Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advise Please!! Moving to Perth in 2 weeks.

Advise Please!! Moving to Perth in 2 weeks.

Old Aug 28th 2007, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

nicolamilne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advise Please!! Moving to Perth in 2 weeks.

Hi Everyone.

Well myself and my partner have taken the big step. We are moving over to Perth on a years working holiday visa in 2 weeks time!

We have rented out our flat, sold out cars, cleared our debts, now we just have to sit and wait to get on the plane.

we have been having some problems with the Inland Revenue - has anyone any advise on what they did with contacting inland revenue etc before they left? the problems seems to be that we are making an income on renting out our flat, and also leaving our jobs.....nothing is straight forward!!

We have family in Perth that we are going to stay with so we dont have to worry about accomodation when we get there.

Is a bank account the best step to do first? can people recommend the best way to get your money from the UK account to the Ozzy account? Bank Transfer? Take is all in travellers cheques? etc

Also, we have travel insurance, which covers us up to £3,000,000 medical expenses - are we still best to get MediCare?

Lots of questions....sorry....but we are clueless as to what to do next!

Thank you for any anwers you can give!

Nicola x
Old Aug 28th 2007, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to allDan the Plumber is a name known to all
Default Re: Advise Please!! Moving to Perth in 2 weeks.

Hi there,
Don't know if I will help much but I would certainly say you would have to get Medicare, you can sort this when you arrive. Do you mean paying tax on your rental income in UK or Oz? I guess you mean UK as not permanent citizen, although if you do work in Australia you will need to do a tax return. Whether or not you need to declare rental income overseas I can't remember. Best bet is to seek advise of accountant there or one here up to date on Aussie tax laws.
Blimey
Cheers,
Dan
Old Aug 29th 2007, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, my head is just all over the place, so much to do and not enough time!!!! All help is apprecitaed
Old Aug 30th 2007, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Yup, definetley get Medicare right after getting your tax file number.
You can open a Westpac account from the UK, they have loads of branches in Perth and the surrounds, think you pay about $5 a month. You will need to go in to the bank when you arrive and activate it.
If you have a lot of money then compare rates with Ozforex and your bank, most people use Ozforex or similar companies but we found that our bank (First Direct) gave a better rate at the time. Rates are quite good at the moment.

It is great out here, the hardest thing will be missing friends and family. There are plenty of people here who live in Perth who can help. There is a contact list of people to get help from here
http://britishexpats.com/articles/au...lping-friends/

though if you have family here then you should be in a good position.. Good luck

Chris
Old Aug 30th 2007, 6:37 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicolamilne
Hi Everyone.

Well myself and my partner have taken the big step. We are moving over to Perth on a years working holiday visa in 2 weeks time!

We have rented out our flat, sold out cars, cleared our debts, now we just have to sit and wait to get on the plane.

we have been having some problems with the Inland Revenue - has anyone any advise on what they did with contacting inland revenue etc before they left? the problems seems to be that we are making an income on renting out our flat, and also leaving our jobs.....nothing is straight forward!!

We have family in Perth that we are going to stay with so we dont have to worry about accomodation when we get there.

Is a bank account the best step to do first? can people recommend the best way to get your money from the UK account to the Ozzy account? Bank Transfer? Take is all in travellers cheques? etc

Also, we have travel insurance, which covers us up to £3,000,000 medical expenses - are we still best to get MediCare?

Lots of questions....sorry....but we are clueless as to what to do next!

Thank you for any anwers you can give!

Nicola x
Open an australian account, national bank, commonwealth, westpac. Your choice. Open an account with Ozforex or any of the exchange brokers and then transfer your money to thier london account. Magically your australian dollars will appear in your australian account.

Make sure your travel insurance will cover you for a trip of 1 year and ensure it covers you for the level you are comfortable with. Many limit the length of trip to 90 days and most will require you to pay out first and then make a claim later.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

JAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to allJAMMIE DODGER is a name known to all

Hi Nicola,

With regards to your flat in england, If you go to the Inland revenue web site and download the form NRL1 you and your Partner will both need to fill in one of these forms.
This will include you in the Oversea Non-Resident Landlord Scheme which allows your Letting Agent (assuming your using one) or Tenant to pay you rent without the deduction of tax. This confirmation letter can take some time so until then your Agent will/Should deduct tax from the rental payment. The confirmation letter will state a date that you are included in the scheme and the agent can refund you any tax already deducted since that date.

I worked for a Letting agent so I hope this helps.

Good Luck in Perth, Should be following on at the end of September.

Regards
Helen
Old Aug 30th 2007, 9:43 am
Just Joined

Hi Helen.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 9:44 am
Just Joined

oops - posted rpely by mistake

We have done the NRL1 form, and we have had the conformation back...BUT....we have just found out that we may not be eligable for expemtpion because its not a full tax year we are away for, its sept/sept. Its the P85 forms that are causing us problems - do so with income tax etc. FINALLY managed to get an appointment with my local inland revenue office next week so fingers crossed they can help us more than the people on the phone can! If not, i think i will cry!