans hate the crows too.... Its all pretty new to me, so im indifferent.

I go for the Swans because I live in Sydney. I'll be at the game tomorrow.
I usually go to watch rugby league here, as its the biggest sport in town by a country mile. What you find in Sydney however as compared to Melbourne, is that people are happy to give other codes a go. Melbourne seem to be very paranoic about other footie codes.
what about Adelaide?
By codes i take if you mean types of game? In SA its AFL all the way. Noone here plays rugby. Soccer (i am not a lover of that word....but it has its uses) is becoming more and more popular, due largely to Adelaides Italian population. I love soccer as a game...and go to a few local games, but i hav'nt yet been to see Adelaide play in the ASL.... Will no doubt have a look next season.

RichS Jul 8th 2004 5:40 pm

Soccer is a tough word to say isn't it.

Yes, I've also heard that Adelaide and Perth both have stronger 'soccer' interst than elsewhere in the country.

Though I'm informed Venables has been announced coach of Newcastle (NSW) next season.

soapy© Jul 8th 2004 5:45 pm

Yes, I've also heard that Adelaide and Perth both have stronger 'soccer' interst than elsewhere in the country.

Though I'm informed Venables has been announced coach of Newcastle (NSW) next season.
yip true, i heard that in the news this morn, funny gordon strachan was out here last month. do u think he was out for the same reasons????

renth Jul 8th 2004 5:46 pm

Soccer is on the wane again in Perth. I've not been but hear the standard is comparable to League Division 3 complete with a "shed" of sad pommies who don't know how to let go chanting "the referees a wan*er" etc...

I support the Eagles, why? because I went to see them about 4 times in the late 80s when they were the only national Aussie rules side in WA.

Now you've got the Dockers too, whom I like but always wonder who their supporters were supporting before the Dockers came along.

owieb Jul 8th 2004 5:55 pm

Dockers supporter! :cool:

Because my wife works for one of their sponsors and we went to a training session with them! The players were all really friendly and down to earth, and were just enjoying themselves. Plus we get free tickets to all the games so it makes it nice and cheap to go along to the matches! :D

Never thought I'd be into it so much; not really been a big soccer fan, used to go and watch the internationals at wembley, but that was about it.

Now find myself going to subi oval every fortnight and getting right into the game and waving my flag when we score!

Just gutted that I'm too old to be out there playing. :(

Bordy Jul 8th 2004 5:57 pm

Essendon for us, not to sure why. First couple of years here I knew nothing about it but watched it & gradually got dragged into it. I remember reading somewhere that Mathew Lloyd used to live in Edinburgh so maybe that swayed me towards the Bombers.
I now think its the greatest game out there & just wish it was international.
I watched a bit of Euro 2004 but found it pretty boring compared to AFL now.

RichS Jul 8th 2004 6:00 pm

love the abundance of sport here, as I do love my sport. Have to say that I do miss the parochialism that goes with footie back home (in fact just about anywhere in europe).

Strachan actually turned up at half time in the Kangaroos-Swans game (which the Swans won) on Ch9 the other week. Reckoned he was doing a world tour with his wife looking at how other sports motivate/coach/asses fitness etc. He'd spent a week or 2 with the Kangas prior to the game. Presumably after they got flogged he realised that whatever they were doing it wasn't right.

soapy© Jul 8th 2004 6:01 pm

Originally posted by Bordy
Essendon for us, not to sure why. First couple of years here I knew nothing about it but watched it & gradually got dragged into it. I remember reading somewhere that Mathew Lloyd used to live in Edinburgh so maybe that swayed me towards the Bombers.
I now think its the greatest game out there & just wish it was international.
I watched a bit of Euro 2004 but found it pretty boring compared to AFL now.
auch your a wee safty noo:D

hevs Jul 8th 2004 6:08 pm

Essendon (you'd never guess what with my avatar and all:D )

1. beacuase i couldn't have a strip that would clash with my hair:D

2. The song is marginally less gay that many of the other ones

3. No one else in my Aussie family supports them, so that way we get to go to more scrappy games;)

4. I found out once i had pledged my allegence that my grandad (RIP) supported them upon his arrival here in 1967. He was a £10 pom and landed at Essendon airport, so i was very chuffed with that:)

RichS Jul 8th 2004 6:10 pm

hevs - be honest you just like the short shorts. never mind all this "my grandad this and that" rubbish.