British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Affordable acreage near Brisbane? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/affordable-acreage-near-brisbane-279801/)

Nicstids Jan 25th 2005 7:55 am

Affordable acreage near Brisbane?

Hi,

We're hoping to get our Skilled Independent visa in the next couple of months and are still dithering about where to go! Currently we're looking at Brisbane!

Ideally we'd like an acreage property (say 1-2 acres) within commuting distance of Brisbane - probably have to be the CBD for me. We'll have hopefully about $400,000 to put down on a property. Originally the idea was that we would be mortgage free but I'm not sure that's really achievable on that sort of budget.....Can anybody give me some pointers on areas to look at? Mrs Dagboy?!

Thanks

teagg Jan 25th 2005 8:09 am

Re: Affordable acreage near Brisbane?

Hi there
when we were out there in Jun 03 (reconnaissance mission!) we visited Samford, about 40 mins drive or train to CBD - and liked what we saw... if you search on google there's some UK guy who has been out a few years and raves about Samford... hence my request that we go and visit there...
There are various size properties for sale and they are releasing land over time for housebuilding anywhere up to 5 acre blocks I think. (Though not sure of the situation now!)

However, we've ended up in a three bed flat in Sydney!!! (she rolls about laughing!)

HTH

mlbonner Jan 25th 2005 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Nicstids
Hi,

We're hoping to get our Skilled Independent visa in the next couple of months and are still dithering about where to go! Currently we're looking at Brisbane!

Ideally we'd like an acreage property (say 1-2 acres) within commuting distance of Brisbane - probably have to be the CBD for me. We'll have hopefully about $400,000 to put down on a property. Originally the idea was that we would be mortgage free but I'm not sure that's really achievable on that sort of budget.....Can anybody give me some pointers on areas to look at? Mrs Dagboy?!

Thanks

Can only tell you the areas near me (northside) and they would be;
Narangba,
Samford,
Warner,
Albany Creek,
Mt Glorious,

Depends where you go and exactly what you want, but somewhere like Samford, you'd be hard to go mortgage free (though would get somewhere decent) for that amount.
Samford: 3bed acreage & pool (this has about 40 acres, so way more than you asked for, but it should give you an idea)

teagg Jan 25th 2005 11:51 am

Originally Posted by mlbonner
(this has about 40 acres, so way more than you asked for, but it should give you an idea)

Oh goodness (I haven't been posting long enough to know the protocol re 'full and frank' language/usage)... gracious me....
489k would get you a studio/one bed flat on the north shore of Sydney (I'm now in paroxysms of laughter...)

on the other hand - who'd want to have to mow the lawn of 40 acres (yes yes I know it's not all lawn - but don't interrupt my wondrous, sleep deprived [baby was awake during night and up at crack of sparrows and some silly mother didn't go to bed early enough last night!] witticisms!)

On the other hand - maybe my Dh will get relocated northwards!!

I'm off to sleep to become a better (well at least coherent) woman.
ttfn
teagg

blossom Jan 25th 2005 4:05 pm

Hi, sounds like we're looking for similar things! Good luck with your search,. We are currently looking between gold coast hinterland and Brisbane, but until we get there, I feel it is all pie in the sky.

Reality checks will happen once we hit the ground and are over there to look properly.

Until we sell our house, 'we aint going anywhere' as my hubby keeps telling me. Just need to get the agent working a bit harder me thinks.

Any particular reason you want acreage?

regards
Blossom

Nicstids Jan 25th 2005 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by blossom
Hi, sounds like we're looking for similar things! Good luck with your search,. We are currently looking between gold coast hinterland and Brisbane, but until we get there, I feel it is all pie in the sky.

Reality checks will happen once we hit the ground and are over there to look properly.

Until we sell our house, 'we aint going anywhere' as my hubby keeps telling me. Just need to get the agent working a bit harder me thinks.

Any particular reason you want acreage?

regards
Blossom

We're hoping to go out on a reccie this summer and it would be nice to have some areas to concentrate on. One of my hubby's ex work colleagues has bought in Mudgeeraba and it sounds lovely but I just think that it's going to be too far from Brisbane jobwise. I don't mind commuting but that may be just a bit too far!

Main reason for acreage is just to get a feeling of space. Last thing we want to do is move to Aus and live on an estate cheek by jowl with the next door neighbour. Couldn't believe when we visited a couple of years ago how close together a lot of the houses were! Also we're both keen bikers and it would be nice if our 9 year old could have a motocrosser/quad bike and some land to ride around on!

Nicstids Jan 25th 2005 8:14 pm

Can only tell you the areas near me (northside) and they would be;
Narangba,
Samford,
Warner,
Albany Creek,
Mt Glorious,

Depends where you go and exactly what you want, but somewhere like Samford, you'd be hard to go mortgage free (though would get somewhere decent) for that amount.
Samford: 3bed acreage & pool (this has about 40 acres, so way more than you asked for, but it should give you an idea)

Thanks a lot for that. Samford does look nice - I've put it on the list to look at!

MrsDagboy Jan 26th 2005 1:23 am

Hi,

Thanks

Hi Nicstids, sorry I hadnt seen this thread before. You will probably have to define "commuting" - some people commute one & a half to 2 hrs from the Sunshine coast & Gold Coast, but I wouldnt want to do it :scared: . It depends on what you are used to.

But here are some idea on acreage anyway & general idea on commute times & comments -

Burpengary/Morayfield/Caboolture area - Plenty of acreage in this area in your price bracket, but commute times are likely to be around 1 1/4 hrs by train (remember Im talking *real* commute times here, train trip 55 mins + 5-10 mins to get to the station + 5-10 mins walk from station to work in CBD) & not everyone agrees that its a desirable neighbourhood! At least it has the huge advantage of the train for commuting, which most other places dont have.

