Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advise, family wants to drive my car on OZ

Advise, family wants to drive my car on OZ

Old Mar 30th 2010, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

fa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nicefa kin su pa is just really nice
Default Advise, family wants to drive my car on OZ

My family are visiting at the moment (Qld) we have two cars one fully insured and the other has just got that rego thing (3rd party, still trying to understand it)

Can my brother-in-law drive either one of my cars on his normal UK licence or do I need different insurance?

I was thinking he could drive the car with 3rd party as it is the car not the driver who is insured? I think?

Any advise would be great, what else have other people done when family visit?

Cheers you brainy people
Old Mar 30th 2010, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice
Default Re: Advise, family wants to drive my car on OZ

Originally Posted by fa kin su pa
My family are visiting at the moment (Qld) we have two cars one fully insured and the other has just got that rego thing (3rd party, still trying to understand it)

Can my brother-in-law drive either one of my cars on his normal UK licence or do I need different insurance?

I was thinking he could drive the car with 3rd party as it is the car not the driver who is insured? I think?

Any advise would be great, what else have other people done when family visit?

Cheers you brainy people
Read your policy it will tell who can drive also the one which is fully insured also has the 3rd party.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 12:31 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Just a word of caution. Rego and its CTP is NOT 3rd party insurance. It covers personal injury claims to third parties only eg. Running someone over, hitting a cyclist.

Its does not cover damage to someone elses car or property, your own car or a whole raft of other scenarios for which you will be personally liable in full.

You should really think about getting third party cover from an insurance broker as a minimum if that vehicles used to cover damage to other cars in the event of an accident for example.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Most policies in Oz cover anyone driving the car with your consent. The big exception is when you have named drivers in order to get a lower premium.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

I'd pick up the phone and ring my insurance company!
Old Mar 30th 2010, 8:56 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by James516
Most policies in Oz cover anyone driving the car with your consent. The big exception is when you have named drivers in order to get a lower premium.
What he said.

All my policies for cars & bike cover other drivers/riders.

Check the policies, but you will find the fully comp policies cover all (with certain excesses for younger drivers)
Old Mar 30th 2010, 11:33 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furkew
What he said.

All my policies for cars & bike cover other drivers/riders.

Check the policies, but you will find the fully comp policies cover all (with certain excesses for younger drivers)
Our policy had a 1,500 excess for named non residents with foreign driving licences which we thought was a lot and went off to find a hire car - then the Hire Car Company excesses were 5K !! nuts... so we ended up paying some tiny amount to had as named drivers on to the policy for 2 weeks.

But +3 on the "Ring your insurer"