Samford - nice area, hot in summer, cold in winter, absolutely bugger all public transport so you will have to drive to work (around an hour on a good day), or drive to Ferny Grove & catch the train (similar times to Caboolture). I think you will struggle big time to find a house in your price range, but you may get lucky. FWIW, my bet is that if you call the agent about that house that Michelle posted, it would be a fair drive out of Samford ;) .

Capalaba/Thornlands/Sheldon - you wont find anything in your price range, although if you go up into the $500K bracket you will find a few. Generally a nice area, (although Capalaba is a little bit dodgy, but alot better than many others), cooler cos its near the coast, no public transport, driving to the CBD would be approx 40-45 mins.

Logan Reserve/Waterford area - You'll find stuff in your price range, area is a bit of a challenge, but could be worse, train from Loganlea is the closest public transport, similar commute to Caboolture. Be aware that some of this area floods quite badly & can get cut off by floodwaters if its bad.

Jimboomba/Munruben/Greenbank - Once again the area is a challenge :eek: , bloody hot in summer & cold in winter, there is also an army range where they practice manoevres, so be aware of that if you look at the Greenbank area in case there is any noise. The main trainline south to Sydney runs through there as well, lots of freight trains, so be aware that if you are anywhere near the track you may get noise. Major commute from the southern end of the area & bugger all public transport. Ditto the flooding, from previous area.

There are plenty of other places further out (eg Dayboro, Anstead & Karalee area, Ormeau etc), but the commute would be getting too much.

My disclaimer - any of the areas that I have described as not so desirable or a challenge are MY opinion of the area & not a reflection on anyone who lives there. It really depends so much on what you are used to - but those areas would be considered not so great by Australian (or perhaps more correctly, Brisbane) standards. Compared to some of the rougher areas of the UK they are probably paradise :) .

Anyway, hope that helps, if you needany more specific info just yell :) .

PS. Blossom, Logan Village is further out from Waterford area, its gone ahead quite a bit in the last few years. It has a small "village" (although not a village by UK stanards) with a corner store, newsagents, hot bread shop, pub etc. Mostly all acreage properties, some very nice but also alot of "bush blocks" where its not been cleared so be aware when you look on real estate.com that not all are suitable for horses. Commute to the CBD would be a bit of a pain (theres really only 1 road in & out until they build a new bridge & its not a direct route to the motorway) & as I mentioned above there are quite a few flooding issues so be aware that many roads get flooded & properties get cut off when theres alot of rain.

My neighbour just bought a horse property down there & it cost her $1.2 million (AND the house needed work doing to it! :scared: LOL )

Nicstids Jan 26th 2005 12:03 pm

Thanks for those suggestions :)

If I do manage to persuade Mr Nicstids that it would be better to stretch ourselves a bit and get a mortgage, what areas do you think we could look at with a budget of say $550-600K?

MrsDagboy Jan 27th 2005 3:20 am

What was the maximum time that you wanted to have to commute? With that sort of money I would be looking at Samford, Rochedale, Thornlands, Carbrook, Mt Cotton, Sheldon, Warner, Cashmere & Redland Bay where you should be able to pick up something.

Hope this works, I did a search on real estate for properties over 4000sqm (1 acre), priced between $450K & $620K in the above areas (minus Samford) & surrounding suburbs & came up with this (44 properties)

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...king=&p=10&o=p

A separate one for Samford because including surrounding suburbs will take you too far out same parameters (9 properties)

Hope this helps :) .

MrsDagboy Jan 27th 2005 3:35 am

Ooops, 2 things.

1. when I talked about Samford in my 1st post it should say "drive to Ferny Grove & catch the train (similar times to driving). "

2. Also try Anstead/Moggill/Bellbowrie area.

Nicstids Jan 27th 2005 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
What was the maximum time that you wanted to have to commute? With that sort of money I would be looking at Samford, Rochedale, Thornlands, Carbrook, Mt Cotton, Sheldon, Warner, Cashmere & Redland Bay where you should be able to pick up something.

Hope this works, I did a search on real estate for properties over 4000sqm (1 acre), priced between $450K & $620K in the above areas (minus Samford) & surrounding suburbs & came up with this (44 properties)

A separate one for Samford because including surrounding suburbs will take you too far out same parameters (9 properties)

Hope this helps :) .

Thanks again Mrs D. You're a star. Would give you karma but I'm darned if I can work out how to do it!! (Total technophobe I'm afraid!)

mlbonner Jan 27th 2005 10:26 pm

Thanks again Mrs D. You're a star. Would give you karma but I'm darned if I can work out how to do it!! (Total technophobe I'm afraid!)

LOL - On Mrs DB post, there is a blue button under her name that says 'karma'. Just click on that, then fill in the box with a nice little message and your name, and submit it :)

NB: The more karma you have, the more you give.

Nicstids Jan 28th 2005 1:05 pm

LOL - On Mrs DB post, there is a blue button under her name that says 'karma'. Just click on that, then fill in the box with a nice little message and your name, and submit it :)

NB: The more karma you have, the more you give.

Thanks for that. I think I've worked it out now :o

paula elliott Apr 28th 2005 12:04 pm

Hi
You Sound A Bit Like Us. We Are A Family Of Four And Looking For Somewhere Within Commuter Distance Of Brisbane. We Have Been Told That Samford Is Very Nice, So We Are Going To Head There And See What We Think. Are You In Oz Yet? If So Where, And Do You Like It. We Also Want A Bit Of Acerage, But It Is My Hubby Who Wants The Quad Bike And Not My Son. We Will Have Around Aus$400,000. To Spend. We Also Think We Will Probably End Up With A Small Mortgage, Never Mind.
Hoe To Hear From You
Paula Elliott And Family